The Enemy Within: Chapter 3
(Sequel to Blood and Water)
By Lisa Leonard
 

Roxanne stood out on the balcony right outside Matt's hotel room. It was getting late and the cold air was giving her goose bumps, while she stood there in her nightgown. Scott walked out on the balcony in his pajamas, "Hey are you ever going to go to sleep? As much as I don't mind you enjoying the view, I'd like to go to bed sometime tonight." Roxanne leaned on the rail and looked down at the streets, as if she hadn't heard a thing. Scott approached her and tapped her shoulder.

She turns her head to look at him, "You say something?"

Scott could tell something was bothering her, "What's wrong?"

She turned around and leaned her back up against the railing, " I'm worried about dad. He hasn't come back yet."

Scott explained, "I guess you didn't hear the news. Dad's not coming back tonight. Apparently VENOM hit a string of banks north of here. Dad's going to surprise VENOM, before they hit the next bank in Lille. He wants to stop them before they go across the boarder to Belgium." Her worried face became really concern. Roxanne felt the temptation to radio her father the warning of things to come, yet was overcome with fears. Scott tried to make her feel better, "Cheer up! Dad will be back before you know it. I use to worry a lot about him too, but he knows what he's doing and he has back up with him. If you want we can radio him from T-bob. I know it's late, but it will make you feel much better hearing it from him."

She hook her head, "Your right he'll be alright. I just have a gut feeling something awful is going to happen."

"Like what?" Scott wanted to know.

She walks off the balcony and into the room, "Forget it...I...I had a bad dream that's all." Roxanne returned to her room, leaving Scott to ponder more about her behavior.

Matt, Dusty, and Jacques all sat in their vehicles watching Lille city bank from several hidden positions. Matt looked at the clock, "It wont' be too long now. My hunch is telling me when VENOM strikes here, the attack at the PNA headquarters is going to start."

Jacques added, "Still it's pretty low for their character to rip off a couple of measly banks."

Dusty joked, "I'm sure Miles could use all the spare change in the world, cause we keep putting holes in his pockets."

Matt agrees, "Still Jacques is right, it's out of VENOM's league. If VENOM was that desperate for money, Mayhem would of went for the source not fiddle with local banks. This is clearly a diversionary tactic. Ok guys the Peace Summit is about to start soon, so keep your eyes pealed. VENOM can strike at any moment." Matt then radioed Rhino, "How's the situation at PNA headquarters?"

Bruce and Alex were in Rhino keeping a close surveillance of the parade of leaders walking into the conference center. Alex replied, "Everything is quiet, except for the press hounding the leaders. So far security is holding and we're still waiting for the last of the foreign delegates to arrive. Gloria is hiding among the press keeping a sharper eye out in areas our camera's can't reach."

Matt asked, "Is everyone in position?"

Bruce replied, "Yes Matt, but we find it a bit odd that were watching a few blocks away from the center and not closely guarding every entrance."

Matt acknowledged, "I realize that, but we have to fool them into thinking MASK is really chasing after VENOM and not watching the Peace Summit. We want them to go ahead with their plan."

Alex said still not convinced, "Were risking too many lives Matthew."

Matt who was willing to take the risk, "I assure you Alex no lives will be at stake. Buddy our inside man. I assure you everybody is going to be fine. Just stick to the plan and be sure to remind Brad not to act too prematurely. He's going to have a front row seat and if he acts too soon, they might have a change of heart."

Alex asked, "What about those ransom demands?"

Matt answered, "Duane advised Mexico and Great Britain not to respond to the demand. Even if the demands were paid they'd keep their hostages and demand for more money, until they've sucked their country's wallet dry. And no matter what this raid is going to take place today."

A half hour slowly passed by. Dusty was whistling the last country song he heard before leaving the states. He called over the radio as soon as he saw the enemy approaching over the horizon, "VENOM is approaching the target at my 3 o'clock position."

Matt says eagerly awaiting battle, "Who do you see?"

Dusty replied, "Switchblade, Jackhammer, and Piranha. Let me guess we're taking this battle over the land, sea and air?"

Matt smiled as he and the rest of this team secured their masks, "You read my mind, Dusty."

Jacques added, "This looks like it's going to be a fair three on three fight."

Matt reminds him, "Nothing about they way VENOM plays is fair."

 

Dagger says with excitement, "Bank number five coming up. It finally feels like were getting paid for our efforts."

Mayhem who was expecting MASK to drop out at any moment, "Dagger do I have to remind you we're only doing this to keep MASK occupied. This money is nothing compared to the billions we'll get for holding the world leaders hostage."

Rax says butting, "Well he does have a point my last pay check wasn't exactly singing to my ears. Last couple months we've none nothing, but lose more money then were stealing. We keep going thru replacement vehicles like tissue."

Mayhem orders, "You let me worry about our funding, you just do the job your paid to do." Mayhem converted his helicopter into an assault plane, "I spy a MASK agent ready to be immobilized." Mayhem could faintly make out Gator in the ally between two buildings. He fired at the building above gator and caused a huge chunk of the brinks to fall straight down on Gator.

Dusty looked up a bit surprise, "Oh shit!" He aimed his mask at the oncoming brinks, "Backlash Fire!" Dusty then moved his hands over his head as though he was protecting it, because he had no idea how much of the bricks he had destroyed. Instead of feeling several pounds of brinks over his head, all around him was the remains of bricks covering him and gator like a blanket of snow.

Jacques moves out of his position at the back of the bank, "I didn't think it snowed this time of year."

Dusty who was putting his foot on the gas, before the next attack, "Oh yeah laugh it up."

Matt drives out from the front of the building and converts into flying mode, "Alright lets get them away from the town. Last thing we need is a building falling down and people getting hurt." Matt flew Thunderhawk straight towards Switchblade. Switchblade and Thunderhawk exchanged lasers, each one chasing after the other, but neither one catching the other.

Piranha and Jackhammer were both on Gator's tail firing. Dusty shouted, "I could use a hand here." As Gator turned the corner, Volcano rolled out. The van split into two and pushed up a gun tower. Jacques stood there firing the machine guns. Piranha turned away down a perpendicular street to avoid the fire.

Rax wanted to do battle with Gator, "Well I'll just have to cut him off else where." He continued on looking for Gator's whereabouts.

Jackhammer, on the other hand, continued to come straight at Volcano. The firepower from the machine guns was bouncing off Jackhammer's windshield. Jacques converted Volcano back to a terrain van and drove away with Jackhammer following at a close distance.

Meanwhile Rax was still looking for Gator and was rather stumped, "Ok he couldn't' of gone too far." But to his surprise Gator found him first.

Dusty came at him from behind, "Looking for me Partner."

Rax swerved about to avoid Gator's firepower. Rax wasn't too thrilled with the turn around and the odds weren't looking good in his favor. Piranha was headed on a straight course towards the river. Of course Gator's roll bar atom blaster was firing might close to Rax, and this made him nervous. Rax looked ahead with expectations, " Last thing I want is to go flying thru the air like superman again. I'll have a better chance in the water." While Piranha was moving 75 MPH, Rax stood up and moved himself into the passenger car.

Dusty watched as Rax was trying to get himself into the sidecar, "Well in all my years as a stunt driver. I had no idea Rax was so talented. Maybe I should give him a boost, before he chickens out. Backlash Fire!" Dusty aimed backlash right underneath Piranha's back tire, which caused it to jump in the air slightly.

Rax fell forward into the sidecar face first. He shouted in anger as he sat up right, "What are you trying to do kill me? That's it no more free shows for you pal." As the river came up, Rax hit a button, which caused Piranha to come to a complete halt and the sidecar to go forward into the water.

Dusty shook his head, "You ain't going to lose me that easy." Gator stopped at the edge of the riverbank. The body of the jeep lifted up and out shot a hydroplane boat. Dusty moved out into the lake and watch this radar closely, waiting for Rax to make his move.

Cliff Dagger was laughing at Volcano, "That pathetic van is too slow to deal with me." Dagger was enjoying firing all this guns on Volcano, even if he was hardly making much of a scratch in it tough armor. Jacques was tired of the rain of bullets hitting Volcano, "Ok Dagger this is where you learn it's better to use your brain in battle not your brawn, "Mirage on!" Jacque's mask caused his entire vehicle to disappear out of thin air.

Dagger lifted his eye patch thinking he could see better, "Where did he vanish too? He was here just a few seconds ago."

"I'm right here, you miss me?" Jacque replied as he caused Volcano to re-appear driving alongside jackhammer. The hubcaps on Volcano wheels became metal shredders. Volcano swung into Jackhammer violently.

Dagger laughs as he knocks Jackhammer a bit, "Oh so that's how you want to play." He steered Jackhammer into Volcano's side. Which allowed the metal shredders a perfect chance at Jackhammer's vulnerable tires. The tires were ripped apart and Dagger found himself complete losing control of his vehicle. Jackhammer headed straight towards a garbage dump and crashed. Dagger jumped out of the wreckage and headed straight towards a nearby building.

Jacques radioed, "I'm going to follow Dagger on foot."

Matt who was overly occupied with Mayhem, "Ok Jacque just be careful apprehending him."

Dusty was getting sick of waiting, "Show yourself already you slithering snake."

Rax, who was submerged underwater, laughed wickedly, "Let's see how you handle this." Piranha fired two electric spears at Gator.

Dusty was too late to react and Gator was consumed with an electric charge. Dusty was a bit shaken by the electric current. Gator was now inoperable and a sitting duck in the water. He tried the radio, yet nothing but static could be heard. Even the radar was dead.

Rax smiled at the direct hit, "Now to come in closer for the kill."

Dusty knew Rax was going to knock him out of the water any minute now, and he had to do something. His eyes focused strongly on the water around him waiting for something to stir and give up Rax's location. Dusty wasn't completely sure, but he could of sworn he saw a black shadow moving in the water towards his direction, "You have one chance to make this count." As soon as the shadow was in range, Dusty picked up the depth charge. He set it manually and threw it out into the water. In a matter of seconds a huge spurts of water exploded into the air, the hydroplane boat drifted backwards by the force, and Piranha came unwillingly flying out of the water. Dusty fired the freeze cannon at the water beneath Piranha, "How do you like the ice-capade Rax?" Piranha slid on the ice trail and slammed right into the shoreline. Dusty sat back and looked around, "Ok now how am I suppose to get back to shore?" He looks up at Thunderhawk and Switchblade fighting, "Ah Matt will throw me a line when he's done."

 

Meanwhile at the Conference Center at PNA headquarters Paris, Hondo was sitting in the main security room watching monitors of inside and outside the building. He rubbed his tired eyes, he'd been watching the same tiresome images and was finding it difficult to focus. Hondo eyed the monitor labeled auditorium, Duane was up at the podium doing this opening. Matt had already radioed in saying VENOM was attacking their location, yet that was twenty minutes ago and still everything was silent. Maybe they were waiting to find out who won the battle, or backed out due to their inability to pull more MASK agents away from the Peace Summit. The door opens and Jean the ex-head of security waked in with two cups of coffee. Hondo smiled at the smell of caffeine, "That's something I could use right about now."

Jean smiled, "I thought so. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot."

Hondo took a cup from him, "It's understandable, besides you had a lot of good ideas. I only had to make minor changes. So have the guys on the roof seen anything yet?"

Jean shook his head, "No, but this Peace Summit is far from over, after all it could go well over eight hours."

Hondo snickered and hold the cup up, "With a well stock supply of coffee we'll make it."

Jean watched Hondo carefully as he brought the cup to his lips. He smiled wickedly at the thought of Hondo on his knees struggling from the poison he slipped into his drink.

Hondo pulled the cup away as he saw some sort of movement in the bottom right hand monitor, "You see that?"

Jean looked up from his expression he was making, "See what?"

Hondo enlarged the image of the back of the building, "Watch the shadow, you'll see somebody moving in it."

Both men watched it closely. This time they saw what looked to be two men with grappling guns. Hondo was about to radio his men about the trespassers, when Jean pulled out a gun and knocked Hondo over the head with the hilt of it. Hondo fell forward onto the terminal. The coffee that was once in his hands spilled over the controls. This started a surge in its circuits. Jean made sure the rest of the security equipment was inoperable. He then pulled out a radio, "Security is blinded, precede with Phase 1. You have two minutes to get on the roof before the guard makes his round again." The two dressed in back acknowledge the call and shot their grappling guns and climbed up to the roof.

Brad was leaning up against Condor, on the roof across the street. Brad radioed to Rhino, "I see somebody else up on the roof."

Alex asked, "Who does it look like?"

Brad increased his binocular image he was getting from Hocus Pocus, "Can't say both are dress in black from head to toe. There taking out the guards on the roof and they don't even know it. Radio Hondo to alert them, else I'm."

Bruce reminded him, "Well get in touch with Hondo, you just stay put."

Brad protested, "Stay put? They're probably killing those guards."

Alex radioed the security room, "Hondo come in, you have visitors on the roof."

Jean answered the call, "Sorry Hondo is investigating the southern end of the building. You said something about people up on the roof?"

Alex said with haste, "Yes you need to alert you men their in danger."

Jean lied, "Oh I see those scoundrels on the monitor right now, I'll be sure to let my boys know."

Of course even after Brad realized security had been notified, it seemed there was no one left on the roof to warn. Brad says frustrated, "I though you told security?"

Alex says honestly, "I did."

Bruce confesses, "I'd say we have traitor within security. That means more trouble for us."

Alex agrees, "You know that Jean guy didn't sound that concern over the radio either."

Brad interrupts their chat, "I don't care what Matt ordered. I'm not letting them get away with this. Wait a minute one of them has a remote or a detonator in his hand."

One man looked at his watch and nodded to the other who had the remote. As soon as the button was hit, each of the bombs that were hidden in the vents, inside the building, went off sending sleeping gas throughout the complex around the auditorium. The guards on the outside went into the building thinking a fire had erupted; instead they fell to the floor and drifted to sleep.

 

Meanwhile back in Lille, Matt was chasing after Switchblade, and he finally had him on the run. He then noticed smoke was coming from the back seat, yet did didn't know from where. The smoke got so thick, he could barely see. Matt radioed for help, but no one was answering.

Dusty watch from the boat and couldn't believe the amount of smoke coming from the interior of Thunderhawk, "I don't remember Matt getting hit."

Matt wanted to put the car on the ground, but he was blind as a bat and could be crashing into anything, without somebody to properly guide him. Mayhem couldn't help but noticed the driver of the Thunderhawk having some sort of trouble. He saw it as the perfect opportunity to destroy him for good. Switchblade flew up and around Thunderhawk. Mayhem carefully aimed his shot, and fired a missile straight towards Thunderhawk. Matt was sweating under his mask. He could hear the blipping from the radar of the oncoming missile, but didn't have a clue where it was coming from. His visibility as was practically zero. Thunderhawk shook violently as the rocket hit its thrusters. Thunderhawk plunged to the ground and crashed just over the hills of the town. Mayhem laughed and did a nice victory role in the sky, just before heading to the crash site to admire it.

Dusty stood there shocked, "Matt!" He jumped out of the boat and swam to shore. Dusty prayed in his mind that he would be alive when he got to the scene of the crash. Nothing had ever stopped Matt, not even a crash, but this was different. In the past he had way to control Thunderhawk for a safe landing, this time it was out of his hands. Dusty could only hope Volcano wasn't far; else the walk to the crash site would be at least an hour.

No one in the auditorium knew what was happing around them. Each delegate instead was moved about Duane's statement of finding new ways to bring the world nations together and strengthen their foundations. The United States delegate whispers to the Canadian delegate's ear, "You don't think Duane is a bit tense up there?"

The Canadian delegate look at him, " I'd be tensed too, if I had that much pressure on my shoulders."

A young woman with long red hair and glasses, who was among the press, attempts to move by them, "Excuse me gentlemen." Both men smiled and excused themselves for the lady. She made her way up the center stairs towards the main doors to the lobby, which was guarded by the only two guards in the room. She looked down at her watch and smiled sweetly to the guards, who were checking her out.

The two men dressed in black, on the roof, stood over a huge glass tome overlooking the auditorium. They both hooked up a line to the roof and had their guns ready in their hands.

Brad radioed as he hoped on Condor, "They're going to infiltrate the Peace Summit, thru the dome on the roof. I can't watch this anymore. I'm taking action."

Bruce replied, "Wait a bit longer Brad, even if you did move Condor over there this minute they might break thru the glass and start firing randomly at the people. At best we should wait for any possible ransom demand, or at least until they attempt to move the people out."

Alex says curiously, "You know that does bring up a good question. How are they going to kidnap 50 world leaders, when they have only two people on the roof and possibly one in the building?"

The two men in black crashed thru the glass dome and came down their line of rope. They're was a lot of screaming and panicking in the crowed below, as the glass shattered above them, and the two men fired their guns at the walls to get everyone's complete attention. The two guards, who were standing at the door, pulled out their guns ready to fire. The red head woman came up behind one of the guards and spin kicks him in the back, causing him to fall forward down the center stairs. She grabbed the other guard's arm and twisted his wrist. He dropped the gun in pain, and she slammed his head into the nearby wall causing him to fall unconscious.

The two men unhooked themselves from their ropes. One of them shouted after firing his gun again in the air, "EVERYONE SHUT UP AND FREEZE WHERE YOU ARE!"

The woman disarmed both guards and pointed a gun at Duane, who was still standing at the podium. Duane moved his hand under the podium hitting a button, in hope to alert security. The woman laughed at him, "You really think security is going to save everyone now, Duane? Back away and put your hands up where I can see them."

Duane puts his hands up and takes a few steps back, "You won't get away with this."

The woman moved closer to him, "Still think your precious MASK team is going to save you, don't you? We'll there in for a surprise."

One of the men in black says laughing, "Yeah, ya tell him Vanessa!"

Vanessa scolded him, "Why thank you for using my name, Lester!"

Floyd knocked Lester upside the head, "Wait to go doofish."

Vanessa shakes her head and puts his stupidly aside, "No matter it's not like anyone is going to know."

Duane says so sure of himself, "I should of known VENOM was behind this."

Vanessa smirked, "Well it's a little too late to make up for your mistakes." Vanessa points the gun at him and orders, " Move the podium and lift up the carpet."

Duane does what's told and a trap door is revealed, "Where did this come from?"

Vanessa didn't feel like chatting and wasting anymore time, "No more questions. Get down that hole, else I'll kill them one by one."

Duane moved over to the trap door, "Ok just don't do anything rash like that."

He climbed down the ladder and at the bottom he could see the sewers. As he reached the bottom, there were several boats standing by with Contra World soldiers. Bruno forcefully grabbed Duane off the ladder and threw him in the nearest boat. He goes back to the hole and shouts "Go ahead send more down!"

Floyd pointed his gun at the delegates, "Ok we'll start with the front row. You'll go single file down the hole, else we'll shoot lead into you. Any questions? I thought not. And don't try anything heroic, cause we don't need all 50 of ya."

Brad felt he waited long enough and flew over to the Conference Center's roof. He could see from the destroyed window the panic that was going on below. From his position it looked as though the delegates were getting in line to go somewhere. Brad locked Condor's anti-gravity cannon on one of the men's guns. As Brad fired the cannon, Lester's gun disappeared from his hands, "What the hell? My gun!" Lester looked up and pointed at Condor flying outside, "It's MASK!"

Floyd pointed his gun at Condor and fired like crazy, except he couldn't figure out why his bullets where passing thru and not hitting him. Brad used Hocus Pocus to create a false image of him to distract Floyd, while he locked his anti-gravity cannon on his gun. Once Floyd's gun disappeared, the real Condor headed thru the dome.

Vanessa ordered, "It's time to go boys!"

Floyd argued, "But we only got 10 of them!"

Vanessa replied as she headed to the trap door, "Ten is better then none, all that matters is we have Duane. Now get moving!"

Lester and Floyd headed for the trap door, making sure to use the delegates as a shield for protection from Condor. Lester complains, "I said we should have brought our masks, but nobody would listen to my idea." Both men hoped down the hole.

Bruno looks at Vanessa a bit surprise to see her so early, "What's up?"

Vanessa says angry, "MASK! Block the exit!"

Bruno pulled out some clay and T-N-T and set it inside the hole. Brad hoped off Condor and head over to the trap door. As he looked down, he saw Bruno smiling at him as he finished setting up the detonator. Brad tried to push as many delegates as he could away from the front stage, "They're going to blow it up! Get away!" Everyone headed for the far corner of the room as the hole exploded. Brad went back to the trap door, unfortunately there was nothing left of it. Brad radioed to Rhino, "They took some of the delegates into the sewers."

Just then the main doors to the auditorium open, and a man in a gas mask slips through. Jean looked around and felt a bit startled. He was hoping to leave with his teammates and they were nowhere in sight. He lifted off his gas mask as he notice a MASK agent approaching him. Jean had a horrified look on his face, "Good god what happen in here?"

Brad grabbed him by the shirt, "I don't know what happened, maybe you can tell me traitor."

Jean looked nervous his escape route was gone, and this MASK agent was going to turn him in no matter what he said, "I...I just got here. I was scrambling to find a gas mask everyone is down."

Brad grabs him and throws him into a nearby chair, "You failed to let anyone know about the trap door that was hidden under the stage."

Jean protested, "It wasn't not in the blue prints."

Brad says angry, "Probably because you moved it from the original copy."

Jean pulled out his gun, "I'd back away if I were you, right now."

Brad moves back and Jean puts his gas mask back on. He walks backwards towards the door and exits the auditorium. As soon as he leaves, Brad burst thru the doors and ran down the hall after him. His mask had an air filter, which protected him from the sleeping gas. Something Jean did not anticipate. Brad came up behind him and tackled him to the ground hard. He then took the handcuffs off his uniform and locked both his wrist behind his back, "Your not going any where!"

Duane sat in the back of the boat being quite, with the other ten delegates. Vanessa was arguing with Bruno about taking another exit out of the sewers, to get to the river. Duane ran his hand over his right cufflink on the end of his jacket and pressed it. He then moved his hand away watching his captures closely.

Bruce smiled as he picked up a signal on the radar, "Rhino picking up movement away from the building." Alex looked at the vid link of the surrounding streets, "Brad did say they were in the sewers. We could block off every entrance and exit." Bruce disagreed, "Matt wanted us to find the hideout. When you follow an ant carrying food, it will always lead you back to it's hill." Alex understood, "Very well I'll radio Gloria to follow the signal." Rhino started up its engines, as did the rest of the MASK team to follow the signal by the road.

Dusty who was soak'n wet ran over to Volcano. Jacques was walking back disappointed that he let Dagger slip thru his fingers. Jacques looked at Dusty's dripping uniform, "Do I dare ask what happen to you?"

Dusty shouted concern, "We have to get to Matt, NOW!" He crashed over those hills."

Jacques hurried to Volcano, "Why didn't you say so in the first place?"

Volcano headed straight to the crash site. As they drove closer, they could see black smoke over the horizon. Volcano increased its speed and both hoped that Matt would be alive and well and just standing there laughing at his latest crash. But nothing could prepare them for this.

Thunderhawk was upside down, with its right side of the car buried into a ditch. The driver side door was hanging open and was barley attached. The car was a total wreck, crushed in several spots and there was nothing left of the windshield. The engine was on fire and there was still some smoke coming from the interior of the car. Jacques grabbed the fire extinguisher and tried to put the fire out on the engine, before the car thought of exploding.

Dusty ran up to the driver seat, yet nobody was there, "MATT! MATT! WHERE ARE YOU?"

Jacques finish putting the fire out, "He was wearing his seatbelt right?"

Dusty said agitated and was looking behind every bush in the area, "He always wears it. Don't you dare say he got thrown from the car."

Jacques moves over to the driver seat, "With all this smoke, I can't see anything." He had the fire extinguisher ready as he looked in the back of the car. He picked up a shopping bag, which the smoke seemed to be emitting from and threw it out of the car, "That looks like the little culprit right there."

Dusty says frustrated, "We should be scouting the area for Matt, he could be seriously injured."

Jacques takes another look at the driver seat as the smoke let up. He glanced at the seat belt and the interior, "Matt cut his seatbelt. He defiantly got himself out of here. There is some blood on the dashboard. From the looks of it I'd say the crash probably crushed his leg. He couldn't of gotten too far. From what you told me he probably went to seek shelter from Switchblade. Get Gator and we'll find him faster."

Dusty kicked Thunderhawk, "I can't Rax drained Gator of all it's juice. You drive around and I'll try to find more clues as to where he went."

 

An hour and half later the boats arrive at the harbor in Rouen. They pulled up to a factory at the edge of the banks and headed into the private docks inside the factory. The ten delegates and Duane where taken to a holding cell, down in the basement of the factory. Vanessa smiled as she spoke with Duane, " I'm giving you one chance to spill your guts on all the information about the information satellite and to hand over your access codes."

Duane who wasn't scared of her, "I'll never tell you anything!"

Vanessa taps his cheek with her glove on, "I didn't think so, when you old colleague Mayhem gets here you'll think differently." She then pushes him in the cell and heads back up-stairs.

Duane walked towards the back of the cell where the President of Mexico and the British Prime Minister were, "Are you two alright?"

British Prime Minister said in a sad tone, "Oh we're just find and dandy with more people to talk to."

Mexican President says helplessly, "And now that they have you, we'll never get out of here."

Duane smiled, "Never say never Mr. President. Can you guys cover me?" he spoke to the other delegates in the room. As they covered him, Duane pulled off his shoe and removed the false heel on it. He then removed some lock picks from inside.

British Prime Minister couldn't help but laugh a bit, "Who do you think you are Duane, James Bond? You'll get us all killed with your game."

He looked up smiling and says in a soft voice, "The name's not Duane its Buddy. I'm here to get everyone out of here."

Mexican President huffed, "You and what army?"

Buddy answered, "MASK is on their way and should be dropping in at any minute now. Let me know if you see anybody coming." Buddy moved over to the lock and started to pick it. As he gets the door open, he steps out in the hall and looks up the stairs. He could see one Contra World Soldier. He then heads back to the cell, "Call down the guard and we'll take it from there." Buddy stepped into one of the shadows of the room.

British Prime Minister, "Guard! Guard! I need you immediately!"

The Contra World soldier came down and huff, "What is it now? You need an interior decorator? Hey wait a second." He looks around the cell it looked, as though somebody was missing, "Where's Duane at?"

Buddy came out from behind and knock him over the head and slammed him straight into the bars, "I'm right here." Buddy picked up the soldier body and dragged him into the cell, "We'll put him on the bed and make them think he's Duane...if you have to knock him out again. I need you guys to stay put, while I make sure an escape rout is set for ya. I better change clothes." Buddy changes clothing with the guard and wipes off the make-up on his face. He picked up the gun and grabs the keys."

Mexican President smiled, "Please hurry...I don't know how much longer I can stand it here."

Buddy locks the door up again, "Don't worry I won't be too long." Buddy heads down the hall and looks at some doors that appear to be an exit from the cellar. He tried the doors; of course something was blocking it on the outside. Buddy head back down the hallway towards the stairs. As he reached the main level, he saw most the Contra World soldiers standing around joking and wasting time.

Buddy made his way to the outside door, of course the solider stopped him, "Where do you think your going?"

Buddy sounded like a soldier and saluted, "Smoke break sir!"

The soldier looked at him funny, "You know your not suppose to leave your post."

Buddy nodded, "Yes sir...I just assumed with everyone around...well why would anybody need to guard them. Besides I just want a minute, I can't wait for the shift change. You look like a smoker yourself."

Soldier smiled slightly, "Well I..."

Buddy hands him half a pack of cigarettes, "Is this a fair trade for a minute?"

Soldier smiled as he took the cigarettes, "Yeah go ahead...nothing could possible happen with all these soldiers around. Just don't let Vanessa catch ya, or you'll be in for it."

Buddy moved outside and around the side of the factory with haste, he came over to the cellar door and looked at the lock on it. Buddy pulled out his lock picks and tried to work on the lock, but the thing was so rusted he was having a hard time.

Shark radioed to Rhino after finding the hide out, "I see somebody outside trying to get into a cellar. I'm going to check it out." Gloria moved Shark out onto land and slowly moved towards the man. She moved away from the bushes that were covering her and said in a low tone, "Freeze right there!"

Buddy turned around, "Gloria? I sure hope that's you?"

Gloria smiled as she moved over to buddy, "I hardly recognized in your new uniform."

Buddy smiled as he continued to mess with the lock, "That's the idea. I'm trying to get this undone so I can get the leaders out. I almost have it. I'm worried somebody going to come around any minute now looking for me."

Gloria asked watching his back, "How many are down there?"

Buddy who was getting frustrated at this point, "Twelve."

Gloria nodded, "Might be able to squeeze them all in Rhino's computer room. I'll give Bruce and Alex the call. I'll have them waiting right at that bridge over there." Gloria points to a bridge not too far from the factory. Just give it 5 minutes" Buddy nodded, once Gloria left he succeeded in breaking the lock.

 

Vanessa was sitting down in an office on the third floor. She looked out the window over looking the factory main floor, "I could of taken any of those men down there, and I got stuck with the incompetent Lester."

Bruno sat back in a chair, "Hey Mayhem order ya to take him along."

Vanessa holds her fist, "Yeah well only because he didn't want to deal with him. I spend hours planning this and all I have to show for is 11 out of 50."

Bruno shook his head, "Ah don't worry Mayhem knows your the brains behind a lot of his operations. I mean you did deliver Duane, and that is who he wanted. I admit Lester can act like a lunatic at times, but you know he's the newest member to the team."

Vanessa picks up her cup of tea and sips it, "That's what bothers me, how the hell did Mayhem pick him over so many other potentials."

Bruno laughs, "The rumor I've hear is he might be related to him."

Vanessa smirked, "That would explain a lot of thing."

Lester and Floyd enter the room laughing at some disgusting joke Lester made up. Lester adjusts his sunglasses, "Are we having a private tea party?"

Vanessa turn to look at him not amused, "What do you want?"

Floyd smiles, "Mayhem radioed in saying he was going to be late. He's busy entertaining a guest or something. Should be stopping by tomorrow, and that you should try to get Duane to talk."

Vanessa shook her head, "Well that just lovely we'll be staying here another night."

Lester notice make-up smudges on her teacup and gloves, "Say Vanessa you trying to hide something hideous on your face? Cause your make-ups all over the place." Vanessa threw her teacup at Lester. Lester cursed, "Hey what ya do that for!" He tried to wipe the hot tea from his face.

Of course as she threw the teacup she notices the stain on her glove as well. She run her hand over the make-up on her glove, "Get the solders we have an intruder in the building."

Bruno stands up, "How do you know?"

Vanessa show him her glove, "That's not Duane down there, that's probably a MASK agent!" Vanessa grabs her mask and heads straight for the cell in the basement.

Buddy unlocked the cell door, "Alright everyone down the hallway and as soon as you get outside head for the bridge. They'll be a truck waiting for ya...just make sure you keep low." All the leaders headed out the cell door in a hurry. Just as the last one left, Buddy came in close behind him protecting the rear.

Vanessa was not happy when she realized that nobody was left in the cell, except for a clumsy guard. She rush down the hallway, she could see Buddy running up the stairs to the outside. Just as she reached the bottom of the stairs, "You won't get away. WHIP ON!"

Buddy turned around with his eyes wide open, expecting Vanessa to drag him back down the stairs. Except Gloria came back just in time, "Aura ON!" Aura created a shield that stopped whip from touching Buddy inches from this face.

Buddy shut the cellar doors and put the lock back on it, "Thanks Gloria I owe ya." The two of them then rushed off to SHARK.

Vanessa slammed her fist against the door, "SHIT...we got to get out of here. MASK and the PNA military probably surrounded the complex by now."

The four VENOM agents get into Manta. She blows a hole in the harbor gate using one of her missiles and take off from the harbor entrance.

Buddy says taking a breather, "There goes Vanessa!"

Gloria smiled, "What you miss her already?"

Buddy looks out the window and watches as the PNA military surround the building, "Naa...just wish she wouldn't of taken too long to interrupt my speech. I don't ever want to have play Duane again."

It was just after dark when all the MASK agents returned to the hotel. The mission was a complete success; they saved the world leaders and stop VENOM once again. Buddy says in a cheerful voice, "I feel like celebrating."

Hondo had an ice pack on the back of his head, "You can count me out. I already got a hangover."

Brad smiles, "I'm up for that. But we can't celebrate until Matt, Jacques, and Dusty get here. Else we'll be in big trouble."

Alex said a bit concern, "You know it's a bit odd, but we haven't heard anything from them since the attack."

Just then a tired Dusty and Jacques head in the door. Everyone could tell something was seriously wrong.

Gloria said worried, "Where's Matt at?"

Dusty shook his head and looked down feeling like he's lost his best friend. He says in a sorrowful voice, "We...we don't know Gloria. He crashed and we looked everywhere for him."

Jacques brings out Spectrum and it was cracked, "We found this on the ground."

Gloria had her hand over her mouth, "Matt would never take off his mask."

Dusty sits down on the couch, "It doesn't make any sense. One second Matt's fine...the next his car is full of smoke...he had no control and Mayhem shot him out of the sky. It just doesn't happen like that."

Jacques puts Spectrum down, "We think...it's possible he's been taken prisoner."

Dusty says rubbing his eyes, "Some...Somebody needs to tell the kids."

Alex put a concern hand on Dusty, "You two need rest. We'll go out to crash site first thing in the morning and look for more clues."

Buddy looks up and volunteers, "I'll go tell the kids."

Roxanne sat on her bed nervously chewing on her pillow. She looked up as she heard a knock on the door, "Yeah?"

Buddy opened her door, "Hey Roxy."

She smiled, "Hey Buddy didn't expect to see you."

Buddy tried to smile but couldn't, "Can you come here for a second I need to talk to you kids about something." Roxanne heart raced she knew where this was going. She got up and went into Matt's hotel room and sat on the bed next to Scott.

Buddy couldn't look at the two, "There's no easy way to say this, but your Dad missing in action."

Scott was a bit shock, "Missing? What do you mean?"

Buddy tells him what he knows, "He crashed, and I'm guessing some sort of malfunction with Thunderhawk." Buddy was starting to feel like he was to blame, "They found his mask that was it." Roxanne closed her eyes trying not to shed a tear. Buddy reached out and hold both Scott and Roxanne's hand, "Were not giving up, we'd never do that. It's possible VENOM has him captive. You two are going to have to strong for your dad. We'll bring him home...I promise you that."

Roxanne couldn't hold it in anymore. It was her fault, if only she would of kept her grudge to herself. If only she would of stayed away from Rax. She probably killed her father. Roxanne began to cry.

Buddy put his arms around her and hugged her, "It's alright sweetie...your dad's a strong man and can handle anything. He'll be alright." Roxanne nodded and dried her eyes. Scott held her hand feeling the same grief as she did. Buddy stands up, "If you two need anything let us know...we're going to do everything in our power and he'll be back safe and sound."

As Buddy left Roxanne stood up and headed towards her room. She didn't even want to talk about it. Scott remembered about how weird she was acting all day. He felt it in is gut that she had to know something about it. Scott laid back on the bed, "Dad I hope you're all right where ever you are."

 

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge