The Enemy Within: Chapter 2
(Sequel to Blood and Water)
By Lisa Leonard
 

Roxanne walked into a nicely furnish hotel room with two beds. She tossed her suitcase on one of the beds and headed towards the window. She pushed the window open and stuck her head out. Roxanne smiled as she watch the busy streets of Paris below her. "This is great, " she nearly shouted at the top of her lungs, "Can't wait to go site seeing." Gloria enters the room and sets her stuff next to the dresser. Roxanne turned around, "Hey Gloria isn't this great or what? Were going to be roommates think of all the fun were going to have."

Gloria reminded her, "We'll your forgetting your father going to be in the next room, what makes you think were going to have that much fun? Besides I shouldn't have to remind you, I'm here strictly to work."

Roxanne lies back on the bed, "And to baby-sit me."

Gloria laughs slightly, "Look at it this way, everyone else is sharing a room. You got lucky enough to get suck with me. The rest of the guys snore."

Matt walked in using the small doorway, which connected the two rooms. He leaned up against the doorway watching the two unpack, "I trust you ladies are satisfied with your room."

Roxanne sits up and mumbles, "I still think I should get my own room."

Matt walks over to her and slaps her knee gently, with a newspaper he had in his hands, "I think that will be the day when my daughter can prove to me that she won't wreak havoc, if I leave her in a room by herself."

She suggests, "I don't see why we can't check that theory out right this minute." Gloria giggled slightly at Roxanne plea. Roxanne then asks, "So dad what are we going to see first?"

Scott and T-bob step into the room and Scott answered, "Probably the hotel room, then the hotel room again, before you know it the hotel room."

Matt smirked at Scott, "Very funny. Actually I want you kids to have some fun. Me and Gloria are going to be busy working at the PNA headquarters in Paris. Scott and T-bob know Paris rather well, they'll show you around."

Roxanne said disappointed, "So you're not going to come with us?"

Matt shook his head, "I'm afraid not." He thinks of a way to cheer her up, "How about you guys meet us at the conference center about 2pm, we'll catch a late lunch together."

Roxanne already knew Matt was going to be busy with MASK, through the whole trip. All she wanted was to spend more time with him. Even at home he was preoccupied with work, so she could never get close to him. What Roxanne really wanted was to expand their father-daughter relationship to the next level and make some happy memories to look back on. She reluctantly agreed, "ok."

Scott asked, "So what do you want to see first?"

Roxanne looks, in the distant, out the window seeing the Eiffel Tower in the background, "How about the Eiffel Tower?"

T-bob said nervously, "Not the Eiffel Tower."

She says looking at him funny, "Afraid of heights?"

Scott explained, "Last time we were dangling off the Eiffel Tower. Dad swooped down and saved us."

She looks at him a bit excited about the story, "Wow that must have been some experience." She then looked to T-bob, "You know T-bob your not suppose to jump the railing."

T-bob crossed his arms, "Oh haha."

Scott smiled and took her hand, "Come on lets go. I'll tell you what happened on the way."

As the kids took off, Matt looked to Gloria, "Shall we get going, everybody waiting for us."

Gloria and Matt walked up the steps to the conference center at PNA headquarters in Paris. The building was heavily guarded on all sides and even had people stationed on the roof." The PNA was doing everything in its power to see to it all security precautions were in place for the peace summit, which was to take place in three days. Matt and Gloria both showed their PNA ID cards to the guard. He nodded his head and opened the door.

Matt replied to the guard, "Two children will be coming around 1400 hours, have them wait in the front lobby."

The guard acknowledges his order, "Yes sir!"

The two entered the building, to find none of the MASK agents present for duty, except for Hondo.

Gloria said to him quietly, "Well this is a first."

Hondo was arguing with a man who appeared to be the head of security. Matt put a hand on Hondo's shoulder and asked, "What seems to be the problem?"

Hondo turns to look at him replying, "It's a good thing your here Matt. I got here early to check out the security layout and this moron is refusing to acknowledge his mistakes."

Matt assumed it was the lack of security or leadership Hondo was referring too, "Surely we can fix these mistakes before the summit."

Hondo didn't sound so certain, "I did a sweep of the area, and I came across this in a corner of a room hidden." Hondo pulls out a gray metallic ball.

Gloria looks it over, "Some sort of gas bomb."

Hondo agrees, "Yeah then I found a similar one else where in the building. Who knows how many have already been planted."

Matt didn't look too please, "I'm afraid sir I'm going to have to ask you to step down as chief security officer."

The man was appalled, "I will do no such thing."

Matt ordered, "You can take it up with President Kennedy, but I already have a written order stating I have full jurisdiction on security matters." The man was furious, but he walked away seeing no point to put up an argument about it. Matt said to Hondo, "Your now in charge of the security layout. By the way, where is everyone?"

Hondo looked to him, "Sent them out searching for more smoke bombs. Alex and Bruce are busy disarming these suckers."

Gloria asked, "How many have you guys found so far?"

Hondo replies, "So far ten have turned up. If you don't mind I'm going to see if the local police force will mind if we borrow their K-9 unit. It will make sniffing them out a lot easier. I just hope we can find them all in time."

Matt nodded, "Don't worry my friend, we will. Gloria help with the search. I'm going to check with Bruce and Alex." Matt walked away from the two and head towards the reception hall where Bruce and Alex were working. Matt watched as Bruce, who was wearing protective eyewear, was attempting to disarm a bomb's internal wires with a small pair of scissors.

Bruce wiped the sweat from his face, after he cut the black wire inside the bomb, "Make that 12 for our stack." Bruce took off the glasses, "I don't know how many more I can do. Each time I have to worry about it going off."

Alex said trying to comfort his friend, "Well at least you know it won't kill ya."

Matt asks curiously about Alex's remark, "So their nothing but harmless smoke?"

Alex smiled as he corrected his friend, "More like sleeping gas, each one is set on the same frequency to go off by remote."

Matt adds, "I bet that explains why the guards were asleep on the job in Mexico. They were all napping while the President got kidnapped."

Alex asks, "I take it the summit is still on."

Matt nods, "Yes, Duane had a hard time convincing anyone to come after the kidnappings. He told me he practically had to beg on his hands and knees. So only half the leaders are coming the rest are spokes people."

Brad walked in carrying another metallic ball in his hands, "I still think your plan insane. Found another one for you Bruce." Bruce takes the bomb off his hands and sets it on the table. Brad continued, "Your giving them too big of a bate to snatch. I mean if we screw this up, for whatever reason we've lost half the world leaders. Before you know it, the people are going to be favoring VENOM more then us."

Matt assured him, "Don't worry I have every possible corner covered and overlooked everything out in advance. Now what do you say I join ya on the Easter egg hunt?"

The ex-chief of security was still furious, he reluctantly handed over his position and his entire layout plans for security. As he left the building, he told the guard he needed fresh air to clear his head. He headed across the street and went into the alleyway. He pulled out a cigarette and lighted it with haste. It wasn't the lack of pay he was going to receive for getting demoted that made him angry, it was a contractual deal that was suppose to give him some easy money that bugged him. What made the situation worst was he made the deal with the devil advocate VENOM. He puffed nervously on the cigarette and nearly jumped as he saw a figure approach him.

Sly Rax moved closer to him and was in a bad mood, "I thought we agreed that there was to be no further contact between parties."

The man continuously puffs on the cigarette, "Yes we'll the place is swarming with MASK agents. They've relieved me of my command and discovered all those bombs you planted."

Rax cursed with angry, "Damn you Lester, I should of done the job myself."

The man wasn't even attempting to come up with a solution, "What too do...What too do?"

Sly Rax moved down the alley way to get a glance at the building, "Its too late to go back in, they'd recognized anyone of us in disguise, because they ain't going to let strangers in there." Just then two kids walking up the street caught his attention, "I don't believe it." Roxanne, Scott, and T-bob were all headed for the conference center. Rax smiled as he watch the three enter the building with no hassle. Rax turned to look at the guy with no worries at all, "Don't worry too much about it compadre, just stick to the plan. I'll have everything patched up in no time. Don't worry about MASK, just keep on pretending your working for them." Rax walks away from him whistling. He then hops into Jackhammer, which was waiting for him.

Dagger looks to him wondering, "What's the problem?"

Rax snorted, "MASK uncovered the smoke bombs."

Dagger asks, "So were going to go in and plant new ones?"

Rax shook his head, "Too risky. Were going to let someone else do our dirty work for us."

Dagger asks curiously, "Who?"

Rax said with a sly tone in his voice, "Roxanne."

Dagger looked at him funny, "Roxanne? Here? You know Vanessa not going to like this?"

Rax replied, "Yeah well what she doesn't know won't kill her. Now lets get going, so we can find out where she's staying at."

Roxanne, Matt, and Scott were just finishing up their lunch at a small café not far from PNA headquarters. Matt asks wanting to keep his mind off his work and focus on his children, "So what do you guys have planned to do next?"

Scott said, "I'm kind of tired, after all that walking. I think I'll go for a swim, in the hotel pool. What do you say Roxanne?"

Roxanne felt uncomfortable after the idea of swimming was brought up, "Sorry Scott I left my suit at home." Roxanne though how much she'd love to take a dip in the pool, but the scars on her back were holding her back. She was afraid of what people would think once they got a good look at them.

Matt says, "How about I give you some money to buy a swimsuit in town." He pulls out his wallet and hand her some franks. She reluctantly took it and nodded trying not to show her displeasure.

Matt stands up, "Ok kids I'm heading back to work. I expect to see you both back in the hotel room by 6pm for dinner."

Scott, T-bob, and Roxanne walked back to the hotel. Roxanne was really quite on the way back. The though of her in a bathing suit haunted her. She couldn't stand looking at her scars in the mirror herself. How could anyone else, or have they all forgotten.

Scott said, "I wonder where we can get ya a suit."

She replies not too concern about it, "Don't worry about it Scott. I'll try some of the clothing stores around the hotel. You and T-bob can head back and take a dip in the pool. I'll meet ya later."

T-bob says uncertain, "You sure you won't get lost?"

She replies, "I'm not going far I'll see ya in a half hour, that's if I find something."

Once the three of them reached the hotel, they left their separate ways. Roxanne headed down the block for a clothing store. She says to herself, "I'll just buy something else. If dad asks, I'll tell him wanted it more then a swimsuit. Hopefully he'll drop the subject or give me more spending money." She entered the shop and browsed through some dresses on a rack. She pulls off out a short plum dress and looks it over.

A man wearing a leather jacket walked into the shop and headed towards Roxanne direction. He says startling her, "You know red was always the color for you."

She turns around and smiles, "I was wondering when you'd show up." She sets the dress back on the rack and was about to talk about old times, until she notice the clerk getting a bit edgy about Rax. Roxanne figured this wasn't the best place to talk to Rax, especially since the clerk had a close eye on him. So she left the store, with him following close behind. Rax and Roxanne walk down the street side by side. She looks to him, "Saw ya on TV last week."

Rax said smiling, "Well you're a bright kid. I couldn't expect less from you. You know the base has been kind of a drag without you around."

She nods understandable, "I know I feel the same way about you guys."

Rax stops walking as they reach Piranha, "So how's the new life going for you?"

Roxanne shrugged, "Just not what I was expecting it to be. I got sent away for 6 months and I'm still trying to patch up everything with my father. One minute I think were going to have a family vacation, the next dad totally drench in work. Of course I doubt you've decided to stop by and check up on me."

Rax had a surprise look on his face, "Come on Roxanne, I'm not a heartless scoundrel. But I do have a job for you."

Roxanne said with no doubt in her mind, "Forget it, I don't want any part of."

She begins to walk away, yet Rax caught up with her. He stood in front of her blocking her path, "You owe us big time for helping you escape. This is the best thing you can do to repay that debt. Roxanne you'll always be one of us no matter how much you want to deny it."

She looks down uncertain as of what to do, "I know that Rax, but I can't. It would ruin the only chance I have of my father trusting me. You can't ask me to pick you over my father."

Rax thought for a moment and figured he'd have to use a new strategy to get her interested in the job. He pretends to back down, "Your right. Your absolutely right your father is more important. We wouldn't want to disappoint him. So now that that's out of the way, you want to go say hello to the guys?"

Roxanne glanced at her watch, "Sure I've got some time to spare." She hops into the passenger car of Piranha and they took off across the city.

They stopped at an apartment building that slightly over looked the PNA headquarters. She replies noticing the view, "Nice stake out spot, you got a good view of the target."

Rax lead her inside, "That's why I chose it." He took her to the top floor of the building and led her to the last apartment on the floor. She stepped inside and glanced around. The room was pretty much trashed with garbage everywhere and dirty dishes. Lester, Floyd, Bruno, and Cliff Dagger all sat around the television.

Cliff Dagger was getting frustrated, "Why do they all have to speak French?" Is there any wrestling on?"

Roxanne laughs at him, "What Dagger you don't know any French?"

The guys turn around and look at her. Each one was shocked, except for Dagger since he already knew about Rax's plan. Cliff Dagger asks, "So you're going to..." Rax shut the door and shook his head at him behind Roxanne back, so he wouldn't talk about the mission. Dagger changes what he was going to say, "Hang out with us?"

She hops over the couch finding a place to sit and kicks her feet up on the table, "If you boys don't mind."

Bruno gets up and takes Rax into another room, "Are you out of your mind? If Mayhem knew she was here."

Rax tried to calm him down, " If Mayhem or Vanessa knew I know...but I don't have a choice. The bombs that were planted were discovered and dismantled. I figure she's the only one who can go back in unnoticed and reset them up."

Bruno questioned him, "So she's going to do it?"

Rax shook his head, "Not yet, but I figure I know a way to convince her. Go grab Lester, when you go back out there. At least try to be happy she's here and entertain our guest."

A minute later Lester comes into the room, "Ya wanted to see me?"

Rax slapped him in the back of the head, "That's for the shitty job you did hiding those bombs."

Lester says in self-defense rubbing the back of his head, "Well you didn't tell me where to put them."

Rax said impatient, "No matter, where's your stash at?"

Lester looked at him puzzled, "Why?"

Rax threaten, "Do you want me to tell Mayhem about your screw up?" Lester shook his head and pulled up a bag that was hidden in a loose floorboard. Rax digs through the bag and pulls out a small bottle of pills. Rax orders Lester, "Hand me a bottle of beer from the fridge." Rax pulls out a small hammer and crunches two of the pills down to tiny pieces.

Lester hands him the bottle and replied with a wicked tone, "You're going to give her that and make her pass out."

Rax said with a very threatening tone, "Yeah and if you lay a damn finger on her I'll cut your hands off. I have a very good reason why I'm doing this, to fix your mistake." Rax carefully drops the drugs into the beer bottle and swirls it around until it completely dissolves.

Roxanne was sitting on the couch joking with Bruno, until Rax and Lester returned. Rax handed her the beer bottle, "Here ya go Roxanne."

She refuses, "I can't...dad."

Rax reassures her, "He's not going to know about it, Roxanne. Besides were celebrating your new life and our reunion." Lester hands out normal beer to the rest of the guys. Rax pleads, "Come on have one drink for old time sake, then you can be on your way."

She looks at each and every one of them, "All right one drink, and then I'm gone." She takes the beer from Rax, "Down the hatch." She takes a sip and wipes her mouth with the back of her hand, "Not bad, haven't had one in six months."

A half hour later Roxanne began to feel the effects of the drug. She began to feel light headed and her vision was starting to fail. She fought hard to keep her eyes open, but it was nearly impossible. Within a matter of minutes she fell over tired and passed out on the couch.

Floyd looked worried and was trying to nudge her awake, "What did you put in her drink?"

Lester answers with his usual annoying laugh, "That new date rape drug on the market. She'll be out cold for hours."

Dagger says with anger, "Why the hell did you give her that for?"

Rax answered trying to calm his friends down, "Because I'm going to use this opportunity to make her realize why she wants to work for us. She's so worried about what her father will think; soon that attitude of hers will change. Tomorrow she'll be standing on our doorstep begging to take that job."

Matt returned to the hotel around 6 pm. Scott and t-bob were also returning from the pool. Scott sees his father leaving the room, "Hey dad!"

Matt asks curiously, "Where's your sister at?"

Scott shrugged, "Isn't she in her room? She never came by the pool."

Matt asks, "Where did she say she was going?"

Scott was starting to regret splitting up with Roxanne, "Shopping in the stores around the hotel. Maybe she lost track of time?"

Matt nodded and tried not to worry about it, "Your probably right

Two hours have gone by and Matt was getting very worried. All the shops around the hotel were starting to close and there was no sign of her. Matt even walked up and down the streets thinking that she might of lost her way. At this point Matt was fearing the worst could of happened to her. Matt called his agents together, "I know I said you guys could enjoy yourselves tonight, but I have a situation. Roxanne is missing."

Dusty replies a bit agitated, "For crying out loud. You're going to have to put a leash on that girl."

Gloria said hoping to make Matt feel better, "I'm sure she's all right. She's a very strong young lady."

Matt tried to smile, "Thanks Gloria, but until I see her safe I'm going to think otherwise. Each of us will take a different sector of Paris. Hopefully we'll run into her."

The search took up most the night and nobody was having any luck. Despite the lack of hope of finding her and her dropping popularity among the group, nobody wanted to see her left on the streets by herself after-hours. Jacques Lafleur drives Volcano by a park in northern Paris. He notices a figure resting on a bench. He radios it in, "I might have her. I'll keep ya posted." Jacques steps out of Volcano and moves towards the girl, who had her back facing him. As he moves closer, he could see a couple of bottles surrounding the bench. Jacques reaches a hand out towards the person, which causes her to fall forward and reveal her face. His suspicion was right it was Roxanne, but he was a bit appalled by the scene. She smelled strongly like alcohol, her entire body was shivering from the cold, and was unresponsive. Jacques shook his head, "What have ye gotten yourself into now? I'm even afraid to radio this into your father." He nudge her a bit, "Wake up Roxanne. Come on time to go home."

Her eyes crack open part way, yet she couldn't focus on what he was saying, "Huh?" Jacques sits her up, meanwhile Roxanne rubs her head, "I don't remember what happened."

Jacques helps her stand up. "I doubt I would either, if I drank that much." She didn't catch his words, nor could her mind focus on a single task. Jacques was holding her up as they walked towards Volcano. As soon as they got inside, Roxanne rested her head against the car's passenger side window and instantly drifted back off to sleep. Jacques radios to Matt, "You can call off the search. I found her."

Matt said relieved, "Thank Jacques. How is she?"

Jacques chose his words wisely, "I'd rather not discuss that over an open line Matt."

Matt didn't like the tone of his voice or his words, but agreed to go with his terms, "Ok, I'll meet you back at the hotel."

Matt stood outside the hotel waiting for Volcano to arrive. As Jacques pulls up to the hotel, Matt notices Roxanne resting her head up against the car window. Matt opened the passenger side door, and Roxanne practically fell out of the car into his arms like a lifeless puppet. Matt tried to stand her up by leaning her up against Volcano. Jacques got out to see if he could help him. Matt wasn't pleased when he caught the scent of liquor that strongly surrounded her. Matt practically shouted into her ear in the hope of waking her up, "Roxanne speak to me." She only gurgled out a few words as a reply, which made absolutely no sense.

Jacques said, "I found her like this on a park bench surrounded by various liquor bottles Matt."

His words didn't make Matt feel any better about the situation. Matt ordered, "Give me a hand carrying her up to the room."

Jacques grabbed one arm and Matt grabbed the other. They dragged her thru the lobby and straight up to Matt's room. Gloria and Scott could only stare in disbelief, when they saw the semi-conscious Roxanne being carried into the room. Matt ordered Gloria, "Turn the shower on!" Gloria rushed into the bathroom and turned the shower on. Matt stepped into the tub, while Jacque handed Roxanne to him carefully. Matt held Roxanne's head up under the shower, so the cold water could run over her face. "WAKE UP!" he shouted in her ear, meanwhile holding her limp body up.

The mix of shouting and freezing cold water alerted her sense and her eyes popped wide-open, "Ahhh...stop...stop...stop it I'm awake!" She moved her hand up, as an attempt to stop the shower from sprinkling any more water. Jacques grabbed Roxanne and helped her out of the tub; meanwhile Matt turned the water off. Both Matt and Roxanne were soaking wet and dripping from head to toe. Gloria tossed Matt a towel and helped dry Roxanne off. Roxanne rubbed her eyes and shook her head, "What the hell is going on?"

Matt said in an angry tone drying off, "I should ask you the same question."

She looked to Jacques wanting answers, "Huh?"

Jacques told her, "I found you passed out on a bench in a park."

She couldn't believe it herself, "Really? I knew I was tired, but I don't remember doing that. Heck I don't remember much of anything." Roxanne left the bathroom and sat on the edge of the bed, trying to recollect what happened during the day.

Matt looked to Jacques and Gloria, "I need to talk to her alone. Take Scott and T-bob with you."

Gloria spoke to Scott and T-bob, "Come on guys lets go for a walk." Scott had a feeling this meant bad news for Roxanne, so he and T-bob left with out hesitating.

Matt walked up to her after everyone had left. He was doing his very best to try and grasp the situation, "How many drinks did you have tonight?"

She knew where this was going and wished at this point she would of turned down Rax's offer. She says the truth even if she didn't want too, "Ok I'm not going to lie to you. I was offered a drink and I took it. That's all."

Matt's face turned from bad to worst, "Stop lying me. How many did you have?"

She says meaning it, "I had one drink."

Matt shook his head, "Jacques told me he found several empty liquor bottles around you."

She spurts out, "Well they weren't mine!"

Matt adds, "You care to explain the reason you smell like alcohol."

She sniffs around herself and her clothing, "I do not smell!"

Matt says furious, "This is the last time I'm going to ask. How many did you have?"

She stands up frustrated, "ONE, NUMBERO UNO! Can't you see it! Jacques is making up the whole thing. He hates me, as does everyone else around here. He is a BIG FAT LIAR!"

Matt slapped her in the face, "I don't want to ever hear you talk about my friends or my agents that way." Roxanne put her hand over her pulsing red cheek and sat back down. She couldn't believe it he hit her. Matt pointed his finger in her face, "Have you told me one thing that was the truth since you've came home? I've tried to trust you Roxanne, but frankly I'm losing my patients with you. Do you have any idea how you've embarrass me tonight? Every time I turn my back around, you do something else and expect me to fix everything for you and make it better."

She looks up at him holding back her tears, "I don't expect anything from you. I never have and I never will. You're never around when I need you. You'll just ship me someplace else so you don't have to see or hear from me, then maybe I won't be such an embarrassment to you."

Matt replies, "You're not getting my point. Your underage and you have a drinking problem."

She says narrowing her eyes, "We're in another country and I'm not an alcoholic!" She storms off to her hotel room, "You never listen to me! I hate you!" She slams the door shut and lies down on her bed.

Fifteen minutes later, Matt walked into her room and sat on the edge of her bed. She just turned to her side refusing to look at him. Matt looked at her and said in a calmer tone, "I'm sorry I hit you. After the summit were going back home and we're going to talk to someone about this." Roxanne held her fist tight, yet tried to hide how she really felt. Matt continues seeing no response from her, "You need help and I know how tuff everything has been for you." Matt stands up to leave, "Another thing. Your not allowed to leave the hotel."

She says to herself as he leaves, "We'll see about that."

Morning came at a slow pace. Roxanne was up most the night thinking of her father's yelling and the way he hit her. She noticed Gloria was already gone and figured her father was as well. Roxanne quietly got dressed, as she over heard T-bob and Scott talking about her in the next room. She opened the door to the hallway and checked to see if anyone was watching. She shut the door behind her with haste and sprinted down the hallway towards the stairs. Roxanne figured the best way out of the hotel without anyone knowing was the back door, which was most likely through the kitchen. She waited until the clerk at the front desk was distracted and made her way towards the hotel's restaurant. As she entered the kitchen, she could hear the cooks shouting something to her in French, yet she didn't care. Instead she ran through the kitchen towards the back door and sprinted down the alleyway, incase they decided to follow. She stopped as she watched to see if she was followed, "Good coast is clear. Getting back is going to be a lot trickier."

Roxanne walked down the streets of Paris, towards the apartment complex that Rax had taken her the night before. Roxanne knocked on the door, to the last apartment on the top floor. Lester answered the door, "Hey cutie you look like shit. You want dear Lester to give ya a kiss to make you feel better?"

She rolls her eyes and knocks a good punch into his gut, "SHUT UP LESTER!" and walks past him.

Lester shuts the door and coughing slightly, "Don't take it that serious."

Rax walked into the room, after hearing the racket and glanced at Roxanne. The first thought that entered his mind was poor girl, yet it was his doing that got her into this mess. Roxanne looked as though she spent most the night crying, because her eyes were red and her face a bit puffy. Rax asks pretending to be shock, "What happened?"

She says with an attitude, "That's what I want to know. Apparently somebody found me passed out on a bench. On top of that, my dad accusing me of drinking several bottles of I don't know what."

Rax replied, "I don't know what to say. You can ask any one of us here and we'll tell ya you only had one drink. You did fall asleep on the couch. Later on you left saying you didn't want your father to worry. If I would of known you'd be falling asleep all over the place, I would have dropped you off myself."

She says agreeing with the story, "That's sort of what I told him."

Rax moved closer to her and put a comforting arm around her and noticed a slight mark on her cheek. Rax brushed his hand over her cheek, "You didn't deserve this. I should shoot some stilettos in his face for this."

Roxanne protested, "Rax don't worry about it."

Rax leads her over towards the couch and sits her down, "Don't worry about it? That don't sound like the Roxanne I know. You'd never let any one of the guys get away with this. I just saw ya give Lester a nice blow...you certainly haven't lost your touch."

She looks to him a bit lost in herself, "What can I do? He's my father. He doesn't trust me anymore then I trust him. He cares more for that stupid job then he does about me." Roxanne's right hand gripped the pillow on the couch and nearly tried to rip it to shreds.

Rax knew he hit her soft point, which he intended to do all along. Rax took the pillow from her grasps, "But there is a way to get back at him. Your father's been working extra hard for the PNA, by helping out for that peace summit hasn't he."

She looked to him, "Yeah. It's kind of taken away any time I can spend with him."

Rax suggest, "Why not help sabotage it? It could be a real eye opener for him."

She had a curious look on her face, "How do you propose I sabotage it? That place is heavily guarded. Besides I wouldn't want to mess up your plans as well."

Rax insisted, "No...you'd be helping us out a great deal. You see I gave Lester a job...and you know how he is. He screwed it up, so I need somebody more experienced and has a free get pass the guard card. I want you to re-plant some bombs in the building."

Roxanne stood up and shook her head, "Rax I'm not keen on the killing idea. I certainly am not going to have any part in blowing up my father. I'm not that angry."

Rax sat back smiling, "Who said anything about blowing anything up? I merely want you to plant some of our special homemade smoke bombs. It's sort of a diversion to get rid of the muscle guards. So what do you say are you in or out?"

She thinks about it for about 5 seconds and says with a wicked grin, "I'm in."

Later that day Roxanne walked up the steps of the PNA conference center carrying two black shopping bags. The guard at the door stopped her, "Where do you think your going miss?"

She replies, "Inside to see my father."

The guard laugh, "Oh yeah heard that before. I know everybody daddy inside the building. Your not going in is that clear, so scram."

Another guard walked over after hearing his rude comment and glanced at the young girl, "Actually I remember you, your father is the one in charge."

The other guard gave him a confused look, "Oh...sorry go ahead." He holds the door open for her.

She giggles slightly, "Thanks." Roxanne walked into the lobby and check to see if any of Matt's agents were around, "Well this makes my job easier. Their probably elsewhere in the building." She picked up speed and walked into the ladies room locking the door behind her. Since Gloria was the only female in the building, it was the best safe place to hide. Rax gave her the blue prints of the ventilation system, which Roxanne was going to plant the smoke bombs. Rax figured they wouldn't sweep them again, after they'd secure the building. She looked at the vent on the ceiling and dug through one of the shopping bags for a screwdriver. Roxanne stood on top of one of the toilet and unscrewed the two screws from the vent. Each screw was placed in her pocket carefully. If a screw went missing when she placed the vent cover back on, then they would re-check the ventilation systems. Roxanne tossed both bags up through the hole. She then jumped up to reach the vent, using all her strength to pull her body up into the small shaft. The ventilation shaft was rather cramp with two bags and herself. Roxanne began to push the bags down the shaft. She thinks, "Just plant a few of these out of view in the vent, and when these suckers go off the guards are going to think there's a fire." She kept low and moved through the vent rather slowly, so nobody would hear her or the bags. The first thing Roxanne did was tape up all the vents that lead to the auditorium. Sure the room temperature was going to increase and it may get really humid in there, but it was the only way to ensure the world leaders didn't get exposed when the bombs go off.

Meanwhile Roxanne was circulating through the vent setting up some smoke bombs, she overheard two voices she recognized. She moved closer towards the vent which she heard the talking from, yet she couldn't get much of a view from her angle, besides her father's face. Which caused her to back up a bit and become worried of him looking in her direction.

Buddy says to Matt a bit worried, "I have no problem impersonating the guy, but this speech is going to be my downfall."

Matt laugh a bit, "Buddy you've never been nervous before doing this."

Buddy says with a smirk in his tone, "Yeah well I've never had to give a speech in front of 50 world leaders before. This speech is a killer to remember. On top of that, foreign affairs are not my specialty."

Matt said chuckling a bit, "If your lucky right before you say your speech, this White Fang terrorist group will show up."

Roxanne thinks to herself, "White Fang isn't that a movie? Who thought of that name? That is so incredibly stupid, I bet it was the president of Contra World. What idiots? Like that's going to keep MASK out of the investigation."

Buddy sighs, "I can only hope my friend." Buddy and Matt turn to leave the room.

Roxanne was rather disappointed she couldn't get a look at Buddy. She did find it odd that he didn't come with them on the transport to Paris. After all Matt did say he had a job for Buddy, yet she didn't catch any of the details. She looked at her watch, "I better get too it. Got at least 4 more to set up and I'm out of here."

After she set up the remaining smoke bombs, she backtracked through the vent to where she came in. She threw both bags on the ground; only one of them was partially full. Afterwards she slowly dropped herself from the vent and pulled out the screws placing them back on the vent nice and securely. Roxanne glanced at her watch; it took her an hour to accomplish her mission and nobody knew she was in the building. She tossed the empty bag in the trash and dusts some cobwebs out of clothing and hair. She unlocked the door and peaked out, the coast was clear, "Make a break for the door and I'm out of this joint." She walked as fast as she could to the door, again none of Matt's agents seem to be around and she had no problem exiting the building. Of course as soon as she stepped outside, she could see the Thunderhawk parked in the front of the building. Roxanne panicked, "I am so dead." She walked down the steps slowly towards the Thunderhawk, yet it was empty. She sort of laugh to herself, "Nothing to be afraid of. It's just the car." She began to walk away down the sidewalk.

Meanwhile Matt just exited the conference center with Duane Kenny. Matt assured him, "I'm telling you everything is set for tomorrow. There's no way the White Fang is going to slip through our fingers this time." Matt was going to continue except he saw a girl who looked exactly like Roxanne walking away from the Thunderhawk, "Excuse me Duane." Matt quickly walked down the steps towards the figure, "Roxanne?"

She halted for a second after hearing him utter her name and picked up speed, yet the bag she was carrying sort of slowed her down. She thinks, "Yeah sure running going to get me out of this situation. He'll just ground me more back at the hotel." She stops running and turns to look at him with a guilty expression on her face, "Hey dad..."

Matt stood in front of her with his arms crossed, "Didn't I tell you not to leave the hotel?"

She looks down, "Yes you did, but I had to see you."

Matt looked at her with disbelief, "So you're running from me?"

She laughs slightly and rubs the back her neck, "I...uh...I'm a bit scared about how you'd react to me sneaking out of the hotel. After last night I just couldn't help, but thinking you'd do something worst." Matt reaches a hand out towards her, and Roxanne took a step back.

Matt put his hand down and said in a sad tone, "I'm sorry that I slapped you. I didn't mean for things to get out of hand like that. Trust is something I value, which is something you have yet to earn from me. You lie, find ways to cheat, and worst of all I know your keeping secrets from me."

She grips the shopping bag tighter, "Dad I'm sorry. I doubt you can forgive me for what happened or what I put you through. I'm afraid to tell the truth, because I know it will hurt you. But it always back fires, like it did last night. What I did and said was inexcusable, and if I could take it back I would. I dug my own hole, and nobody is to blame for it but myself."

Matt asks her curiously, "Why did you do it?"

Roxanne turned her back to him; she hated every minute of this. She was forcing herself to admit to something she didn't do. She says in a soft tone, "Because I'm angry at you." She turns around to face him with her eyes welding up in tears, "For the past six months, all I could think about was coming home and wondering what it would be like to have an actual father. And now that I'm home, the only time I see you is when you're grounding me. You spend so much time working; you never have time for me. It kind of makes me feel I'm not wanted, sort of depresses me. I saw a group of guys having fun and figured if I had a few drinks, I'd have some fun as well and forget my troubles."

Matt walked towards her and puts his hands on her shoulder, "Listen to me, just because I work doesn't mean I stop being your father. You can come to me anytime. Scott does even when I'm in the middle of shooting down Switchblade. You two are more important to me, I guess I tend to forget that when I'm wrapped up in my work. I'll make you a promise, and I never go back on my promises. When we get back home you can plan something, so the two of us can spend time together."

She smiled, "Thanks dad."

Matt puts and arm around her and walks her towards Thunderhawk, "But that still means you're grounded." Matt looked at the bag she was carrying, "What's in the bag?"

She smiled, "Oh a little something I bought for you." Roxanne opens the bag and pulls out a blue sweater. Of course when she got a glance at what was wrapped in it, she started to panic. She pulls the sweater out carefully and instantly shut the bag. She hands the sweater to her father and smiles to cover up her displeasure," Here I hope it fits." Her eyes drift nervously down to the bag and she cursed at herself repeatedly. Roxanne forgot to plant a smoke bomb. She was too busy trying to set everything up; she didn't think to look deeper in the bag.

Matt looked at the sweater and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, "Thanks Hun, I'll wear it to dinner tonight."

They stop at the Thunderhawk and she replies, "I'm glad you like it."

Matt ordered her, "Roxanne get in Thunderhawk I'm dropping you off at the hotel. This time I expect you to stay there."

She nods, "I will." She says silently to herself while she put the bag in the back seat, "Yeah after I get rid of the extra smoke bomb."

She got in Thunderhawk and just as Matt was going to drive away Bruce came running down the steps, "MATT...wait!"

Matt steps out and heads over to Bruce, "What is it? You won't believe it but VENOM been sighted in the area."

Matt shook his head, "That don't surprise me one bit."

Bruce continues, "They robbed a bank in a town several miles North of Paris."

Matt guess, "Probably using it as a decoy to distract us from tomorrow's raid. I can't take the whole team; else we'll be short handed tomorrow. Get me Dusty and Jacque we'll investigate what's taking place up there. If all goes well we'll be back in time."

Bruce nods, "Ok Matt." Then heads back in to tell Dusty and Jacque the news.

Matt turned and looked to Roxanne, "Do you think you can walk back to the hotel?"

She steps out of the Thunderhawk, "Yeah I can find my way. Good luck dad."

Matt smiles as he gets back in the Thunderhawk, "I'll need it."

Roxanne waves to him as Thunderhawk takes off down the street, soon after both Gator and Volcano were following him. She begins to walk towards the hotel, until she realizes she left her bag in the car. She covered her mouth, "No...Shit I forgot the bag." She starred off in the direction of where the Thunderhawk was; yet it was long gone. She looks about nervously, "Don't panic he'll come back in time, you'll take the bomb out before it goes off. I hope." She kicks the side of nearby building, "I could radio to him, 'Dad sorry to inform you, but I planted a bomb in your car.' But he'll send me away after he finds out. It won't kill him its just sleeping gas. Right?" Roxanne took the long way back to the hotel, pondering what to do next.


Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge