Blood and Water
Chapter 7
by Lisa L.

Illustrations by Hytac



Roxanne closed her eyes for a second as she felt the power of the gun run throughout her entire body.

Scott's eyes were wide with disbelief. He looked up to his father in pure terror and says in a quivering voice, "Dad?" Scott looked down as his breathing increased rapidly. He felt more fear than pain when he saw the red blood soaking through his favorite shirt. He stood there in shock. His knees felt too weak to sustain his own weight…

Finally, he gave in. His body fell forward, but Matt's strong hands reached out to catch his son before he hit the ground.

He couldn't believe she actually pulled the trigger. He never would have guessed she was that cold hearted and full of hate. The image and remembrance of her mother clouded his image of the truth, he finally realized.

He pushed his pondering thoughts aside and looked down at Scott. Matt brushed Scott's hair aside to glance into his son's eyes, "Scott how are you doing?"

Scott replies weakly, "I feel cold dad. I'm scared."

Roxanne still stood there. Her gun was still aimed straight at the both of them. She never moved an inch after firing. She forced her hands to keep the gun still and pointed on Matt, “If I were you I'd take him to a hospital right now. If you want him to live."

She turns her back on him and hops onto T-Bob. Her face showed no emotion, despite her emotions building up inside of her. She couldn't believe it herself that she shot Scott. Sure he got on her nerves, but it didn't feel right. She figured she better leave the scene before she changed her mind,

"Move out T-Bob- and fast." She planted her hands firmly on his handle bars, then T-bob took off in the opposite direction.

Matt took off his jacket and applied it over Scott's right side. He pressed down hard on the wound. He was hoping to stop the blood flow, and to prevent Scott from losing too much blood. Scott cried out in pain. Matt picked him up and carried him to Thunderhawk's passenger side.

Matt tried desperately to think quickly and held back any frustrations. Sweat poured down Scott's face as he grunted out in pain. Matt grabbed Scott's hand and placed it over his jacket, "Scott you’re going to have to hold this here, as tight as you possible can."

Scott nodded slightly as his glassy eyes followed his father. Matt ran over to the driver's side. He hastily shifted it into gears and sent it flying off the ground. Matt headed in the direction to the nearest medical facility.

He constantly glanced at Scott, knowing his heath was deteriorating by the minute. He tried to comfort his son, but felt his words were doing more harm then good.

As Thunderhawk flew from above, he noticed Roxanne on T-bob racing away. He felt his blood boil as he saw her, but now wasn't the time nor the place to think about revenge. He turned on his turbo boosters and Thunderhawk sped past them.



Thunderhawk landed at Mercy Hospital and pulled up to the entrance of the Emergency Room. Matt jumped out of Thunderhawk. He shouted, "Somebody help my son!"

He opened the passenger side door. Scott's eyes were barely open. "Hang on, " He grabbed Scott and rushed him inside the hospital. Matt yelled again, "I need help!"

A couple of doctors came racing towards them with a stretcher. Matt laid Scott out on the stretcher. The doctors surrounded Scott, yet Scott grabbed onto his father's hand, refusing to let to.

The doctors rolled Scott off to medical room three. Scott refused to let go, so Matt was forced to be dragged along side of him. Once they reached the room, a nurse stopped him from going any further.

Scott cried out, reaching his arms towards him, "Dad!"

Matt replied hoping to ease his fears, "Don't worry you'll be fine." Scott lay there watching his father being pulled away from him. Once the doors closed in, he lost sight of his father and tears fell down his cheeks.



Matt stood against the wall, his mind still trying to make sense of what happened. He looked down at his hands which were shaking violently. The sight of them just made him feel sick to his stomach. His hands were stained with his son's blood.

Matt stormed off towards the men's room. He grabbed the bar of soap and ran his hands under the sink. He hastily tried to get the blood off his hands. His eyes watched as the blood trickled down the drain.

He grabbed the paper towel and wiped his hands. He then looked up at himself in the mirror, his hands still shaking violently.

He promised himself he would protect his family and he failed again. "If only he had listened to Brad in the first place, none of this would have happened. If only he told his teammates, they could have stopped her. If only..."

