Blood and Water
Chapter 13
By Lisa Leonard

 

Roxanne laid peacefully in her bed. It had been three days since VENOM's latest defeat, and she never set foot outside her room. After being exposed to the gases of the laser, she used quarantine as an excuse to stay out of site. Yet she knew very well that Nash was walking about in good health, and he was exposed just as much as she was. It was only a matter of time before somebody forced her out of her room. Her sick routine was worthless and she was pretty much running out of ideas. Deep inside she felt that everybody already knew her secret. Of course, if they knew she was a traitor, why haven't they come forward yet? Her primary focus was to figure a way out of VENOM's headquarters. She had no transportation and surveillance was extremely tight. She figured she could make it 2 miles up the road max, before she got caught. Just then a knock on the door alerted her sense. She gulped, "Come in." As she watch the door open she hope silently they weren't coming for her.

Rax opened the door and leans on it, "Hey kiddo we have a meeting."

She turns her head to look at him and says in a not so thrilled voice, "I'm sick tell me what happens later." She pulls the covers over her head.

Rax walks over to her and pulls the covers off, "Do I have to physically carry you up there? Stop mopping about what happen. Now get dress and be up there in five minutes. You know how impatient Mayhem is, the last thing you want him to think is you're a traitor."

She sits up and looks at him nervously, "Why did you say that?"

Rax says walking out the door, "Just an expression, now get a move on. We don't have all day."

Roxanne got dress and made her way towards Mayhem's office. She stood outside of it hesitating to enter. Roxanne slowly turned the knob and entered the office. All of Mayhem VENOM agents were present. She crossed her arms and stepped further into the room. She felt like all eyes were upon her staring at her forehead, which was marked in bold black letters 'guilty'. The office felt a bit cramp with everyone in it and the heat was rising fast. Bruno slams the door shut and she could feel her nerves jumping. Rax offered her his seat, yet she refused. She wonders, "Why is he being so nice, something has to be up. I don't like the looks of this."

Mayhem turned around in his chair and looked at his team, "We had MASK in our grasp, yet you all seem to find a way to foul up every mission I plan." Everyone had an ugly look on their face, feeling it was just as much his fault as it was theirs. Mayhem continues, " It makes me wonder if I should take up Contra World's offer for better train replacements. But it's been brought to my attention we have a traitor among our ranks. And we all know what happens to traitors." Roxanne bit her lip. Mayhem looked at Roxanne, but then shift his view to Vanessa, "Vanessa what do you know about this?"

Vanessa was a bit shock that he even called on her, "Nothing. I've been by your side through most the planning."

Mayhem looked at her as though he was accusing her of his down fall, " I know you have, but it's your fault you can't cover your informer's tracks."

Vanessa laugh, "You think Brad sabotage this mission. I really don't think that's even remotely possible."

Nash says trying to back Mayhem up, "He interfered with our first battle by screwing up my perfect shot. Plus he was the last person with my computer, which is now missing parts."

Vanessa says with sarcasm, "Oh were all so heart broken over your stupid computer. Plus I'm not totally convinced it was Brad fault during the first battle. I think you need to get stronger prescription glasses."

Dagger says in Vanessa's face, "You know he's always snooping around so much. I bet he's the one who stole the key from my pocket. He had a habit of starting fights."

Vanessa shook her head, "Isn't it kind of the other way around, because from the way I perceived it? When Brad was with in 2 feet of you, your fist was in his face. So that doesn't prove anything."

Rax jumped on the conversation as well, "Anyways who's to say he didn't free the professor. You don't know exactly where he was when the professor was set free."

Vanessa stands up angry, "Neither do you Rax, because you were suppose to be guarding the professor. Besides Brad was with us when we discovered the professor missing."

Rax shouts, "Well of course he could have, he had you as an accomplish."

Vanessa looks to Mayhem with disbelief, "You don't seriously believe this garbage? I've been you second in command since the beginning. How can you not trust me after all these years?"

Mayhem walks around the desk and looks her right in the eye, "It's been brought to my attention that you've been taking jobs on the side. How much were you paid to screw up my operations?"

Vanessa looked just as angry, "First off, I can't help it if I have a better reputation to getting the job done, then the rest of those morons who work for you. Second if I did take such a job, I wouldn't be here letting you breath fire down my throat."

Roxanne sat there quietly as she eyed Rax, Nash, and Dagger. It was obvious what was going on. The three of them teamed up to get rid of Vanessa and planting her as the saboteur was the perfect opportunity. Even if their plan worked out, they'd have complete leverage over her, which meant more trouble. She couldn't let this happen, she respected Vanessa and felt she owed her something in return. Why should she take the fall for her job? Bruno and Dagger were about to put Vanessa in a lock down, until Roxanne spoke up with her snotty attitude, "Please, you can't really think Vanessa would jeopardize her entire career like that?"

Mayhem turns to look at her, "What do you know about this?"

She says in a tuff voice. " A lot more then you do, since your blind about everything that goes on behind your back old man."

Mayhem expression was like a ragging bull, "It was you!"

She smiles slyly, "Who else could of pulled off such an escapade?"

Mayhem lunged at her slamming her up against the wall. Both his hands were wrap tightly around her neck. Roxanne's hands try to pull his away, as she gasps for air. Mayhem says trying to strangle her to death with his strong hands, "I've had it with you! You've been trouble since day one. Now you're going to pay for wasting my time!" Even though Rax already knew Roxanne was the traitor, he couldn't let Mayhem kill her. He had grown to enjoy the company of the girl and felt she didn't deserve this. Rax attempted to pull Mayhem away from her. Of course Mayhem was more powerful then he perceived for his age. Dagger stepped in as well sharing his friend concern and placed a hand on Mayhem shoulder, forcing him away from her. Roxanne slumps to the ground rubbing her red neck. Mayhem shouts while being held back, "Where's my microchip?"

She says in a sore voice, "I don't know what you're talking about. It was barbequed in the fire."

Mayhem orders, "Floyd, Nash, tear her room apart. Bruno lock her in a holding cell, with a guard!" Bruno forces her off the ground and pushes her out of Mayhem's office. Roxanne exchanged a glance with Vanessa, then stumbles off towards her holding cell. Mayhem said furious pushing Dagger and Rax off him, "If you two do that again, you'll join her!"

Roxanne sat on the bench in her cell. She knew she was in trouble, deep trouble. The room had plain gray walls with only a metal door that had an opening for a guard to look thru. She stood on her toes to look through the opening. Bruno was standing next to the door. Roxanne asks, "Hey Bruno can you do me a huge favor?" Bruno stood there quietly ignoring her. She continues hoping to soften him up, "I know we've never been the best of friends, but is there any chance you could find it in your heart to pretend I somehow escaped?"

Bruno laugh, "Oh that's the best one I've heard out of ya yet." Roxanne steps back and crosses her arms, as Bruno looks through the opening. Bruno says in a harsh tone, "Listen little lady. You do the crime you pay with your life. This isn't a game where you can quit when you get scared. You have no idea who you're messing with."

Roxanne said frustrated, "Why don't you lecture me?"

Bruno went ahead and did that, "You're messing with us, Mayhem, and Contra World. And believe me treason is punishable by death."

She says hopelessly, "So that's it everybody going to throw me at the firing squad. I'll pay you, my daddy rich."

Bruno turns around, "Nothing you can offer is worth joining you in the firing squad. Speaking of the devil, here comes your executioner." Roxanne could hear Mayhem's feet like thunder up the hallway. She stood there nervously trying not to shake with fear.

Vanessa came up the hallway behind him, "Mayhem."

He stops and turns to look at her, "What do you want, can't you see I'm busy." Vanessa crossed her arms, "I know what you're going to do. She's only a child." Mayhem snorted, "A child doesn't blow up a 5 million dollar operation. I have Contra World's approval on this, so I intend you to understand." Mayhem continues to walk towards Roxanne's cell.

Vanessa's face turned ugly, "There must be some other way to punish her, your signing her death warrant by handing her over to Contra World."

Mayhem laughs," Unlike you I could careless about that miserable little brat. If I had the first say in her future I'd shoot her in the head, to relieve my own head ache. Contra World seems to think she is some sort of valuable asset for the future. Now I'm not going to discuss this anymore. She leaves first thing tomorrow morning." Mayhem stops in front of Bruno, "Take off Bruno, I'm taking over."

Bruno raised a brow, thinking it was strange for Mayhem to release him, "Why?"

Mayhem orders a bit paranoid, "I have business to discuss with the traitor that doesn't concern you."

Bruno shrugs and takes off, "Just curious, boss."

Vanessa narrowed her eyes as she watches Mayhem enter Roxanne's cell. She thinks of a mischief plan, "Well see about that, two can play at this game." She turned around and walked down the hallway towards the elevator.

Mayhem stepped into the cell, meanwhile Roxanne stood there watching the angry expression on Mayhem's face. His teeth gritted evilly, and Roxanne felt scarred. Mayhem spoke in a calm tone, "Roxanne it seems you've outdone yourself in your latest act of vandalism. You'll be relieved to know Contra World is being generous enough to spare your pathetic life, in exchange for future services."

Roxanne protest, "And if I refuse?"

Mayhem smiled, "Well an execution can be arranged." She fell silent. Mayhem continues, "Tomorrow you'll be handed over to Contra World soldiers, so we'll never have to see each other ever again." Mayhem adds, "Of course, I wouldn't want you to go without something to remember me by." Mayhem leaves the room for a moment and returns carrying a long black leather whip. "Roxanne eyes widen as she saw him crack the whip with an evil grin. Mayhem smiles, "You know your mother had the same expression on her face the last time I saw her." He laughs darkly as he cracks the whip inches from her feet. She moved back until she hit the wall, her entire body was trembling with terror.

Meanwhile Vanessa reached the elevator and the doors were just about to close. She shouts, "Bruno hold that." Of course like a gentleman he was, he ignored her request, "Get the next one." She huffed a bit and slammed her fist again the elevator door as he took off, "Jerk." She crossed her arms thinking about all the work she was going to have to do, to pull her plan off. The elevator finally returned and she entered. Just as she was going to press the 10th floor on the elevator, she hears Roxanne scream in agony. Vanessa couldn't believe what she was hearing, what could he possible be doing to her to make her scream in such a horrific manor. She opens the elevator door and runs down the hallway.

The crying mixed with screaming became louder every corner she turned. She rushed through the open door to Roxanne's cell. Roxanne stayed huddle in the corner her back facing Mayhem. The back of her shirt already had 3 slashes and was stained with blood. Mayhem had the whip ready to strike again. Before Mayhem could do that, Vanessa grabbed the end of it in mid-air and yanked it out of Mayhem's hand.

Mayhem turned around confused, "What in the blue blazes?"

Vanessa spoke outraged as she held the whipped all bundled up in her hand firmly, "Are you crazy? You're going to kill her with this!"

Mayhem demanding to have the whip back, " She needs proper disciplines. She seems to of forgotten where her loyalties lie. I've done this before Vanessa; with out killing anyone, so don't worry about it. A few lashes will put her back on track."

Vanessa approaches Roxanne who was shaking violently from the sever pain. She turns to Mayhem, "She's not one of your POWs (Prisoners of War) from back in your Vietnam days. For crying out loud she's not even an adult, her body can't withstand that much force."

Mayhem grunt in amusement, "Go ahead Vanessa mother her to death, like you always do. For your information, I know more about how much pain a human being can take then you do." He walks out of the cell mumbling under his breath.

Vanessa kneels down next to Roxanne, "He's gone." She continues to stay huddle in the corner afraid to move. Vanessa said in a concern voice, "Can you move?" Roxanne continued to remain silent. Vanessa threw the whip to the opposite side of the room and reached out for Roxanne face. She turned it towards her. Roxanne eye expressed true terror and tears were falling nonstop. Vanessa tried to wipe her tears, "Ah Hun I wish I would of gotten here sooner."

She says in a shaky voice hating herself, "Finish it!"

Vanessa looked at her feeling that she had miss something, "Why would I do such a thing?"

She replies, "I don't deserve to live for everything I've done. I've hurt everyone I love. This is the only way to put it right."

Vanessa brushed a few strands of hair from her eyes, "Getting whipped to death isn't going to fix anything. The only thing it's going to do is hurt the ones you love more."

Roxanne looked down in guilt, "I never..."

Vanessa put her hands under her underarms, "It's ok. Now let's get you off the floor." Roxanne was very weak and her legs were trembling as Vanessa did most the work to pull her off the ground. Roxanne leaned on Vanessa as she stood up. Vanessa put Roxanne arm around her neck so she could walk with her, "Anything broken?"

Roxanne said grunting slightly, "Everything."

Vanessa moved her to another room on the floor, which had a cot for her to lie on. Roxanne laid down on her stomach, yet no matter what position she was in, the pain just wouldn't go away. Vanessa apologized, "I'd let you rest in your room, but the guys sort of tore the place apart."

Roxanne said not really caring since her mind was elsewhere, "It's alright."

Vanessa nodded, "I'll go see what I can find in the first aid kit. You try to relax."

The door was unlocked and opened slowly at around 2 am. Roxanne eyes were wide open and tired. It was too hard to sleep especially with your back feeling like it's being stabbed. Vanessa had kept her company for few hours during the day, but she had other duties to attend too. Roxanne felt a bit relieved the Vanessa kept the key to the room. Vanessa walked in asking, "How are you holding up?"

Roxanne said quietly, "Pain...in a lot of pain."

Vanessa acknowledge, "I know give it 48 hours and the pain won't be that bad. I need you to get up again."

Roxanne mumbled to her, "Their here to take me away aren't they? Forget it just...just tell Mayhem to kill me. I can't take any more of this."

Vanessa said in a serious tone, "Now you listen to me. Your lucky you only got a few lashes on your back. I've been in situations where I've received worst. You need to hang in there, because that's what they want you to do cave in and cower before them. Never give up hope. Your very strong like I was at your age, else you wouldn't have done what you did. I'm going to give you the second chance I never had, before I got myself mixed up in this mess. So what do you say we get you out of this joint?"

Roxanne looked up to her, "It hurts to move, but I'll do my best to keep quiet. Can you give me a hand?" Vanessa helps her off her stomach. Roxanne grunted in pain, her entire body was shaking and she tried hard to hold back her tears.

Vanessa says to her, "We don't have far to walk, once we get to the garage you'll have your ride home."

Roxanne asks, "Cameras...Mayhem?"

Vanessa replied, "Don't worry about it, the camera's are shut off, and this little escape is a team effort. Mayhem wouldn't dare tell anyone what's about to go down tonight. It would be an embarrassment on his record." Both Roxanne and Vanessa headed down the hallway towards the elevator. Roxanne couldn't help but wonder what she meant by a team effort.

When they reached the garage Rax was waiting in Piranha. Vanessa walks over to Manta and digs threw her trunk for a blanket. Roxanne looked at Rax, "What are you doing here?"

Rax said in a not so happy tone, "She's black mailing the 3 of us for trying to get her kicked out. She already gave Nash a nice mark on the face. Anyways if you would of kept your trap shut, the plan would of worked out great."

Roxanne smirked, "Well my conscious got the best of me and I don't expect my friends to take credit for my work."

Vanessa puts the blanket around her. Rax then gives Roxanne a hand as she steps into Piranha's sidecar. She looks to Vanessa, "Thanks."

Vanessa smiled, "Your welcome, I don't expect to see you again anytime soon."

Roxanne slightly wish the same, yet as long as her father was in MASK she will always have a connection to VENOM. She says with an honest face, "I'll try my best to stay as far away as possible, but I will miss you guys."

Rax said yawning, "This is all very touching, but we got to get going." The two said their final good-byes and Piranha was gone.

Piranha stopped in front of the gate to Matt Trakker's mansion just after sun set. The rain was beginning to pour down hard and Rax was getting quit agitated. Rax turned to her, "Ok kiddo end of the line." Rax was starting to get soak, he pressed a button to remove the cover over the passenger sidecar. Despite the long drive she couldn't fall asleep. Her back kept her awake throughout the entire ride. Rax gives her a hand as she steps out of Piranha, "Anyways good luck Roxy. I'm going to find some place dry. Catch ya later." She waves to Rax as he drives off. She wraps the blanket tighter around her body, in hope to keep the rain off her back, and began her journey up the driveway.

By the time she reached the porch of the mansion, she looked just as soak as Rax did when he left. She stood in front of the door practicing what to say or do in her mind, "If I don't get this over with, I might as well pass out on the porch. My back is killing me." She slipped off her right shoe and painfully bent down to pick it up. She stuck her hand in her shoe and pulled out a wade of cotton and a microchip, "Walking with his thing isn't any better." She drops her shoe on the ground and slides her foot back into it. Her hand clenched the chip, while her other hand reached for the doorbell.

Matt was in his study helping Scott with his homework. T-bob said as he heard the doorbell, "I'll get it." He opens the door and glances at Roxanne. He then slammed the door shut and rushed back into the study, "Somebody save me, she's going to reprogram me!"

Scott said shaking his head, "T-bob your not making any sense. Who is it?"

T-bob said with a jitter in his voice, "Roxanne."

Matt stood up and left the room heading straight for the door. Scott was going to follow as well. Matt turned to him before opening the door, "Give me a couple minutes." Scott reluctantly nodded and went back to doing his homework.

Matt opened the door and looked at Roxanne. She was dripping wet and look very exhausted. She didn't dare look up at him. Roxanne was full of guilt and shame, and to look at his eyes were a constant reminder of what a failure she had become. She reached out for his hand and placed the chip into it. She says in a soft tired voice, "I'm sorry." She turned around and walked back into the rain.

Matt looked down at his hand to glance at the chip. He then slipped the chip inside of his pocket and stepped outside to head after her, "Roxanne, wait!"

She continued to walk as if she hadn't heard him call her name. He walks out to her and puts a hand on her shoulder. She grunted softly and turned to look at him, "What else could you possible want? I gave you back what I've stolen."

Matt tilts her head to look at him, "I want my daughter back."

She smirks, "I wasn't really much of a daughter to begin with."

Matt said with a smile, "We can work on that. Why don't you come inside? I'll get you some clean clothes and you can warm up, then we can talk."

Roxanne didn't know what to say. Tears fell down her face, "I don't deserve this, not after everything I did to you, Scott and your teammates."

Matt answers, "We need to restart over somewhere." She started to break down and cry. She was physically and emotionally exhausted and for the first time in months she could let her guard down. Matt moved closer and wraps his arms around her, to give her a hug. She screeched out in agony as he hugged her. He let go, "What's wrong?"

She sort of slides around the truth, "My back sore from the drive, that's all."

Matt nods, "Ok then let's go inside."

Roxanne and Matt enter the mansion. Matt says, "I'll go find you some clean clothes." He takes off and Roxanne walked over towards the mirror in the hallway. She glanced about; hoping no one else was around. She pulled back the blanket, to get a first glance at her back. She didn't like the reflection she saw in the mirror and it only caused more tears to fall down her face. Scott came out of the study and smiled as he saw Roxanne, but as he moved closer he could see the slash marks on her back. He said in a worried tone, "Roxanne what happen to you back?"

She quickly covered it up with the blanket, "It's really nothing. It doesn't even hurt." She wipes the tears from her face.

Scott looked at her suspiciously, "That looked pretty bad to me."

Matt returns with a pair of sweats. He hands them to Roxanne and she takes off towards her room with haste. Matt then glances at Scott, "What's troubling you? I though you were happy to have your sister back."

Scott replies, "I am, it's just she's having problems with her back. I'm worried that's all."

Matt says patting him on the shoulder, "She told me it was sore from the long drive."

Scott shook his head, "Dad that didn't look even close to it."

Matt face took a turn for the worst. He marched up towards Roxanne's bedroom and knocked on the door.

She opens it up in her sweats, "Hey dad, I was just going to see you. I was hoping maybe we could hold off our talk until the morning. I'm really tired."

Matt says, "Sure thing after you let me look at your back."

She looks at him knowing there was no way around it, "It's really not that bad." She turns around and let's him lift the back of her shirt up. Her back had some open flesh wounds and was colored purple and blue. Matt ran his hand over her back and she grunted in pain. She asks, "Please don't do that."

He says with anger, "Why did you lie to me? Who did this?"

She turns to face him, "I think it's kind of obvious who did this to me, and I know I deserved every minute of it."

Matt tired to control his anger, just like Mayhem he figured to let his frustrations out on a child. Matt replies, "Nobody deserves to be beaten like this. You and me are going to have a nice long discussion about lying. You're seriously injured Roxanne. I don't see how you even expect to get any sleep tonight. I'm going to call my friend Julio over to check you out."

Julio exited Roxanne room taking off his surgical gloves. He came down the stairs and into the living room where Matt waited in an armchair. Matt broke his chain of thoughts as he saw Julio approached. Julio sat down across from him, "She's sleeping."

Matt asks, "How did it look?"

Julio rubbed his eyes, "Just as bad as you said it was over the phone. The painkillers are helping her sleep and she has a bit of a temperature. I expect that to die down by the morning. I took care of the infection, but she's going to be scared for life. The best I can do is give you a number of a friend of mine, who is an excellent plastic surgeon. It won't be gone permanently, but it won't look that bad when he's done." Julio looked at Matt who was rather frustrated, "What's going through your head?"

Matt says wanted revenge, "How I'd like to rip out Mayhem's heart, if he had one."

Julio asked, "And what are you going to do about her?"

Matt stood up and walked over to the fireplace, and put more wood in it, "I'm going to wait a couple days for her to get better, then I'm calling the PNA. It's too dangerous for her to stay here right now. This is the first obvious place they'll look for her." Julio stands up, "You're doing the right thing Matt. I'll be back in the morning to check up on her."

Roxanne continued to lay in bed throughout the next day. Julio ordered her to take it easy and rest for a couple of days. She joked to herself, "Maybe I should take up sleeping as a new hobby." Just then there was a knock on the door. "Come in," she replied.

Brad Turner stepped in wearing jeans, a nice white shirt, and his usual shades. Brad smiled as he saw her, "Hey you're not looking so great."

She smirked slightly, "Well your not exactly god's gift to women."

Brad laughs slightly, "Most women would disagree with that." Brad removed his shades and put them in his shirt pocket, then he pull out some flowers he was hiding behind his back, "These are for you."

She takes them smiling as she smells the flowers, "What this for?"

He sits on the bed, "Ah well you know a thank you for helping me out, and also a get well present."

She looks to him, "So you've heard."

Brad said, "At this point everyone knows. Why didn't you come with me? None of this would of happened."

She looks down, "I kind of wished I would of taken you up on that offer."

Brad asks feeling a bit responsible for leaving her there, "If you hadn't lied about an escape plan, we could of done something different. I might have been able to come back to get you."

She replies feeling guilty, "I'm sorry it just seem the right thing to do at the time. Once I start lying it's hard to stop, and look where the truth got me."

Brad holds her hand, "Cheer up. I guess were both to blame for this one way or another. Now that your home everything should only get better from this point on." Roxanne smiled, as she felt a bit better about herself.

Five days later Inaya Vendun a.k.a Ivy Green showed up at Matt Trakker's mansion. She and Matt walk down the hall towards his office. Inaya asked, "Is it true what I've heard?"

Matt nodded, "Yes Roxanne came home."

She smiles, "Oh I knew that. I was referring more to following policy and notifying the PNA."

Both of them entered his office and Matt said, "Don't get so full of yourself."

Inaya couldn't help but giggle slightly. Now that VENOM was less of a threat the tension between her and Matt die down quite a bit. Even if she still had issues to settle with him. Inaya added to tease him slightly, "Now that my promotion is going through, I really didn't expect us to see each other again."

Matt sat down behind his desk, "I know congratulations on your promotion. You kind of have me to thank for that Inaya Vendun."

She was surprise, "How long have you known? I mean I thought I took care of everything to cover my tracks."

Matt says with a sly smile on his face, "Oh you did an excellent job covering your tracks. And I admit you had me puzzled for sometime now. But when I got reinstated as the leader of MASK, the first thing I ask Duane was who my mysterious co-worker was. He told me you had an interest of having your own team. I figure by convincing him your ready you'd be off my back. So now that you have your own team, I won't have to hear you bicker about my decisions."

Inaya was still a bit shock, "I don't know what to say, besides the fact I'm appalled by the fact you wanted to get rid of me. But we never did hit it off on the right foot to begin with. Thank you Matt that means a lot to me."

Matt smiles, "Your welcome, you do deserve it Major. Anyways that's not the reason why I request to see you. I have a favor to ask you before you head off on your new assignment. I'm going to have Roxanne taken to a safe house, where she can receive treatment. I would feel much better, if you were the one escorting her there."

Inaya asked curious, "Your not worried she's going to pull a fast one are you?"

Matt said not to happy with this decision, "Yes and No. I haven't exactly told her yet, so I have a gut feeling she's not going to react to the news well. The thing is she's made some enemies after blowing up Contra World's big operation. I just feel a lot better with someone like you who is smart and physically capable of protecting herself to handle to job."

Inaya smiled, "Now I do feel honored and might take ya up on the request. Sure Matt I'll do it."

Matt reaches out to shake her hand, "Thank you. She'll be leaving next week. I'll have the info fax to your office."

Roxanne was running on the treadmill. She kept increasing the speed after every mile. Matt stood there in the doorway watching her. She looked tired and her legs were about to cave in, yet she kept pushing herself to the limit. He approached her, "Hey your suppose to be taking it easy." She looks at him confused all she could hear was the treadmill running and her feet pounding hard against it. Matt lowered the speed on it, and then turned the machine off. She grab strongly onto the treadmill waiting for the dizziness to pass by.

She breathes heavily, "What did you do that for?"

Matt hands her a water bottle, "What part of taking it easy don't you understand?"

She questions him, "What's wrong with getting in shape?"

He answer, "Nothing when your healthy and at full strength. This morning you couldn't get out of bed, now your running a marathon."

She winces as she stands up straight from her slouching position, "Well pain is a good motivator. It strives a person to do better, even if it kills them. If I don't get my strength back I'll never be ready for Contra World when they come."

Matt said, " Roxanne doing this is only going to make it hurt worst. Plus you don't need to worry about Contra World. I won't let them near you."

She says with disbelief, "What you're going to baby-sit me 24/7? Dad no offense, but your no superman. I can't go or do anything with out wondering if Contra World is over my shoulder watching me. And If I'm not ready I'm good as dead."

Matt said agreeing with her, "Your right. That's why your going to a nice little place to disappear for while."

She glares at him, "You're putting me into the witness protection program?"

Matt reassures her, "It's a safe house for PNA affiliates."

She says in an angry tone, "I just got here and you're already trying to get rid of me." She storms out of the room upset.

Matt grabs her arm as she attempts to leave, "Would you rather have the alternative? Right now you could be sitting in a prison for your crimes. Yes I said crimes. You didn't think joining VENOM was going to get you in trouble with the law, did you? I told the PNA that you were brainwash and considering your very young they bought it. Now if putting you in Prison is the only way for me to be reassure that you're alive and well, I'll do it. I know I can't undo the past. I love you very much Roxanne and I don't want anything else to happen to you."

She looks down uncertain as to what to say, "But I just got you in my life, I don't want to lose you. I don't want to be alone again."

Matt said trying to comfort her, " Your not alone anymore. I'm going to keep in touch with you."

She says not believing you, "That's what they all say."

He runs his hand over her face, "It's only going to be for a couple months. I promise to call you ever couple days to check up on you. As much as you're afraid of losing me, I'm more afraid of losing you. Please do this for me Roxanne; I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't think I could forgive myself if it did."

She walks over towards the window and looks out. Roxanne was confused about Matt's offer. Of course she didn't have much of a choice: safe house or prison. Maybe this is what she needs time away to reflect on everything, with out worrying about snipers or kidnappers. She says refusing to look at him, "I'll go." Matt attempts to approach her, but she adds, "I want to be alone for awhile." Matt nodded and walked out of the room.

Roxanne gathered her bags together. She could hear Inaya honking the horn outside for her to hurry up. Scott walked in her room, "You need a hand?"

She says not wanting any help, "No I can take it."

Scott orders T-bob who was waiting out in the hall, "T-bob grab her bags."

T-bob didn't object, "Anything to get rid..."

Scott glared and interrupted the robot, "T-bob shut your metal trap."

Roxanne looked at him angry, "What part of I don't need help did you not hear? I especially don't need that trash can throwing my stuff all over the place." Roxanne had been in a sour mood, since her father mentioned she'd be going away so soon. It hurt her deep inside, and she just didn't know how to react.

Scott said apologizing, "I figured you'd needed help. You can't carry 3 bags by yourself, especially with your back..."

She says attempting to pick up all 3 bags, "I'm not a cripple Scott. I don't need your help." Of course, she made it as far as her bedroom door before she dropped 2 bags. She said with a mumble, "Can you please carry my bags out." Scott smiled and him and T-bob took her luggage outside.

Once outside Inaya and Matt were having a discussion. Meanwhile Scott and T-bob were loading up the car. Matt walked over towards Roxanne, "Roxanne don't worry it will be over before you know it. I'll call you first thing tomorrow morning to find out how everything is."

She said in a not so trilled tone, "Whatever." She walked towards Inaya car and hops in not even bothering to say good-bye.

Matt watched her disappointed. Inaya patted his arm, "Don't worry she'll be alright."

Inaya hops into the driver seat and looks at Roxanne. She was already staring off into oblivion with a depressing face. Inaya looked to her, "I know you're angry, but blaming him isn't going to help."

Roxanne says, "What do you know?"

Inaya replies, "I use fight with my parents. They always knew what was best for me, yet I would never listen. The worst part is both of them are dead and I can't take it back. I guess my point is, if you don't say goodbye now, you might regret it later." Inaya begins to start up the car.

Roxanne said understanding, "Wait I have something I want to do." She hops out of the car and walks over to Matt. She looks for the right words, "I'm sorry I've been kind of grumpy lately. I really don't want to go. I kept thinking it would be easier if I just stayed mad at you, but it's not really working." She pleads to him, "Please let me stay here."

Matt gave her a light hug and a kiss on the cheek, "I know you don't want to go. If I could have it any other way I'd let you stay. Your life is in danger sweat pea."

She says softly, "But I'm not scared to face that."

Matt says kneeling down to meet her level, "I know you're very strong. I just can't live with that reality. I blame myself for losing your mother, I don't want to lose you as well."

Roxanne put her arms around his neck hugging him and whispers, "It was not your fault. Mom loved you."

Matt stands up, "You better get going, or you'll miss your plane."

She says waving to him as she rushes to the car, "Bye dad. Tell Scott and T-bob bye as well." The car then disappeared down the driveway and headed towards the airport.

 

The end for now...

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge