Biography | Library | Emmys | OLTL's Viki | Official Fan Club | About site  
Home Email  
More Articles
71 Spoiled with Love
72 DTV Cover
72 Memories Family
73 Lived like Gypsy
74 Not Ready
74 Miss SuperCool
75 Life Story
76 Five Years
76 Sensitive
77 SOD Cover
77 Surprised
77 ATVA Cover
77 RBD Cover
77 Lost her Touch
77 Daytime Stars
77 Like Yesterday
78 DTV Cover
78 Long Distance
78 My Rules
79 SOD Cover
79 Don't Step

70s Favorite Holiday
70s Loving Memories
70s Most Popular
70s Viki's Life Story
70s SOD Cover

80 On Her Own
81 So happy
81 More Children
81 2nd Pregnancy
81 Will she
83 ATV Cover
83 SOD Cover
83 Good Life
84 Bouncing Back
85 Niki Smith
86 Viva Miss Viki
88 Own Life
88 OLTL 20 years
89 Private Lives

90 Share Alike
90 American Dynasty
90 Day in Life
90 Shattering Myth
91 SOW Cover
91 Leading Lady
91 Two Emmys
91 DTV Cover
91 Lady of Manor
91 No Substitutes
91 20 Quotes
92 SOW Cover
92 Episodes Cover
92 Lunchtime Fav
92 SOM Cover
93 SOD Cover
93 OLTL 25 Yrs
94 New Age Innoc
95 SOM Cover
95 24 Years
95 SOW Cover M
95 SOW Cover A
95 With Reservations
95 SOW Cover O
96 Victorious
96 Thank the Lord
96 Her Life to Live
96 Multiplicity
96 In Step
97 Adores Her Job
97 One Life to Give
97 Who Says
98 30 Something
98 Life's Work
99 High Notes
99 SOD Cover
99 Changing Times
99 When Blondie
99 SID Cover
99 SOW Cover
99 TV Guide Online

00 Daytime Divas
00 SOW Cover
00 The Babe
00 Performer
00 Life Goes On
00 Tell All
00 Will Survive
00 Incomparable
00 SOD Cover
00 To the Mob
00 Promo
00 SID Cover
00 Last Chance
01 Thanks
01 Sentinel
01 Regis
01 Pictoral
01 Big 3 0
01 Click
01 Roundup
01 Good Show
01 Celebrates
01 Tribute
01 SID Cover A
01 Wedding
01 Soap Net 1
01 Soap Net 2
01 Soap Net 3
01 Time To
01 Secrets
01 Luncheon
01 OLTL Luncheon
01 Emmys
01 Perf of Week
01 SID Cover J
01 Fight
01 Wild Nightmare
01 Inmates
01 Real Life Love
01 Postcard
01 SOW Cover
01 Reveals
01 Changeling
02 Dear Niki
02 Promo
02 SOW Cover
02 Together
02 SOU Cover

Erika Slezak Library

Erika Slezak's Life Story From Afternoon TV - 1975

Hollywood's Child:
"We had more toys than F.A.O. Schwartz"

On August 5, 1946, world-renowned character actor Walter Slezak and his wife, former opera star Johanna Van Rijn, welcomed their second child into the world. Christened Erika Alma Hermina Slezak, the little girl was called Ricci (pronounced "Ricki") from childhood - "Except," as Erika recalls today, "when my mother and father were angry with me. Then it was Erika Alma!"

Erika describes her parents as "the best parents anyone could have. My mother, I would have to say, is the most terrific human being I know - except that she's always right! She's clever, she's beautiful, she's thin. She has the most gorgeous figure. She's a ceramist, and has one-woman shows in Europe.

"My father is extremely sensitive and emotional. Very, very warm and loving. He's kind of a big man in every sense of the word, I think. I love my father more than anything in the world. I don't love him, I worship him. Both of them, really.

"I was never treated any differently because of my father," she adds modestly. "When your father is a character actor and not a glamorous leading man, it's not very impressive." Although her father knew many famous people and the house was filled with actors and writers and musicians, Erika was never particularly impressed because, as she puts it, "I was just a little kid. I didn't know they were famous!

Although German was spoken in the Slezak home and was the first language Erika learned, Erika, her older sister, Ingrid, and her younger brother, Leo, had a thoroughly American upbringing. Until Erika was six, they lived both in Hollywood (Erika's birthplace) and on a farm in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The only thing Erika remembers about the farm is that she once nearly poisoned the chickens and the dog by feeding them the wrong food, but she remembers Hollywood quite well, and the rather opulent life she lived there.

"We had everything a kid could want, plus a lot more. We had more toys that F.A.O. Schwartz has. We were pretty children, and we were popular, and everybody who came to the house brought us toys. My favorite was a record player that was like a jukebox. It lit up, and it had all sorts of wonderful colors.

"My father built a playhouse for us. It must have been five or six feet tall and at least ten feet deep. It had windows and a door. And my mother painted it so that it looked like the gingerbread house in 'Hansel and Gretel.' It was gorgeous! We also had tents in the backyard that we were allowed to sleep in. We'd sleep in them for ten minutes - until we got scared and ran inside."

Birthday parties, a big event in any child's life, were occasions for Cecil B. DeMille-type extravaganzas in the Slezak home. "We always had huge parties with clowns or magicians or some such entertainment. But the big thing on our birthdays was that my father would get up early and drive us to Schwab's drugstore to have breakfast. That was a great time for us. You got breakfast at home, but a drugstore, you could order pancakes! or waffles! Or anything you wanted. And you didn't have to do the dishes or anything. And the child whose birthday it was could sit in the front seat of the car. My birthday came in summer, so the top was down. And that was wonderful!

"We all got presents on everybody's birthday. The birthday child would get a lot, and the others would get something so they wouldn't feel left out- which I think is a good idea."

One birthday in particular that sticks out in Erika's mind is the one for which her mother hired a magician to entertain the kiddies. "I was four or five, and I was very, very curious. I was bright enough to know there was usually an answer for everything. I watched the magician arrive, and while he was in the house setting up, I went out in the back and went in the car and let the rabbit go. And when the time came for the rabbit trick, there was no rabbit. I didn't do it to be mean. I just wanted to see if he could really make magic."

Despite their privileged childhood ("I had my own room and bath when I was ten"), Erika says that the Slezak children were not allowed to behave like spoiled brats. "There was certainly a great deal of discipline. There was no such thing as talking back or raising your voice - I don't raise my voice to my parents to this day. The words 'shut up' didn't exist in our house. We were spanked when we needed it. We were brought up to have enormous respect for adults. In our house, when you were told to go to bed, you went. And I think one thing that is very characteristic of our home is that we were terribly happy. We were very, very close."

Erika and her brother were especially close, although her sister was closer to her in age. "My sister is only a year-and-a-half older, but she was always very grown up. She was born at age twenty three, I think. She had boyfriends galore when she was thirteen. She looked eighteen. She was gorgeous."

When Erika was seven, the family spent a year in New York, where her father was starring in Broadway's "My Three Angels." When, a season or two later, he went into "Fanny," he told his wife and kids, "If the show's a hit, we'll move to New York permanently." The show was a smash hit, and the move took place.

"My mother had to do all the work," Erika remembers. "She sold the house in California, packed up everything. We had a nurse, Maria, for years. She was a wonderful, wonderful woman. She and my mother packed everything up and, with thirty-nine suitcases, three kids, all the cats, and my pet turtle, we got on the train for New York. The turtle died shortly after we left because I decided he was lonely in the sink and I put a rock in to keep him company. The jerking of the train cause him to be bashed against the rock all day, and he died a violent death. I was devastated, but the porter was very nice to me. He said, 'Don't worry, we'll give him a nice funeral.' We were passing through Albuquerque, and the porter said, "Give me the turtle and I will find a nice box and bury it.' I looked out the window and saw him throwing it into a field as we went whizzing by.

"We had to change trains in Chicago, and my mother stood there on the platform for hours counting suitcases. We got to New York, and waiting at the station was my darling daddy, who took us to our beautiful new apartment on Central Park West, where there was a parrot waiting."

New York's Child:
"I had a grand time growing up"

Walter and Johanna Slezak didn't really think New York City was the place to bring up children, so after a year on Central Park West, they moved to Larchmont, a suburb. "First we rented a beautiful house," Erika remembers. "We lived in that house for about year and then my father bough an even more beautiful house on five acres of land."

In Larchmont, Erika's budding desire to become an actress burst forth in full force and, at the age of eight, she organized a dramatic club for the purpose of demonstrating her talent. "There were only three members - my best friend, Nina Resnick, and the guy from up the road, and me. I made a stage. I had a bedsheet for a curtain. We put on 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'Red Riding Hood,' all the fairy tales. Our parents came to see us, and any brothers and sisters we could drag in. I used to spend hours making the costumes and painting the scenery. My mother had drawers of things I could use - wrapping paper and fabric and scraps and old sheets. My father had as a hobby, a whole workshop, and I could go and get wood or paint or whatever I wanted. Or I would get on my bicycle and bargain-shop the five and dime."

She also starred in a third-grade production of "Sleeping Beauty," but remembers a serious flaw in that production. The boy who played the prince refused to kiss her at the crucial moment! "He shook me awake!" she declares, adding, "everyone laughed a lot."

Like most American children, Erika had her share of lessons. And, like most children, she didn't appreciate the spirit in which they were given. "Piano teachers always wanted you to play Chopin and Bach. You could never play anything neat. Now I love Chopin and Bach, but to a kid that's not very interesting. My mother would say, 'You'd better practice, or you'll be sorry when you grow up.' I gave it up when I went away to boarding school, and I was so glad to be finished with it. And I am so sorry now."

If Erika was not enthralled with her piano lessons, one of her teachers at least gave her something to think about. "He was a spiritualist," she recalls, even now disturbed by the memory. "I won't mention his name because he's doing very well now. He used to tell me all about ghosts. He showed me pictures of hands washing themselves. He told me about poltergeists and ghosts that roam around in the night. I would act very brave and say, "Tell me more!" and I would go home at night and lie in bed, petrified. He scared me to death!"

There were also ballet lessons, ballroom-dancing lessons at Honey Adams' Ballroom dancing School, and violin lessons at public school. Erika remembers vividly the time her violin attempts ruined the school Christmas pageant because "I was the only kid who couldn't play "We Three Kings."

The ballroom-dancing lessons were also a trial due to the fact that Erika nearly always found herself two-stepping with another girl. "There was always an excess of girls, and the guys asked the prettiest ones to dance with them. I was not pretty. Cute, but not pretty. I had freckles and braces. I was also chubby. I was monstrous. I felt very ugly. Today, when I see kids coming out of a ballroom-dancing school, I think it's so adorable. But when you're going through it, it's painful."

If she didn't exactly shine in extra-curricular activities, she always topped her class academically. "I always head E's and A's and 100's. I skipped the eighth grade, so I never learned a thing about the Civil War. They taught that in eighth grade.

Being smart, however, was not without its drawbacks. Erika, who had crushes on "every boy I met," met up with the age old problem of male chauvinism at an early age. 'There was a guy name Seth who sat in back of me in fifth grade. We were the two smartest in the class. Nobody talked to me, and nobody talked to him. But he didn't talk to me either, much as I wanted him to.'

Still, life was bearable. Much more than bearable. In fact. Despite ruined Christmas pageants and painful ballroom-dancing lessons, Erika thinks of her pre-teen years as extremely happy. "I had a grand time growing up. I had mononeucleosis one summer and I had to spend the whole summer lying on the front porch reading. Even that wasn't bad. There was always something going on."

But as she grew from chubby child into an awkward adolescent, some problems developed that made her life not quite so grand.

Teenage Years:
"I have had some of the worst dates in the history of datehood."

Because Erika skipped the eighth grade, she was eligible to begin high school at the age of thirteen. "I went to boarding school, the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Greenwich, Connecticut," she relates. "I was younger than all the other girls, and they wouldn't speak one word to me. They were a wretched bunch of girls. They were all from very wealthy families. I had three friends who were nice, and the rest of them were the most wretched bunch of girls I've ever met. I have rotten memories of that school. And the nuns."

Her agony ended in her last year of high school, when she switched to the Convent of the Sacred Heart outside of Philadelphia. "The difference was night and day. It was a terrific school, and all the girls were nice. I was elected vice-president of my class and president of the Catholic Action Council. I was in the Literary Club, too."

She was also at an age to date, but where she had once developed crushes on every boy she met, adolescence found her boy-shy, and the word "creep" was frequently used to describe the opposite sex.

"I have had some of the worst dates in the history of datehood," she insists. "And I suffered through them and kept wishing the evening would be over. Not that the guys were so terrible. I was so scared. I was not good at talking to people I didn't know. I could talk to adults, but not to people my own age.

"I used to turn down dates all the time. My mother would be standing next to me when I'd be on the phone, and she'd hear me say, "No, thank you very much." She would say, "Go! Go! She never understood why I wouldn't go. I would rather stay home and read or watch television than spend a wasted evening."

There was one evening in particular that she wished fervently she had stayed home instead of being talked into going out. "I went out with an ex-boyfriend of my sister, who called to ask her out and got so angry when he found out she was out with somebody else, he asked me out. We went to his house, where he made me something I had never had before - a martini in a water glass. At home, we were allowed to have gin and tonic on Sundays, but with a tiny bit of gin and a lot of tonic. But this was practically straight alcohol. And I liked it so much I said, "Fix me another one."

Needless to say, Erika's young body could not cope with two water-glassfuls of martinis, and she did what anyone else would do under the circumstances: she threw up. The worst, however, was yet to come. "I got home late. I was supposed to be home by eleven o'clock and I got home about twelve. I wandered in carrying my shoes. And my parents were livid. I've never known them to be so angry."

Erika's ventures into the world of greasepaint and footlights continued throughout high school, and it was then that she began to think seriously about planning her acting future. First, though, she had to convince her parents.

"In high school, I played Henrietta Barrett in the "Barretts of Wimpole Street." My father told me I was absolutely without talent and I shouldn't think of a career in theater. The next year, I played a Chinese man in "Lute Song." And that's when my father decided I had talent. He thought I was a very good Chinese man.

"My parents asked me if I was serious about being an actress, and I told them I was. My father said, "They you're going to do it the right way and get the proper training." There's nothing worse than children of famous parents trying to make it on their parents' coattails. My father also promised me that he would be the first to tell me if he thought I was bad. Fortunately, he hasn't said anything yet."

Erika applied for admission to several colleges in this country as well as the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London, England. She was accepted everyplace, and chose the Royal Academy. "I had to audition twice," she says. "Only three Americans were accepted out of about eight hundred applicants. I was only seventeen and the youngest person ever accepted there. I was very lucky."

She's also very proud of the fact that she was accepted on her own merit, not because she was Walter Slezak's daughter. "That was the one place I knew where my father's name didn't help me one little bit. Because he'd never worked in England. They didn't know who he was."

Eager as she was to get started at the Academy, she had to wait until the January following her graduation from high school. So she spent the time in a practical way, working at Sak's Fifth Avenue in White Plains, New York. "I started in Infants and Toddlers, and after almost beating three children, they promoted me to Gloves, Blouses, and Hosiery. My father used to call me once a day because he liked to hear me pick up the phone and say, "Miss Slezak - Gloves, Blouses, and Hosiery." I learned the whole con game of selling. How to talk someone into buying something. I used the money I made to buy furniture for my apartment in London.

When departure day finally dawned, Erika, accompanied by her mother, took off for London. They stayed at the exclusive Connaught Hotel until Erika got acclimated, and then Mrs. Slezak left and Erika moved into a smaller, far less exclusive hotel across the street from the Royal Academy.

"Then," Erika says, "I think began the happiest period of my life. Being seventeen and on your own is terrifying, and it's also wonderful. You see so much and discover so much. I cried the night my mother left. I felt deserted. Then, the next day, I thought, "Well, here I am! Let's do something about it!" I got myself a map of London and set off on foot. I just walked for five days, until school started. I went to movies at night, and the theater."

On the sixth day, she walked across the street to the school that was to prepare her for the fulfillment of her lifelong dream - to be an actress.

Royal Academy:
"I worked, worked, worked!"

Erika remembers well her first class at the Royal Academy. "It was a voice class. Since no one knew anyone, we all just sat there, and the teacher, Kate Fleming, who was a wonderful, wonderful teacher, gave us a book which happened to be 'Winnie, the Pooh,' and asked us to read something. She wanted to hear how our voices sounded. So everyone started reading in these beautiful English accents. And then the book came to me. I began to read, and she said, 'Stop! Stop!' I had a very hard kind voice - very American.

"She said, the master of understatement, 'You are American.' And I said, 'Yes.' She said, 'We'll have to do something about that. It is urged that you learn English.'

"I would go home (shortly after beginning classes Erika moved to an apartment which she shared with three other girls) and talk into a tape recorder, and within five months I had mastered it to the point where I could speak English. After about ten months, I was more native than the natives. My parents were So impressed! They're disappointed that I don't talk like that anymore."

In addition to voice, Erika studied fencing, movement, dance, period movement, acting, and mime. "I was so happy in that school," she sighs. "I worked, worked, worked." There were also History of the Theater classes once a week, during which the teacher would regale (and in Erika's case, petrify) the students with stories of ghosts in old English houses.

During vacations, Erika would travel to other European countries, usually finding a relative or two somewhere along the way to keep her company. "My brother was in school in Switzerland, so I would meet him. One summer, my sister and a friend came over and we bummed around Europe with little or no money. My father put me on a very strict allowance."

Erika fell deeply in love for the first time while attending RADA. The object of her affection was a fellow student, although he was quite a bit older than she. "He was twenty-seven or twenty-eight," she remembers, smiling at the recollection. "For the first time, I thought, 'Somebody else loves me." The romance didn't last long, but Erika believes it was sincere, and she thinks of it today with a great deal of fondness.

Students who complete the program at the Royal Academy go through seven terms of study, and it is only in the last two terms that they are allowed to work on a play. By the time Erika reached those final terms, she was so accomplished she netted the lead in her first play, "The Rehearsal," by Jean Anouilh. "I had seen the play in New York, and it was my dream part. And, low and behold, they gave it to me! I got good notices, and I was very happy. Then I was in 'No, No, Nanette.' I played the Ruby Keeler part which, in the original, has no singing and no dancing. I was in some other things, too."

Excellence was rewarded with prizes and speeches, the highest prize of the winter term being a gold medal. Erika didn't bag that one, but she did win the second highest award, the silver medal, that term and in the fall term she walked off with the top prize. "I also won the prize for speech and diction out of the whole class. At that point, I was the only American in my class. It wasn't bad at all, now that I think of it."

Graduation found her raring to work, although she regretted leaving the many friends she had made at the Academy. "I wanted to stay in England, but I couldn't because of the work-permit situation. They rarely allow Americans to work on the English stage."

So she came back to this country where, as she puts it, "I despaired. I was sure no one would ever hire me. I was out of work from April till September." During that time, she stayed with a friend on Long Island, and supported herself by going back to her old line, selling. It was not gloves, blouses, and hosiery this time, though. Instead, Erika plied her knowledge of "the selling con game" at a dress shop.

"Then," she recounts happily, "a very nice man named Tunc Yalman hired me to be the leading lady at the Milwaukee Repertory Company."

Professional Actress:
"There's always something that makes it fun."

Her first role at the Milwaukee theater was Electra, a demanding debut for a beginning actress. "I was scared," Erika admits, "because I was only twenty years old. It's a real power-packed shows; a rough thing to do. I was very lucky. I got better notices than any actress I've ever heard of."

The fact that the reviewer was a sportswriter from Oshkosh did nothing to dampen the young star's delight in her raves, nor did it keep her father from buying seventy-five copies of the paper and proudly sending the review to all his friends. "I was good," Erika chuckles on reflection, "but not that good."

She stayed at the theater for three seasons, taking advantage of her first summer's hiatus to do "The Philadelphia Story" at the Ivanhoe Theater in Chicago. Erika played Elizabeth Imbrie, the newspaper reporter, which was the second female lead. The first female lead was played by none other than Lee Bouvier, the younger sister of Jacqueline Onassis.

"I have rarely had so much fun," Erika says in recalling her experience with the show. "The people who came to see that play! It was like Who's Who. (A Who's Who minus Jackie, who was in Ireland at the time.) Lee was very, very nice to me. She could not have been more charming. At the end of the run she thanked me and invited me to visit her in London. Of course, I never took her up on it."

In Erika's second year at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater, she married a fellow actor in the cast. The marriage lasted only two years, but Erika is not at all bitter about the problems that caused it to fail. "We were very young and just not suited to each other," she says simply. There are absolutely no hard feelings. I'm certainly not soured on marriage or anything like that."

Following her third season in Milwaukee, she spent a season at the Alley Theater in Houston, then took off for Europe to recuperate from four years of hard work, marriage, and divorce. "I was really beat. I needed the rest badly. I had a terrific time in Europe. My parents were there and they are super people to be with. We went everywhere. They took me to Florence and all over Northern Italy, where I had never been before. We ate our way from Switzerland to Spain, where my father was shooting a film."

Erika had originally planned to stay in Europe for only three weeks, but at the end of that time, her father said, "Stay another month," and kept on saying that until, almost before she knew it, seven lovely, non-productive months had rolled by.

"In January, I decided that was enough of loafing. I came to New York for the first time. I had never lived on my own in the city." While looking for an apartment, she stayed with her best friend, Polly Seitz, whom she describes as a "nurse-midwife."

"She put up with all my carrying on. I thought I'll never work again. I was in complete despair."

The despair was short-lived, however, because Erika had only been in New York for two weeks when she was asked to go to Buffalo to play Desdemona in Othello. "At first, I didn't want to go because I'd just come to New York and I didn't want to go out of town to work. And I'd heard a lot of jokes about Buffalo in winter. But I finally went. And I spent six weeks in the coldest town in the world. My hotel was in the coldest square in the world, where the winds from all the corners of the earth meet. We would have snow, followed by ice, followed by rain which made everything a mess followed by more snow.

"But I have nice memories because we had a lot of fun there. "Othello" has a very big cast and the actors went everywhere in a group. We never had dinner, we always had banquets. We went to Niagra Falls six times, and it was frozen solid. We became very close."

Erika returned to New York on March 1 of 1971 "Again out of work, absolutely disconsolate, still not having found an apartment. My dear friend Polly took me in again. Most of my things were in storage. I was living in few things, just a couple of pairs of pants and two or three sweaters."

On March 2, disconsolate Erika received a call from ABC casting director, Joan D'Incecco, who asked her to audition for Doris Quinlan, the producer of "One Life to Live." She did the audition and was asked to return to show Agnes Nixon, the show's creator, what she could do.

"On March 17th, at eleven o'clock in the morning, I auditioned for Agnes Nixon, and at twelve-thirty I was sitting in my agent's office positive I had done the worst audition ever. And they called my agent's office and said, "Can she start tomorrow?" I cried and said, "Yes! Yes!" Then the impact of what I was about to do hit me. I had never been on television in my life and they were asking me to take over the character of Victoria Lord on one day's notice. I suddenly got petrified."

She picked up the script that afternoon, and when she reported for work the next morning - half an hour early" she had her lines down cold. "I could have said them backwards," she says wryly. "Then I discovered everybody else was changing all the dialogue. I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I was certain they'd made a mistake and had called to say they didn't mean me. I'd never have gotten through that day if it hadn't been for the other actors on the show and David Pressman, the director, who tried to explain the plot to me. I didn't know who anybody was. I'd say, "Who's Meredith?" They'd say, "She's your sister, I'd say, "Oh! My sister."

Although everyone in the cast was helpful that day, Erika particularly remembers the kindness of Lynn Benish, Ernest Graves, and Nat Polen. "They kind of took me by the hand and showed me where everything was. I had no idea what went on - on a television show. Everybody said I behaved as if I'd been doing television all my life. Sheer panic is all it could have been. Now, whenever anybody starts on our show, I make it a point to try and help them because I know what it's like to be so absolutely lost."

Erika says she has enjoyed every minute that she has been a part of "One Life to Live." "There have been times when I just didn't want to go to work, there have been times when I've had the flu or a virus and could hardly get out of bed. But on a soap, you can't just call in and say you aren't coming in. And I've gone in, and there's always something that makes it fun."

Perhaps the most fun she's had on the show was during the four days her father made a guest appearance. "It was brought about because he was going to be in the country, and Doris Quinlan had been saying for years, "Wouldn't it be fun if...?" He was contacted and he agreed to come on. He played my godfather who had come over to solve my problems.

"I had a very good time with him. I was more nervous than I had ever been in my whole life. Then I discovered he was more nervous than I was, and I stopped being nervous. He enjoyed it, but he said, in his entire seventy-two years he had never worked so hard. They gave him pages and pages to say. But it was fun. I enjoyed doing it. It would be nice if he could do one or two appearances a year."

Erika also enjoys working with all the regular cast members of "One Life." We have an exceptional cast. There's no inner fighting, no vying for star positions. "We're like one big family. And I'd say that is most due to Doris Quinlan. I like everybody on the show. Alice Hirson is one of my closest friends. Marilyn Chris is a good friend. We share a dressing room, so we have to be friends.

"Above and beyond that," she adds, "I'm working!"

Private Life:
"I want to live forever."

Erika has long since moved from her friend Polly's digs and now resides in a large, two-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. "I'm am allowed to live there by the grace of a little white Maltese named Ludwig, who is possibly the cutest dog in the world," she laughs, amending quickly, "not possibly-definitely the cutest dog in the world. I'm very prejudiced."

Her apartment she describes as "bright and warm," she says her excess of furniture is due to her passions for auctions. "I'm a terrible person to take to an auction because I buy anything. I also have a lot of plants, which I love."

Although "One Life to Live" doesn't allow her a great deal of free time, she takes advantages of weekends and days off to see friends, go for walks, read, and whip up gourmet meals in her kitchen. "My circle of friends is kind of small, but I am very lucky in that I have about three or four close, close friends. They come over a lot, but I don't have time to really entertain - give parties and that sort of thing. My best friend is a man I have known since I was fifteen years old. Patrick Hanson. He comes over and we sit and talk about the problems of the world.

"I go to parties sometimes. I love spending time with my friends in small, pleasant groups. Or with new people in groups of about ten. I'm really quite content with my life. I'm very happy with myself, with the way my life is going now.

"I love to cook. I make really good soufflés and quiches, and I make a terrific goulash. I learned most things from my mother. My mother is the world's best cook. I would rather eat at my parents' house than at any restaurant. She can make anything look good."

In the romance department, Erika admits she is very involved with someone, but demurs at mentioning his name, or even his profession. "My private life has always been very much my own in that sense," she explains. She does say that he is a "nice, nice person; a nice human being. If I spend the rest of my life with him, I can be very happy."

Although she has not announced any wedding plans, she is candid in admitting that she wants to marry and have children. "I'd like to have children and live in a house and raise vegetables. I don't go berserk when I see a baby carriage on the street, but I do like children. I would love my own. I didn't have them when I was twenty-one, and by the time I do have them, I'll probably be about thirty. I think that will be good because I'll be much more sensible about everything. I would like them to be as happy as I was when I was growing up."

Asked whether she would give up acting in the event of marriage and motherhood. Erika allows that she might - but only temporarily. "I don't want to quit working forever, but I might quit for a bit if I got married. I'll just have to wait to make a final decision on that."

As a person, Erika describes herself as a creature of extremes. "I live in dungarees and long dresses. It goes from one end to the other. I love to sleep in a long, silky nightgown an get up and put on dungarees and sneakers."

When discussing plans for the future, most actors talk of films and legitimate theater, sometimes or directing and writing. But Erika's plan for the future encompasses much more than the world of entertainment. "I would always like to work, but at the same time, I want to be happy. I want to keep on loving the guy I love now. I want to get married and have children. And I want to do things. I want to see the whole world. I've always wanted to do much more than there is time to do. But I'm going to do it all."

"And I want to live forever. That's all I want."

The End

Biography | Library | Emmys | OLTL's Viki | Official Fan Club | About site
Copyright 2002 ESFC    Home    -   Email