These thoughts ran constantly through Matt's head. He could figure just about anything out if he put his mind to it, but not this. He had lost all control of the situation and was about to have a breakdown.

Matt closed his eyes, " I need help… I can't do this alone. I completely forgot I have a team to back me up."



As soon as Matt walked out of the men's room a doctor approached him, "Are you the boy's father?"

Matt looked up, trying to remain claim, practically fearing the worst, "Yeah...how…?"

The doctor rested his hands on his shoulder, "Don't worry he's in good hands now. He's in surgery at the moment having the bullet removed. From what I can tell the bullet didn't do any major damage. No organs were hit, it was a straight clean shot. I'm surprised the shot didn't pull all the way through. All he's going to need is a few stitches and several days of rest. He'll be running and jumping around in no time."

Matt let out a sigh of relief, "Oh thank you very much." He asked, "When can I see him?"

The doctor says in a slightly aggressive tone, "I'm afraid we can't let you see him until the police arrive."

Matt looked appalled. "Are you implying I shot my own son?"

The doctor shook his head, "No it's just standard procedure. Any shooting incidents must be reported to the police. We are just concerned for the boy's well being."

Matt grew angry. He grabbed the doctor's white coat, "You want to know the truth?! His sister shot him and since I cared for my son so much, I choose to rush him over here in fear for his life, instead of going after her. Nothing is going to stop me from seeing my son-is that clear?"

The doctor looked shaken, "Uh securi..."

Matt let go of the doctor and threatened, "As soon as my son out of surgery I want to see him. Or else you'll have the PNA down your neck is that clear?"

The doctor nodded and walked away almost too scared to look back.

Matt walked towards the waiting room and sat down. He slumped down in the chair in the back of the room. Ironically this was the same room he waited in when Rebecca was injured.

Somehow this puzzle was causing his life to go in circles, but this time he wasn't going to let anyone get away. He had to put a stop to this, even if it meant sending his daughter to juvenile hall. It was for her own good and she was beyond his reach.

Matt starred blankly at the clock pondering his next move. He figured as soon as Scott got out of surgery, he'd call a meeting.


Her head rested against T-Bob's head, as she attempted to clear that horrifying vision from her thoughts. They both pleaded to her, yet she showed no mercy and pulled the trigger.

She looked around and saw nothing but sand for miles. She lifted her head, "T-bob stop." She hops off him and walks along the side of the road looking for a marker to tell her the location. She smiled as she saw the hidden marker on the side of the road, "Soon I'll be home."

She faced in the direction the marker pointed off the road. To the average person it was nothing but endless sand. To a VENOM agent, it was a hidden driveway leading to their private base. She knew she had at lease 5 more miles to go until she reached the base, but she couldn't allow T-Bob to tag along. He was not only a security risk, but had a tracking device located on him. "So I guess I'll be walking from here on," she crosses her arms. She looks at T-Bob and pulled out the black box from his compartment. She stuffs it into her pocket, "Ok T-Bob your orders are to keep going to straight down that road."

"Yes Ma'am," T-Bob takes off driving straight down the road. "Well at least I don't have to worry about anybody following me now." She walked down the hidden driveway hoping she'd make it to the base before the sun set. The last thing she wanted was to be alone and lost in the desert.

She walked through the desert slowly dragging her feet. The hot sun beat down on her body, causing her to grow tired. She wiped her forehead and remembered the last time she was alone in the desert. Vanessa made her run those 5 miles back to the base. Of course, now she felt completely out of shape after being in bed for a month. She grumbled to herself, "Oh quit your bitch'n. You can do it. You've done it before."

She stopped a couple times dumping hot sand from her shoes. The heat wasn't the only thing that was troubling her, her stomach growled violently. She spent so much time putting her operation into effect she forgotten to eat. On the other hand, the image of shooting Scott was still fresh in her mind. It was hard to even think of eating after experiencing that. Vanessa never told her what it actually felt like to shoot somebody. Then again she probably didn't shoot anybody she had any association with. She closed her eyes and held her stomach, "I'm not going to be sick, I'm not going to be sick."

She took a breath of fresh fire-burning air. She says with confidence, "I didn't kill him, I know that for a fact. That wound was hardly fatal. I know Matt made it to the hospital in time. He's not that foolish. When this situation clears up, I'll just give Scott a call and tell him I'm sorry for the whole thing. That will make me feel much better. Then I'll never have to see or hear from him again." She shuffled her feet in the sand and sank her hands in her pockets. "Maybe I should have shot Matt, Scott really didn't deserve it." She growls, "This whole situation was Matt fault, he's the one that deserved it. He's the one who pressured me to do this. I can't believe I shot that kid over him. Why did I? I can't be jealous, he's not my real father." She continues to talk to herself, "Maybe I had to hurt him and this was the only way."



The sun finally set as she stopped in front of a door to an abandoned plane hangar. On the outside it looked like nothing but rusted metal, but actually the hangar was a cover up for a 20 level below ground abandoned military base. She knew Mayhem and his team far too well to know he wouldn't post a guard. He could install several video cameras and still anybody could walk through the front door unnoticed.

Mayhem was never worried about MASK or any other officials finding VENOM official headquarters. He was always moving his team around the globe, each time taking different escape routes back home. She never understood why MASK didn't bother to chase after VENOM. It would seem like a logical choice to end this never ending battle between them. She figured they must see this as some sort of cat and mouse game, a hobby to do in there spare time.

She knew everything about this base, weak points, escape locks, and vents. If she wanted to she could walk right in there and fire her gun away like crazy. She shakes her head, "What on earth am I thinking? I'm not a mass murderer. Sure I'm angry they left me behind, but that's beyond what I'm capable of doing. I'm just going to walk right in there and give each an every one of them a piece of my mind."

She walks into the hangar and heads towards the elevator. She tucks her gun in the back, as she waits for the elevator to reach floor 12. She crossed her arms running several possible scenarios threw her head, "They'll either forgive me or kill me. Either way I'm ready. If they won't take me in then I have no place to go."

The elevator came to a stop and the doors flew open. She walked out of the elevator showing no emotions and no fear of the future. She walked straight down the hallway standing tall, yet enraged with anger.

Several of Mayhem followers stood dead on the spot. It was hard to believe that she came back. She stopped in front of Mayhem's office. At first she thought of knocking, but why spoil the surprise. She couldn't careless about what he's doing in his office. She thought, " He can't order me around not while I have that chip. I hold his future in the palm of my hand, and if he refuses me. I'll crush it and even tell MASK where his base is." She smiled wickedly at the thought.

She opens the door and barges in. Mayhem, Vanessa, Cliff dagger, Bruno, and Floyd Malloy were standing around Mayhem's desk looking over the layout, of the Idaho compound holding a micro chip. Mayhem spoke up enraged, "I thought I ordered not to be disturbed!"

Roxanne narrowed her eyes, "Well unfortunately your orders mean absolutely nothing to me." Each and everyone of their faces looked up surprised.

Vanessa was the first to break the on going silence, "What are you doing here?"

Roxy speaks harshly, "From the last I checked, I lived here? Or am I not welcome here anymore?"

Mayhem grabbed her arm, "Oh of course your not welcome. Floyd go scout the area. She probably lead MASK to our headquarters."

She pushed him away from her and laughs, "Oh come now, you taught me better then that." She walked around him. Her hands behind her back covering the gun, "If I even thought of betraying you, for just a moment. Would I be that crazy to walk back in here? I'm not stupid. I don't betray people like you do, Mayhem." She raised her voice in anger, " I know you left me behind to be forgotten. I've known since day one, you'd try anything to get rid of me. All this time I was fooled into believing that I fitted into this group of misfits. I though we had a family going on here, where we all watch each other's backs. Well I see now I was wrong about everything," she said in a serious tone.

Mayhem looked at her with disgust, "You failed your mission, I don't tolerate failures."

She started to laugh extremely loud and looked around the room glancing into everyone's face. She suggested, "Maybe you should open your eyes wider, Miles. Cause if you look around this room it's full of them. Every attempt to overcome MASK failed miserably. Don't sound so sure of yourself Miles, you've failed countless times. Nothing makes you any better then me."

The heat in the room went soaring up, as she said those words. Everyone turned and looked at her with anger. Each one of them wanted to wring her throat. Mayhem expression was beyond hate, he had never liked it when the truth was brought to his face.

He lunged at her violently and grabbed her shirt by the fist of his hand, "I've been waiting a long time to teach you a lesson girl."

Sly speaks up behind him, "Yeah well when you’re done with her, the rest of us want a piece."

Cliff Dagger pounded his fists together. She figured now would be a good idea to tell them, before they got in line to pound her. Her eyes looked straight at Mayhem showing no fear whatsoever, "Before you even think of teaching me any lessons, I have a business proposition you need to hear."

Mayhem’s hot breath filled her face, "You’re in no position to do that."

She reaches her hand to her back and pull out her gun pointing it on Mayhem. Mayhem takes a few steps back, "You’re going to shoot us all, if we don't listen?"

She shook her head, "I know I wouldn't make it far, but I'm still a good shot. If I have to take one person with me to my grave it’d best be you." She glanced at his desk seeing some sort of plan in the making, " I'm here to tell you your plan isn't going to work."

Vanessa raised a brow, "And why not?" She said in a mocking tone,

"The chip is no longer there."

Sly shook his head in disbelief, "I've received no such information." She held the gun firmly in her hands, "Of course you haven't it's suppose to be a secret."

Mayhem grew impatient, "What are you getting at?"

She smiles, "Well if your willing to accept me back, I might be willing to tell you where it is."

Bruno burst out, "I bet you she's lying."

She turned and looked at Bruno, "And if I'm not, I destroy it. Then your plan for defeating MASK is terminated."

Mayhem was curious yet intrigued by her effort, "I want you all to leave the room. I'll hear you out." She nodded with a smile, "That's much better."

She set the gun down at her side, while each agent left the room. Roxanne avoided all eye contact with any of them. She knew she'd have to regain their trust, after saying such blunt words. Unfortunately, she didn't care at the moment- they had all deserted her. She had a right to lash out at them.

Mayhem slammed the door shut, when the room was cleared, "Take a seat." Instead of taking the arm chair in front of her, she walked around his desk. She sat back in his chair snuggling nice and comfortably into it. Mayhem eyes narrowed on her. He knew something was up, but until he got it out of her, he figured he better control his anger. She pulled the gun out and set it on the table. She then kicked her feet up on his desk and swung slightly in his chair.

Mayhem moved closer to the desk, "Show me the chip and maybe I'll listen to you."

She nodded, "Reasonable enough for me." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a black box. She opened it slightly to reveal a computer chip inside, then hastily snapped it shut. Mayhem looked at her, a bit amused. He was inches away from what he needed, but what did she want in return for it?

Mayhem sat down in the chair opposite to her, "What do you want for it?"

She rested a finger on her cheek, "What do I want? hmm. You know I came all this way and I still don't really know. It's too hard to decide, there are several things I want. First, I want in on every mission. I don't want to be on the side lines, while you guys out have all the fun."

Mayhem smirked, "Fun?"

She said in a cheery voice, "Well it sure beats cleaning up the base. I want my own mask and vehicle."

Mayhem protested, "You can't expect me to put one together over night, besides you don't have your driver's license yet. Your far too young to handle such power."

She shook her head, "You know that wasn't the answer I was looking for. I know it will take time to develop such equipment, so I'm giving you 6 month to have them made. Like I said I want in on the action every aspect of it. I already know how to drive, I've practiced using Vanessa's mask several times. I say I'm ready to handle the power and the responsibility. I used all my resources to get this chip, if you refuse I'm afraid it's going to become junk."

Mayhem protested, "I never said I wouldn't. Seeing that I don't have a choice, I'll grant your request. Can I have it now?"

She was just about ready to hand it over, before something else grabbed her attention. She held the box in her hands, "I have one more thing to ask of you." Mayhem growled under his lip, "What else could she want?"

She looked straight at him, "Tell me the truth. Why did you leave me behind?"

Mayhem figured she already knew the answer, "That's a stupid question to ask."

She orders, "Tell me!"

Mayhem looks at her reading her facial expression, "At first it was so we'd stay on schedule. I then felt that you'd be happier living with your father, instead of this cold base which has nothing to offer you."

Her eyes widened a bit, "Not you too! That can't be true!" She stood up and threw the box on the desk, "Matt Trakker is and will never be my father! It was a lie. He used me." She went ballistic and walked around the room, "Don't you dare tell me that high class bigot is my father!"

Mayhem stopped her rampage and said questionably, "My dear… you didn't know?"

She sats down on the corner of the desk in disbelief, " I didn't want to believe it. Vanessa told me MASK would do anything to get information. He can't be my father. He just can't be the same man who killed my mother."

Mayhem rubbed his chin. It was obvious the girl had all her facts mixed up and was vulnerable.

"Roxanne I was a dear friend of your mother. I had no idea she had a child, until I saw a picture of her a couple weeks ago." Mayhem moves closer to her and kneels in front of her, "Your mother was trying to hide from your father-Matt when one mad night he nearly killed her. Of course before I could help her," Mayhem gave her an expression of grief. "He found her. I'll never forgive Matt for killing her, which is why I hate him and that name so much."

She holds her fist tight, "I should have killed him when I had a chance." Tears fall down her face.

Mayhem brushes his hand over her face to rub them away, " My dear I'll give you a chance to have your revenge. Will you trust me?" Her eyes look deeply into his. His performance was far too believable for her to turn away. Mayhem sticks out his hand. Roxanne reaches out and puts the black box in his hand.

Mayhem stands up and places his other hand on her shoulder, "I'm proud of you Roxanne. I wish you could have been my daughter."

She smiles a bit, "I would like that a lot Dad."

He smiles back, "Come on lets celebrate your home coming and tell everyone the good news." Mayhem shoved the box into his pocket. This whole situation was a joke to him. He could see Matt suffering more trauma when he found out about his daughter. He was just hoping for a chance to rub this into his face. Then again she could grow up to be one of his best agents. She was far too determined to succeed, he realized that now.


Scott opens his eyes slightly. His hand runs over his eyes covering them from the light, which nearly blinded him.

"Good Morning," Matt smiled as he sat by his son.

Scott smiled back, "Oh dad I thought I was..."

Matt interrupted him, "Shh don't talk like that. I wouldn't let anything like that happen to you." Matt ruffles his hair slightly, "The doctor said you'll be running and jumping around in no time."

Scott wanted to be happy, yet he felt sad, "But it won't be the same with out T-bob." Matt tried to cheer him up, "Don't worry I'm going to get him back. This time I'm going to have Bruce put a permanent lock on his programming, so this doesn't happen again." Matt wanted to get off the subject. The last thing he needed to do was upset his son and himself, "How about I get you some breakfast."

Scott nodded, "Bacon and scrambled eggs." Matt replied, "Ok I'll be back in a second." Scott closed his eyes. He could still hear that gun ringing throughout his ears, just then the phone rang. Scott looked over to the phone, he thought it was probably one of dad's agents. Scott reaches over to grab the phone, "Hello?"

The voice on the other end was silent. Scott could hear the stranger's breathing, "Who is this?"

A girl’s voice replies, "I'm sorry Scott forgive me." The stranger slams the phone down. Scott moved the phone from his ear and says softly to himself, "Roxanne?" Just then Matt walked in with a tray of food.

"Calling somebody?" Matt moved the table over to Scott and set the tray down in front of him.

Scott shook his head uneasily, "No it was a wrong number." Scott started to eat his breakfast, "Dad can I ask you something?"

Matt sits down, "You can ask me anything." Scott ask, "Is Roxanne really your daughter?"

Matt looked at his son. He probably should have told him ask me anything but that. Matt looks into his son's eyes, "Truthfully I'm having a hard time believing it myself at the moment. She is my daughter, I've done so many tests and background checks. They all point to me."

Scott remembered his talk with Roxanne the other night, "Did you kill her mother?"

Matt couldn't believe the question he just asked, "What would make you ask that?"

Scott shrugged, "Something Roxanne told me. She said her father killed her mother. Maybe you weren't what she pictured."

Matt held his son’s hand, "Maybe that was my mistake. I didn't want to talk about her mother. I loved her, but when she left me I couldn't deal with it. Just thinking about her mother makes me angry. No more talking about this right now, Scott. You need to eat and rest. I'll deal with Roxanne, just concentrate on getting better."

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door. Matt said softly, "come in."

The door opened and there stood Brad and Buddy. Buddy was holding his hat, "We got here as soon as we could. How are you doing Scott?"

Scott said with a smile, "Good I just want to get out of here."

Brad smirks, "I know the feeling, you know they wanted to keep me for another week." Matt stood up and said seriously, "Buddy will you stay with Scott. I want to have a little talk with Brad."

Buddy glanced at both of them, "Yeah… sure thing."



Buddy sat back and watched through the window. He knew Brad and Matt were fighting about something, but he couldn't make out their conversation. About ten minutes later their talk was over, and Brad took off. Matt reentered the room. Buddy raised a brow despite knowing what they were talking about,

"Where's Brad off too?"

Matt sat down next to his son, "I can't really tell you, Buddy. I can never keep tabs on him."

Buddy leaned back in his chair, "So what are you planning to do about Brad?"

Matt looked undecided, "I'm not sure. I'll let you know before our next meeting. I need to think about this before I make a final decision."

Buddy nodded and choose to stop pressing the issue.


Two days later at MASK headquarters. Matt sat at the head of the huge round table. He looked to each of his friends, before he had the guts to speak.

Matt spoke in a serious tone, "I'm sure your all wondering, why Brad isn't here." From the look of it only Buddy knew the actual reason. He just tilted his head down, as though he was a bit of ashamed of it. Matt looked at everybody in the room, "Brad is no longer a MASK agent. He's been stripped of his vehicle and mask. He has betrayed his teammates."

Matt stood up and turned his back to the group, "I know what I did was just as bad. I acted selfishly and might have even cost our own lives. I'm willing to make up for my mistakes anyway I can."

Alex tapped his finger on the table in thought, "Matt we don't blame you for what you did. Any of us would of done the same for Scott. In some ways we feel as though we've all helped to raise the boy."

Gloria agreed with Alex, "And don't beat yourself up over Roxanne. She fooled us all, but why does Brad have to leave?"

Matt turned to face her, "He's been giving confidential information away, for several months now. It was only a matter of time before he was caught. I decided to just let him go, after what he's done for this team I thought it best."

Dusty argued, "But with VENOM building it's new weapon were going to need all our strength." Matt nodded, " I know that is why I'm looking for a replacement."

Gloria decided to protest, "This new replacement won't be familiar with Condor. I don't think that was a good judgment call Matt."

Matt leans on the table, "Are you suggesting I go back to Brad and ask him to come back? I'm afraid this discussion is over with. Brad is not coming back, nor do I want any of you to have contact with him. We’re having a serious information leakage problem. I assure you I will only find the best to replace the best."

Bruce added, "All right then. What is the plan to stop VENOM? We don't know where they’re hiding."

Alex answered, "Well we've picked up T-bob yesterday in hope that Roxanne would still be with him. Unfortunately, the girl left him behind. I've tried checking his program for any possible answers, but all I can give is an estimate. She probably anywhere between Here and the Mexican boarder."

Buddy shook his head, "That's a lot of territory to cover."

Matt said with an unhappy voice, "Unless VENOM makes a move, we have no choice but to wait until they give us an invitation."

Dusty said with disbelief, "So were just going to stand by and let them build their killing machine."

"I'm afraid so," Matt answered.

Alex suggested, "In the meantime, we should learn about this weapon were up against. Repair and improve our vehicles and be on close watch for VENOM."

Matt sat back down, "Agreed, this meeting is adjourned."

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge