You should begin by meeting  some amateur radio operators (Hams). They're easy to spot: There's lots of antennas in their yards, on their cars...  They often have licence plates whit their callsign, ex:VE1MIK,VE90BU,VE9IQ etc....VE9 and VE1 means from New-Brunswick..

We can also find them a the local radio club ( C.R.A.R ) Club  Radio Amateur Restigouche, where they meet to talk about radio:  DX ( long distance communication ), national and international contest, Field day: a day where lots of Hams meet with their families and where lots of activities are organized for Hams, XYL ( operators wives ), QRP ( kids ), OM-QRO ( Grand-parents), friends, etc... everybody's welcome.

Hams are a great help in case of natural disasters ( floods, forest fires, earthquakes, storms, etc...).  Often, it's the only way to communicate, with incoming help, to coordinate the rescue.  In Manitoba,  there's an emergency group, the A. R. E.S (Amateur Radio Emergency Service).  So in St-Quentin, we're starting a similar system to serve the region  !

All Hams are gathered in a national association: R .A .C ( Radio amateurs of Canada )with it's head office in Ontario, and represents canadian Hams at the International Amateur Radio Union (I.A.R.U.)  with it's head office in Geneva (Switzerland) HB9.

Each country has it's own callsign: HB9 for Switzerland, F for France, ON for Belgium, TU for Cote D'Ivoire, HH for Haiti, CN for Morroco, FR for l' Ile de la Reunion, VE - VY - VO for Canada, etc.

Licences can be obtained from Industry Canada.

Here's some activities related to Ham Radio.  HF, VHF, UHF, ATV, SSTV, PACKET, SATTELITE , REPEATER, ARES, CONTEST, SAREX.

You can reach the club at these addresses :