UN Resoultion 242
Sponsored by the United Kingdom and France, the resolution is deliberately ambiguous. It has been accepted by Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Israel. It has also been accepted by the PLO.
The Security Council,
Expressing its continuing concern with the grave situation in the Middle East.
Emphasising the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war and the need to work for a just and lasting peace in which every state in the area can live in security.
Emphasising further that all member states in their acceptance of the Charter of the United Nations have undertaken a commitment to act in accordance with Article 2 of the Charter
1. Affirms that the fulfillment of Charter principles requires the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East which should include the application of both the following principles:
1. Withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories of recent conflict.
2. Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgement of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every state in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognised boundaries free from threats or acts of force.
2. Affirms further the necessity for:
1. Guaranteeing freedom of navigation through international waterways in the area.
2. Achieving a just settlement of the refugee problem.
3. Guaranteeing the territorial inviolability and political independence of every state in the area through measures including the establishment of demilitarised zones.
3. Requests the Secretary General to designate a special representative to proceed to the Middle East to establish and maintain contacts within the state concerned in order to promote agreement and assist efforts to achieve a peaceful and accepted settlement in accordance with the provisions and principles in this resolution.'
(N.B. The official French text refers to withdrawal des territories.)
Accepted by the P.L.O.
Last updated 1 January 2000 Written and
Designed By Rafic Adnan El-saleh
Names, pictures and logos are the copyright ®1998 by Organization Name Palestine Oasis
(C)Copyright 1998 Palestine Oasis. All rights reserved.