M.A.S.K.- The Medieval Version
By Hytac

Ever wondered what that would be like? Being a fan of fantasy books, it wasn’t surprising that I began thinking up stories of my own. Therefore, it was only a matter of time before I made my version of M.A.S.K. in a fantasy world. Here it is.

It wasn’t easy. I first had to solve the problem of vehicles and masks being non-existent in fantasy worlds. Finally, I hit upon the idea of turning the masks into magical objects, while the vehicles became mythical creatures; griffins (or gryphons), hydras, the like.

Next, there was a problem- How was I supposed to fit the agents into medieval lifestyles? How was the story line supposed to go? This was what I came up with. I haven’t thought up anything further about it, so it remains undeveloped. Anyone who feels like taking the story line is welcome, but do inform me first.


Envious of the success of a certain Baron Andrew, Brother of Tracker, Duke Miles (now known as the Mayhem) hired an assassin from the Guild of Assassins to murder and steal from the young baron certain spells and artifacts which he had been entrusted. These could summon various beasts and weapons of mythical origin. The first assassin, as well as the entire guild, refused the task of murdering the popular baron, fearing his brother’s wrath. But a second assassin, Vanessa the Warfay, secretly met with Duke Miles and agreed to his proposal; with the condition he would make her his second-in-command once the magic items were obtained and the creatures summoned. Duke Miles agreed.

Vanessa infiltrated the Baron’s home, deed her ghastly did… er… did her ghastly deed and framed a fellow assassin for it. Unfortunately for her, she did not expect Duke Matthew the Tracker to show up and the Duke caught a glimpse of her as she fled. In her haste, she dropped one of the two boxes the artifacts and scrolls were contained in. The Duke recovered the talismans, and swore to avenge his brother. He had seen, however, that the assassin was a woman.

Meanwhile, the other assassin whom Vanessa framed was forced to flee from the wrath of the guild who feared the wrath of the duke.(You still follow what I’m saying?) That assassin was none other than Bard the Tuner, who disguised himself as a minstrel whilst he worked. Desperate and with a price on his head, Bard turned to the least likely of people- the Duke Matthew himself.

To his surprise, the Duke believed his tale (He had known that the assassin was a woman after all.) Seizing the opportunity, the Duke Matthew made Bard an offer. The Duke would not hunt out the Guild of Assassins, therefore taking the price off Bard’s head. In return, Bard would have to help find his brother’s slayer. Bard agreed.

With information from Bard, Duke Matthew discovered the person behind the murder was none other than Duke Miles himself. Furious, he there and then named Duke Miles, Mayhem; and took the matter to His Majesty King Duane the First himself. Too late, Mayhem had fled, and he possessed half the items and a very dangerous assassin.

Moths later, Mayhem summoned the magical creatures and with them attacked the Royal Palace whilst a masquerade was commencing. The King’s guards were unable defeat the arcane forces, but the quick thinking Duke summoned his share of the arcane creatures to fight back. Some of the Duke’s followers, as well as other skilled nobles and soldiers of the court, aided Duke Matthew and mounted the beasts of sorcery. At the end, the forces of Mayhem were driven off.

King Duane, seeing that each and every one of the arcane riders wore a mask, dubbed them ‘The Masked Ones’, or just, ‘The Masked’. Duke Matthew would become their leader, and he would lead The Masked to find the Mayhem and his men (and the assassin, Vanessa.) Mayhem’s side he called Venal, for that means greed.

And from then on, the war had only just begun.


The Characters

Duke Matthew the Tracker (Matt Trakker) - Duke Matthew, the protector and leader of the secret vigilantes known as The Masked. Duke Matthew is the enemy of the former Duke Miles, now known as the Mayhem. Duke Matthew rides a Griffin named ThunderHawk, and carries an all-seeing crystal globe. (A palantir, for you Tolkienites out there)

King Duane the First (Duane Kennedy [King-the]) - The king of the country. Values peace above all.

Baron Andrew, Brother of Tracker (Andy Trakker) - A naive and trusting young baron who was murdered by Vanessa the Warfay for the possession of the secret artifacts and scrolls which were his to guard.

Bard the Tuner (Brad Turner) - Betrayed by Vanessa, this skilled assassin turned to Duke Matthew for help when his own guild called for his blood. He agreed to help the Duke find the real killer in return for his life. Bears a grudge against Vanessa for his betrayal. He rides a giant condor and carries a scepter of illusion.

Gloria, Daughter of Baker (Gloria Baker) - A noble lady of court, she is widely traveled and has mastered the art of unarmed combat from the mysterious monks of the East. She rides a Shark-Hydra, capable of moving on land and in the water. She wears magical armor which protects her from mundane and magical attacks.

Bruce the Satyr-wise (Bruce Sato) - A close friend of the Duke, Bruce is very learned and is able to handle and take care of the magical beasts which are controlled by the Masked. He himself shares a seat with Alexander the Seeker, on a great rhinoceros. He has a pair of magic crystals which allow him to lift objects with the magic of telekinesis.

Alexander the Seeker (Alex Sector) - A wise retired duke who was Matthew’s predecessor. Alexander is very wise and spends his days reading the tomes contained the many libraries belonging to the Duke and the King. He rides with Bruce upon the giant rhinoceros and wears a magic helm studded with levitation crystals.

Buddy the Hawk (Buddy Hawks) - Captain of the Guard for Duke Matthew. Buddy stands guard over the magic animals and helps in their maintenance. He is a skilled impersonator, and many a man has never guessed that the beggar curled up in the corner, or the monk walking by may actually be the captain of the guard. Buddy wears a cloak which grants him insubstantiality and rides upon a fire-breathing wyvern, sometimes with Horndoth the Lean.

Horndoth the Lean (Hondo MacLean) - A tutor at the King’s palace, Horndoth was formerly a knight who decided to retire from his duties. The urgency of the Venal menace however, spurred the knight-turned-scribe to return to his former profession; secretly, of course. He rides the fire-wyvern together with Buddy the Hawk and carries a gem tipped war staff which fires a beam of crimson fire.

Captain Dusty the Haze (Dusty Haynes) - Sea captain Dusty, formerly a buccaneer, is one of the captains who command the Royal fleets of King Duane. He captains the vessel Gator which possesses a live banshee figurehead that is able to detach itself. Its high pitch wail is agony to any enemy and it is controlled by the enchanted cutlass Dusty wears.

Duke Miles the Mayhem (Miles Mayhem) - He envied the successes of the Tracker brothers, and knowing that Andrew had artifacts of great power, hired Vanessa the Warfay to get rid of him and take the items. He is cunning and heartless, leading the Venal to wreak havoc upon the kingdom of King Duane the First. He rides a great Morgul, which is capable of spitting acid upon its enemy.

Vanessa the Warfay (Vanessa Warfield) - An unscrupulous assassin who betrayed her guild to work for Mayhem. She slew Baron Andrew and framed another assassin, Bard the Tuner for it. Vanessa is the second in command for Mayhem. She rides a creature which resembles a flying stingray, and carries an immolating whip.

Rax the Sly (Sly Rax) - Another member of the Venal. Rax the Sly despises Vanessa. He rides a raptor-like reptile, which is capable of diving in water for long periods. He carries an enchanted crossbow which fires deadly bolts, or stilettos.


There are really more agents, but I haven’t thought then up yet. Got anything you want to add to this teaser? Send it here and I’ll put it up.