Blood and Water
Chapter 5
by Lisa L.

Illustrations by Hytac


A young girl, about the age of seven, in a white night gown walks down a long, dark hallway. A couple feet in front of her was a door that was open just a crack. A bright white light shone strongly enough, through the door, to light up the hall. She tip-toes slowly towards the door as she hears arguing voices.

She says softly, "Mommy." No response is given and the voices grow louder. She could make out her mother voice, but not the man she was with. She covered her eyes as the bright light blinded her the closer she got. She peeped through the door.

She saw her mother crying in terror. A man's voice boomed loudly, "I told you Rebecca you'd regret leaving me!" Just then the man moves towards the door and slams it shut and locking it.

The girl hears her mother scream for help… yet she just stands there crying.

Roxy opens her eyes with haste. Sweat pours down her face, as she breathes heavily. She lay there rubbing her eyes repeatedly saying to herself, "only a dream...only a dream." She looks around, hoping her surroundings would ease her terror, but she was still stuck in the same miserable room she was in last week.

The room was painted white. It only contained one chair, her bed, and too many monitors that she didn't feel necessary to be hooked up to. She wanted out so bad that if she had to she'd kill for it. She sighs, " I have to think of some way to get out of here."

She sits up in her bed and thinks to herself, "Somehow I have to get Trakker to put me in a more free moving about position. Of course, only having one good leg and being locked up in this dull room isn't going to accomplish anything."

She looks about, puzzled, "Why hasn't anybody tried to rescue me yet? Maybe they don't think I'm important enough, but Vanessa wouldn't let Mayhem get away with that would she? Naa...." She shakes the thought from her head, "They probably don't know my location. That has to be it. Their probable working on that right now, just waiting for the right time to strike."

She calms herself down, " Now I have to start walking, and maybe I can get that lock picked and get the heck out of here, before anyone notices."

She stands up on both her feet. She closes her eyes grunting as a rush of pain run throughout her entire body. Every step she took towards the door she would bit harder down on her lip, attempting to block out the pain. Her eyes welled up in tears, as she attempts not to scream, "Come on just a bit further."

She limps as she walks halfway across the room, until the door slides open. Matt steps in and quickly heads over to her side, " What are you doing out of bed?"

"Would you believe I wanted a glass of water?" she smiles to him innocently. He picks her up and lays her back on the bed. She sits up and pull her knees in. Her head looks down as thought she was ashamed of herself. She thinks, "I should of known he'd be watching the room. I'll bet he has a camera hidden in one of those lights or maybe the vent."

Matt speaks as he lifts her head up to face him, " Roxanne you know better then to get out of bed. Your body is still trying to get its strength back."

"I can't help it. I can't stand being in this room any longer," she looks to him frustrated. "So I figured if I started walking again you'd let me out of here, "she gives him a sad looking face.

Matt looks at her for a few minutes. He knew he couldn't let her out of his sight just yet. She knows too much and she is weak, but he couldn't stand making her feel so miserable. Not after what he put his wife throughout 15 years ago. "How about we talk about it in the morning?" He figures this will give him time to think about it.

She sighs, "Truthfully, I can't sleep. I think I've slept more then I ever have in my entire lifetime."

Matt yawns, "Why not?"

She looked at him obviously it must be late, but then again she had no way to tell time, " You wouldn't want to know."

"If it's about a bed time story I'm sure I could squeeze one in, " Matt says. She laughs, " I'm 14 years old, I'm far to old for a bed time story. I'm just troubled by a lot of nightmares. It makes it harder to fall asleep."

Matt reassures her, "your safe here. Nothing can get in this room to hurt you. I won't let that happen.

"No it's not that, it's just everything that has happened to me just comes back to haunt me," She looks away.

"You can tell me anything, Roxanne," Matt holds her hand.

Roxanne thinks for a moment, "I can't tell him my dreams, I hardly even know this guy. Besides their far too personal, only Vanessa would understand. On the other hand I could just tell a little white lie."

"I..I keep having dreams about VENOM. I'm constantly trying to run away from them, everywhere I went down that alley another agent would pop up to stop me, "

She looks at him in tears. "For two months I was locked away in a small darkroom, sometimes I wouldn't get fed for days or weeks, because nobody was around. Some....sometimes he would come in." She starts to shake as her tone grows more upsetting. "Everything hurt so bad. He was so angry about his plans being spoiled by MASK. He'd hit harder and harder"

Matt looked at her shocked, he had no idea that she had been through so much. He put his arm around her holding her tightly.

She rests her head against him, "They told me if I got that chip for them they'd let me go, otherwise they'd come back for me. I was scared I had to do what ever they told me." She cries, " They trained me day and night. I'd be beaten until I finally got it right."

Her face turns looks to him in terror, " Now they’re going to come get me. I have to get out of here before they find me and finish the job!"

"Shhh, Nobody is going to find you. I promise," Matt rocks her in his arms. "Just tell me where they are?" Matt says softly.

"I ...I don't know. I was knocked out or blindfolded every time I was taken off base, " she replies quietly.

Matt continues to rock her, "can you tell me anything that would help MASK stop VENOM." She ponders for a moment. She couldn't tell him the plan she promised she wouldn't rat on her new family. Her teary eyed face looked at him, "I overheard him talking about needing somebody to put it together…"

Matt agreed with her information. After a few more minutes of crying, Roxanne fell asleep on Matt. He looks down on her, maybe he was wrong about her. No matter what his companions would think he was determine to move her up to the house. Maybe being around Scott and T-bob would cheer her up a bit.

Matt lays her down gently and kisses her cheek, "Tomorrow you'll feel much better." He turns the light off and leaves the room.



Several hours had passed, Roxanne opens her groggy eyes. She felt more tired then usual, she wondered if somebody had drugged her. This time she was in a more cozier room. She lay in the king-sized bed admiring the nicely expensively furnished bedroom. Not even Mayhem himself could afford such luxury as this.

The open window brought in a nice cool summer's breeze. She smiled to the smell of fresh air. She also noticed a set of crutches to the right of her bed.

For a second she wondered how serious Matt was about her being his daughter. She could be spoiled beyond her wildest dreams. Yet she remembered how much she hated her father for not being around.

She had a deep burning rage of hate for him. She blamed her father solely for her mother's death, and strongly believed he was the one who killed her.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, "Come in." Scott stepped in, "I didn't wake you did I?"

"No please come in," a big smile shows on her face. As usual T-Bob followed behind Scott, she wondered if he was Scott's protector.

She was sure Matt had enemies, she was even sure he had a big secret. When she figures out how to access that huge computer of his, she'll find it all out.

Scott sits on the edge of the bed. "I wanted to know why you used me?" Scott looked really distraught.

She figured he must have gotten into serious trouble for giving away that information. She looks down, " I'm sorry Scott, but I personally didn't intend to use you. I was scared and I had to do whatever it took to carry out orders. I thought they were going to kill me if I didn't get that chip. I hope this isn't going to affect our friendship, or should I say relationship… brother?"

Scott boyish eyes gazes onto hers, "No I forgive you, but technically I'm not your brother."

She looked at him, shocked, "I thought you were dad's son."

"I am, it's just I'm adopted," Scott replies.

She raises a brow, "Adopted?"

"Yeah my mother died when I was a baby and well dad and T-bob are all I have," he answered.

The thought that Matt would neglect his own daughter and adopt a son really pushed her buttons. She thinks, "So that's it! I wasn't a boy. Forget about the girl and her mother and go adopt a son. Gee, I think I have the urge to stake them both. What am I thinking? He's not my father otherwise he be a dead man right now!"

"Are you all right?" Scott looks at her worried.

She tries to remove her disgusted face, " Yeah! I'm a bit angry that he just pops into my life after 14 years."

Scott nods, "I understand."

She looks at him with a blank face as she thinks, "Whatever kid, you'd been living like God all your life." She wanted to argue with him and kick him around the room a few times, but she figured what was the point? She knew if she even touched or said anything to him he'd go running to daddy. If she wanted out she was going to have to beat Matt at his own game, even if it meant playing the disguise of little Miss. Goodie-Two-Shoes.

She smirks, " Why don't you give me a tour of my new home?"

Scott says in a joyous voice, "Sure, there is so much to show you." Scott grabs the crutches and hands them to her. He then searches through the closet for a robe.

T-Bob intervenes, "I don't know about this Scott. It's one thing to disobey your dad's orders of disturbing her, but your father said she was too weak to walk.

"A robot with a conscience," she thinks as she laughs about it out loud.

"What so funny?" T-Bob looked at her seriously.

"Relax T-Bob I'm not going to fall down and kick the bucket, if I walk. A walk is just what I need to regain my strength. If I was really that weak, I wouldn't of even let you entered the room in the first place."

"Ok if you say so," T-Bob replies.

Scott hands her a blue silk robe. She puts the robe on. Something about the scent brought back old memories, "Mommy," her lips whisper.

Scott looked at her, " Did you say something?"

She jumped slightly as she turned to look at him, "No! Nothing important, so what do you want to show me first?" She stands up by using the crutches and follows Scott out of the room. T-Bob tags behind him.

She walks beside Scott and talks softly, "Does he always follow you every where?"

"Who? T-Bob." Scott replied, "well yeah."

She looked at him oddly, " Don't you have human friends to hang out with?"

He looks back at T-Bob hoping he didn't hear her remark, "I don't have the chance to make friends. Dad is always traveling and he takes me with him."

"So he's your bodyguard then?" she looks at him, guessing.

Scott laughs, "He couldn't hurt a mouse, but he's not an ordinary robot. He can transform into a cycle and I can always get in touch with my dad."

She adds, "Still it's just another way for you dad to keep an eye on you at all times."

Scott shrugs, "I guess you could say that. It don't matter to me because T-Bob is my friend. Dad spends too much time dealing with issues for the PNA, so he has a lot of enemies."

She looks at him curiously, "What does dad do for the PNA?" She figures it has to be something big, this guy stinkin’ rich.

Scott remembers what his father told him about leaking information, "Well Umm... he.. Oh you have to see this." Scott avoids the question and leads her into a nearby room. "This is the coolest room in the house, the game room,”

Scott acts like a giddy school boy. Roxanne smiled, yet she was unhappy that he didn't answer the question.



Meanwhile at Mask headquarters, agents gather around a huge round table.

Matt speaks, "It has been over a week since VENOM attempted to recover parts to build their laser. Even thought we have stopped them for the moment, VENOM is still going to find a way to continue their plans. Roxanne has told me that VENOM needs somebody to build their laser. Right now the computer is analyzing the data for possible subjects who are capable in building such a weapon."

Just then Brad interrupts, "Speaking of Roxanne, Mayhem's new recruit. Why isn't she locked up?"

Matt replies, "She is not posing a threat to anyone. VENOM hasn't even attempted a rescue mission nor do I believe they will try."

Brad continues, "What are you basing this hunch on? Her acting ability, the skills she used to break into your office, the way she jumped out that window, and crashed Gator. There is no way anyone that determined would be a victim in all this. For all you know she could be dialing an invite to Mayhem right this minute."

Matt tries to calm Brad down, without losing his own nerves, "I assure you Brad, I have T-Bob keeping a close eye on her, plus she wouldn't get far in her medical condition."

Brad starts to crack up, "T-Bob? We’re talking about the same robot who's supposed to watch your son Matt. I'm sure the rest of you will agree with me when I say Scott has repeatedly interfered with our missions, and somehow always ends up in the middle of the battle. If Mayhem had the brains to put two and two together he'd trace that robot back to you."

Matt grows angry, "What do you want me to do, leave her in that room and ignore her and let her health deteriorate? I'm not going to turn her over to the authorities."

Brad argues back, "Why not? That kid is smart enough to figure a away out. After all she nearly escaped us twice in one night."

Matt stood up and pounded his fist against the table. "I'm not about to turn my own daughter in."

Everyone's eyes fell on Matt. Matt rarely kept secrets from the group, but this was unbelievable.

Brad continues, "Your daughter? What took you so long to tell us Matt?"

Alex speaks up hoping to ease the tension, "He didn't know Brad."

Brad crosses his arms, "Still if he barely knows this girl, why is he letting her walk around freely, she's a threat to every MASK agent in this room including his son."

Matt eyes stared at Brad, "You want to talk about threats? What about you and Vanessa? I'm not stupid Brad, I've seen you flirting with the enemy. How much information did you give her?"

Brad and Matt were just about ready to grab each other's throats.

Bruce steps in, " This is no the time to discuses personal differences. Both have relevant arguments, but we must focus on the facts. Continue with what you were going to tell us.”

The computer spits out a sheet of paper with 3 names.

“These names are possible people VENOM will be after. Professor Michael, Mr. Ken Reskoff, and Mr. Barry Wong. There is no telling who or even when VENOM is going to strike. So were going to have to keep a close watch on each of them.

Brad and Buddy will watch Professor Michael. Gloria and Dusty you take Mr. Reskoff, and Alex and Bruce will handle Mr. Wong. Meanwhile, me and Hondo are going to beef up security around that chip and continue the search for Mayhem's hideout. I wish you all good luck, dismissed.”



Two weeks later at Harvard University. A man in a plain brown suit in his late fifties lectures in an auditorium filled with hundreds of students. Most of these students were fascinated with his explanation on how physics is involved in the production of a laser. A few others were either asleep or chatting in a soft tone to their neighbor.

Brad and Buddy sat in the very back of the auditorium. Brad whispers to Buddy, " I can't take another week of this, either we see some action or I'm dropping this class."

Buddy crosses his arms, " Gee if only it were that simple. Nobody said this stake out job was going to be fun."

"I wonder if this is Matt's way of telling me I should go back to school and give up on my music career," Brad removes his shades and rubs his eyes.

"Brad you know very well that Matt couldn’t care less about what you do for a living, as long as, you put MASK first. It's surprising that any of you guys still have a job, considering were on 24 hour alert. I know this is boring. I never cared much for school either. But look on the bright side you might learn something and be inspired to write a song about physics and dedicate it to the dear professor."

Brad smirks," You're not making fun of my music are you?"

Buddy chuckles," Lighten up."

The professor looked out into the crowd," Remember the chapter test is next Tuesday, I recommend that everyone should get an early start re-looking over their notes. Class dismissed."

The professor started to pack his belongings into his suitcase. Just then a woman in a nice gray business suit, long brown hair, and glasses approaches the professor.

She speaks up attempting to disguise her actual voice, "I have to say Professor Michael. That was one of your best lectures yet."

He looks at the attractive young woman, " Why thank you, Miss...?"

She smiles, "Oh where are my manners? Miss Halanski. I was wondering if we could further discuss you presentation. I know now is a bad time, but I'd be willing to arrange an appointment to meet with you later."

The professor smiled, "Well I could see you after my last class. How about we meet in my office at 5pm?"

She nods, "That works for me, thanks a lot this means the world to me." Buddy and Brad walk down the flight of stairs in the auditorium towards the professor. Just as Brad was walking down he accidentally bumps into the young woman, "Sorry."

She glances at him for a second and continues on her way out.

Brad stood there in deep thought, "Those eyes… I know them." He could never forget a pretty face. He continues down and meets Buddy at the bottom.

Buddy leans on the desk, "Real powerful lecture Professor Michael." He smirks, " I'm sure that conversation you two were having was much more riveting."

Buddy replied, "Ouch!"

The professor looks at both of them as he speaks in a frustrated voice, " Gentlemen, I'm going to have to request that the PNA needs to stop this ridiculous baby-sitting job.. I have an important schedule to keep and I don't need you watching my every move. The idea that...that loony Mayhem would kidnap me is preposterous. There is no point in putting something together that is missing parts."

Brad interrupts, "We’re doing this to protect you and were following orders. So unless the PNA tells us to were not moving an inch."

The professor speaks in anger, " I don't care what your boss or the PNA told you- it's over. Now leave me be."

The professor walks out. Buddy attempts to go after him, but Brad stops him, "Let him be for awhile, just watch him from an unnoticeable distance.

Buddy nodded, "Where are you going?" Brad thinks for a moment before replying, "I'm going to check something out. I'll catch up with you later."

Both men headed out in opposite directions. Brad walked out of the building. He looked around for a trace of that woman's whereabouts.

He walks down several walkways on campus hoping to find some trace of her. He then looks up and sees her waiting against a building. As soon as she notices him she steps back into the shadows of the building. Brad hurries towards her hoping not to lose her.

She stands there waiting, "I thought I saw you picking your nose up there, you finally figured it out."

Brad smiles, "Of course, I never forget a pretty face, interesting new look for you I have to say. I hope you are trying out a new option for a career choice, Vanessa."

She laughs, "Oh come now you know why I'm here, but I'm glad they sent you to deal with me."

Brad moves closer, "Really, well this time I'm not going to let you get away."

She laughs again, "Oh and you think you can stop me?" Brad voice grows serious, "I have no choice you've gone too far."

She moves closer to him, "What your employers found out didn't they? Your scared to let your feelings for me interfere with your job. No matter it's far too late for you or any of your MASK agents to do anything. It's almost 5 o'clock and VENOM will be one step closer to MASK destruction. I would hate to see you die. Please join us," She offers her hand.

He pushes her hand away

"You'd like that wouldn't you? No more hiding from the boss.”

“I can't do that, it's wrong. It stands against everything I joined up the MASK for."

Vanessa looked down, "Somehow I knew you'd say that. Tell me Brad, how is Roxanne doing? I've been worried about her." Brad raises a brow as he thinks, "Why would she be concerned about Roxanne? Wasn't she neglected?"

Brad looks at Vanessa, "She getting better everyday from what I hear."

She smiles, "That is good news." She moves closer to him, "Brad." She wraps her arms around him, "I will miss you." Brad looks down," I will miss you too." Her lips lock with his in a passionate kiss.

She breaks away and steps back watching him. Brad starts to speak, "Vanessa I..." Brad shakes his head as he feels dizzy. Brad falls to his knees, "What is going on?"

Vanessa looked down on him, "Do you like my new shade of lipstick. I wore it especially for this occasion. I told you that there was nothing you can do. In a few days the poison will wear off. I hope you'll come to your senses an join us, I would hate to have to kill you my sweet."

Brad falls on the ground, knocked out. Vanessa takes a deep breath to let out her disappointment, "Excuse me but I have an appointment to keep." She steps over Brad and heads towards the Professor Michael's office.

She signals near by towards her comrades, before she steps into the building. She knocks on the door.

Professor Michael sits at his desk, "Come in." She walks in and takes a seat and crosses her legs.

He leans forward on his desk, "So what did you want to discuss with me." She smiles, "Well me and my friends are conducting a rather large experiment. We wanted your advice. Oh well, actually we want you to do the job for us."

He adjust his glasses, "I don't get what you mean ma'am." She pulls her wig off and pulls out a gun with a silencer " I mean you’re going on a little trip."

She fires the gun at him. A dart hits him in the arm and instantly he passes out. Vanessa pulls out her radio from her purse.

She sits on the desk, "He's down Rax, come pick him up in 10." She walks out of the room as if nothing happened.

Buddy sits down the hall watching curiously. About 10 minutes later, Rax, disguised as a janitor walks into his office with a huge cart.

Rax hurries up to put the professors unconscious body into the basket and cover him with dirty rags.

He then says to draw away suspicion, "Sorry to have disturb you sir."

Vanessa waited by the car, "What took you so long?"

"There was a guy watching I had to be careful," Rax tried to put the old man in the back of the car. Rax attempts to lift him," Are you going to help me? He's not exactly light as a feather."

Vanessa helps him put him in the trunk of the car. Rax slams is shut, "Where were you?"

Vanessa hops into the car, "Taking care of unfinished business. Now drive away before anybody notices."



Buddy glances at his watch it was 7pm. Usually the professor would go home by now and where the heck was Brad? He hopes he didn't decide to go to a bar.

Buddy walks up to his office and taps on the door, "Professor Michael?" No response was given.

Buddy opens the door and looks around.

Nobody was in the room.

"Shit."


Buddy runs out of the room and heads towards the phone. He calls Matt in haste, “Matt we have a big problem. Professor Michael is gone and Brad is nowhere in sight."

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge