Blood and Water
Chapter 10
by Lisa Leonard.

Illustration(s) by Hytac       

Roxanne stood there holding a water hose in her hand, on the bottom level of VENOM base. She let the hose's water spray uncontrollably against Switch Blade. She absolutely hated this job and couldn't stand how boring it was. To make her job more exciting, she took it upon herself to provide some entertainment. There was no way to bring in a regular radio into the garage, the sound waves never seemed to penetrate far below the surface. So she did the next best thing. Roxanne opened her mouth and started to sing her heart out. Of course, she chose to sing the most annoying song that could pop into her head: Britney Spears, "Oops I did it again."

Roxanne knew very well that she didn't have a great singing voice and she didn't care. Even though she was having a blast, several other agents were suffering dearly. They would cover their ears, talk louder, and even attempt to shut her up. Unfortunately Roxanne threatened them in return, claiming she'd make up some corny lie that Mayhem would believe. After their attempts to quiet her failed, she just sang louder with a bigger smile on her face. About every ten minutes, somebody else would sneak their way towards the elevator seeking relief and a hand full of aspirin.

Roxanne laughed as she saw the last man standing rush over towards the elevator. Roxanne shut the hose off, "I don't think I sounded that bad." She set the hose down next to a bucket and some rags. She stretched out, "Finally some peace and quiet, I really shouldn't be working this hard. Bruno's supposed to be doing this, not me." She sighs," I'm never going to play poker with Bruno again, especially when he stakes his chores."

Roxanne headed over to Switch Blade and opened the hatch. She jumped inside and snuggles into the seat yawning, "All this work is making me tired. No one's going to mind if I take a nap."

Twenty minutes went by until the elevator door opened. A man walked into the garage and curiously noticed that there was no one around. He started to walk towards a bike parked in the corner of the garage, but stumbled right over a bucket full of soap.

Roxanne woke up instantly, "I'm up! I'm up!" She peeked out of Switch Blade to see where the racket was coming from.

Brad stood by the knocked over bucket. His shoes were soaked in soap and water," You shouldn't leave this stuff out like that, you nearly gave me a heart attack tripping over it."

Roxanne hopped out of Switch Blade, "Well maybe if you wouldn't wear those stupid shades indoors like a normal person, you would of seen them there. What are you doing down here anywise? You trying to make a run for it?"

Brad stepped out of the puddle on the floor and looked to her, " I just came down here to check my bike. I was afraid one of the guys might have tampered with it." Ever since Brad showed up several of the guys had been constantly on his back. Every day Roxy would see him in the mess hall with new decorative bruises on his face. It was obvious she wasn't the only one suspecious of his existence on the base. Even thought Brad was becoming a punching bag, he never fought back. Roxanne figured if he really wanted to fight in he'd hit back, else he had wimp written all over his forehead.

Brad walked over to his bike and started to checks it out. He then glanced over to her direction, "I was also hoping to run into you. After hearing several of the guys complain, I kind of figured I'd find you here."

She laughed, "So your going to give me singing lessons?"

Brad smiled slightly, "Maybe later. Actually somebody took away my access to the computer in the rec. room. I figured you might be able to help me out and...."

Roxanne cuts him off, "Yeah I know about that, cause I did it. So cut the BS your not getting it back."

Brad said in a serious tone, "Well I want it back. Now!" She mocks him, "Or you'll what, tell on me? I know you've been sending messages to the outside, who I don't know. But for a man who's supposed to be hiding you sure want to be found."

Brad tried to reason with her, "I'm trying to blackmail somebody. I really need to have access to that computer."

Roxanne rolled her eyes in disbelief, "Who do I look like, Cliff Dagger? I'm not stupid enough to actually believe that mumbo jumbo." Roxanne reached down to pick the bucket off the floor.

Brad grabbed her arm and forced her to look at him, "You know this isn't a game. You mean absolutely nothing to VENOM."

Roxanne pulled away and laughed, " I think maybe you have that backwards." Roxanne pointed her finger into Brad chest, "You see your the one who means absolutely nothing, meanwhile I serve a higher purpose. "

Brad smirked, "cleaning and picking up after VENOM." She held her fist tightly, "Oh I see what your doing. Your trying to use reverse psychology to get what you want. Well I got news for you. Soon I'll have my own mask and vehicle, and they won't be some little kid's toys- we're talking the real thing. I've proven myself worthy of being here and Mayhem has even adopted me as his own daughter, if that isn't proof enough. You on the other hand have nothing to show for."

Brad asked her curiously, "What about your real father?"

Roxanne looked to the ground, "He's a cold blooded killer who doesn't care about me."

Brad replied back, "So is the man you call your father now."

She looked straight into his eyes and said with a strong belief, "At least he didn't kill my mother."

Just then the elevator opened and Vanessa steps out, "Hey Roxy it's time."

Roxanne dropped everything with excitement. She rushed over towards the elevator, "All right!"

Vanessa motions for Brad to join them as well, "Come along your not going to want to miss the big surprise." Brad moved towards the both of them. Brad knew what was going to be unveiled, but was the surprise really what he expected.

Everybody was gathered around in the warehouse, on the ground level of VENOM base. Vanessa, Roxy, and Brad had to push their way through the crow of VENOM and contra world agents, to get front row seats to the main attraction. Vanessa nodded to Mayhem which gave him the signal that everyone was present. Roxanne glanced up at the 20 foot long laser that was attached to a long truck platform.

Roxanne's mind pondered, "Wow this is really it and I can smell victory actually approaching." Her eyes then glanced over to an object which was covered by a white sheet. She knew what it was and tried to control herself. She couldn't keep the huge smile down off her face, but she tried her hardest to hold back the excitement.

Mayhem stood up on the platform, next to the laser, "My fellow Agents this is the moment of truth. We hold the key," he let his hand rest upon the laser, " to destroying MASK, and finally gaining the well deserved respect from the world leaders and the PNA. From this moment on WE are the ones in power and feared by everyone!"

Roxanne crossed her arms thinking, "Gee he must have spent all day writing this crap. Since when does he use the word 'we' to replace 'I'?"

Mayhem looked out among his agents, "Our first step will be to utterly humiliate MASK and show the world we are a threat and we mean business. Shortly after, we'll show up and pay MASK a little visit in their own backyard leaving nothing left of their base. This will mean the end of MASK, and then nothing can stand in our way."

Everyone cheered with enjoyment as Mayhem rallied up his agents with a burning fire of rage. Mayhem steped down from the platform and moved over towards the object covered by a white sheet," Of course, we also have a new addition to our defenses, to make sure we are unbeatable." Roxy's eyes lit up. She bit her lip as her eyes glanced heavily on the object. This is what she had been dreaming about all her life. Mayhem removed the sheet to reveal a Suzuki GSX-R1100 motorcycle, which was painted purple with black tiger stripes. Roxanne jaw dropped as she saw it.

Even Brad was shocked about how nice the bike looked. He couldn't believe anyone from VENOM could own a better bike then his. Mayhem looked at Roxanne and motioned a hand for her to come closer, "My dear I honor my promise, here is your vehicle, Chameleon."

Roxanne wasted no time rushing over towards her bike. She ran her hand over it letting her ambitions of taking the bike overcome her. Of course, she couldn't take it for a spin until she knew how to operate it. She look to Mayhem with gleaming eyes, "What does it do?"

Vanessa cracked a smile and moved towards her, "Well there is a good reason why we call it Chameleon. Allow me to demonstrate."

Roxy and Mayhem backed away from the vehicle a couple of feet. Vanessa hopped on the cycle and hit the switch on one of the handlebars to activate the weaponry. The two headlights converted into two laser guns and a rocket launcher appeared on both sides of the bike. Roxy said smiling and practically jumping with joy, "Cool!" Roxanne knew she was over reacting at Mayhem's present, but she didn't care.

Vanessa reassured her, "That's not all, allow me to give the full demonstration, before you lose your head." Vanessa pressed her body down towards the bike and activated another switch, causing the entire bike to be covered by a black thick shell.

Roxy jumped back as she watched how fast the shell quickly engulfed the bike, "How am I going to drive with no visibility?"

Mayhem spoke up, "The windshield inside the car is like a computer screen. It gives you several angles of view and night vision. That thick shell you see around the bike is bullet proof and can withstand a good beating before actually breaking. Which leads to the best part- keep your eyes on the bike. Go ahead Vanessa."

Roxanne watched curiously as a shinny silver metal like liquid began to cover the outer shell of the bike. After the bike was covered by the liquid metal, there was a blinding flash of light that came from the vehicle. Roxanne turned away for a moment to readjust her eyes, but when she looked back the bike was gone. She looked over to Mayhem confused, "Where?"

Mayhem said, quite proud of his latest design, "It's still here in that same spot."

After a few minutes the bike became visible again, and Vanessa hopped off the bike. Roxanne stilled had her eyes locked onto her bike and said in a trilled voice, "so basically, the enemy is never going to know where I'm coming from when I hit them."

Vanessa walked over to her and said, correcting her statement, "Not necessarily. After doing some testing we've noticed that the bike is unable to maintain it's invisibility when using your arsenal. So as long as you don't fire you'll stay hidden."

Roxanne sat on the seat of her new bike, "This is great, but where's the full package? What about my mask?"

Nash Gorey approached them with the mask in his arms, "I have it right here. Just had to put a few minor last minute adjustments on it." Roxanne didn't look to thrilled to see Nash and there was always bad blood between them. Nash despised the girl computer hacker, she invaded his turf. He felt that she was taking over his role in VENOM, and soon he'd be out of the job. If Roxy hadn't popped up in the first place, Nash would have received full credit from hacking into the military's system for the new laser's plans. Roxanne never minded the fact that Nash was VENOM computer expert, before she came along. She figured he'd just have to get use to it and accept the idea. She hated the way he always sucked up to Mayhem, trying to be the boss's pet. Nash handed the black mask in the shape of a cobra's head to Roxy. At first Roxy was thinking possible foul play, since she didn't trust Nash. But he wouldn't do anything that would endanger his position or upset the boss. Roxy glanced into the purple jeweled eyes of the mask.

"Ya keep starring into Medusa it'll turn ya to stone," Nash joked and laughed in his nerdy tone.

Roxanne glared at him, "How about I bury you in stone?" She put the mask on, "Let me try this out!"

Vanessa stops her, "Um hun not in here. If you miss Nash and hit the laser, Mayhem not going to be trilled."

Roxanne takes it off, "Shucks. I guess another time." Vanessa began to explain the function of the mask, "I'm afraid it doesn't turn things into stone. Instead, it immobilizes people and electrical equipment. You see energy pulses are emitted from the eyes."

Roxanne looked as though she wasn't really listening to what Vanessa was saying, "Ohhhh. Well this is all awesome. If you don't mind I really want to spend a few hours getting aquainted with my new partner."

Mayhem nodded, "all right, but you better not go too far. I expect you to be careful as well, the last thing I need you to do is attract attention."

Roxanne said innocently, "Attract attention? I'll be invisible."

Mayhem gave her a stern look, "I mean shooting your mask and guns out in public."

Roxanne smiles, "Oh well why would I want to go do something like that?" Roxanne put her mask on and hopped onto Chameleon. Roxanne turned the key on her bike and pulled back on the handle a few times to hear the engine roar a few times.

Vanessa added something else before Roxanne took off," Roxy, make sure you don't aim your mask at your vehicle."

Roxanne made a funny expression under her mask, "Well duh." In just a matter of seconds she was gone and out of the door of the warehouse on her new bike.

Vanessa shook her head, "She's going to get in trouble I just know it."

Brad steps up besides her," Well if I was in her position, I'd do the same thing."

******

Chameleon drove down the dark highway about 90 mph. It passed two cop cars, who were hidden waiting to catch the typical speeders and drunk drivers. Sure the cops heard the sound of something speeding down the road, but they had no image to put with it. So instead, they disregarded it as the wind playing tricks on their ears. Roxanne loved the idea of nobody seeing her, she could go anywhere with no one telling her she was going too fast or the wrong way. The only thing was she had to be more aware of her surroundings, else somebody would bump into her and send her crashing.

A light was blinking on the windshield of Chameleon, but Roxanne ignored it. Somebody was trying to get contact with her, but she refused to accept the transmission. She already knew what Vanessa or Mayhem was going to say, "Where heck are you? I want you back here this instant. Don't you know were leaving for San Francisco tomarrow?"

She shook her head trying to stay awake, "I'll be back tomarrow, before we leave. At the rate I'm driving, I could get to San Francisco before them." After spending two hours getting aquatinted with her bike and mask, Roxanne figured she'd go take a little trip to take care of some unfinished business. She knew it was selfish to put her personal life before her friends and comrades, but this was important to her. If she answered that call and told somebody where she was going, she'd probably be branded as a traitor.

She pondered the punishment she would get for telling her objective, "Better yet they'll send one of the guys after me and I'll get to put this baby in action. Naa they wouldn't do that. They're too busy getting ready for VENOM's typical plan of attack. First pick a major city on a map, then threaten, and finally lay out a trap for MASK. Except this time the trap will actually work, maybe if the guys put it together right.

Chameleon stopped in front of a huge locked gate and revealed itself. Roxanne pressed a button to removed the shell covering over Chameleon, sat up and stretched her back. She hopped off the bike and cracked her back a few times, "Gee that's not really made for long trips."

Her eyes glanced through the bars on the gate towards the Trakker mansion, "Why did I come back? This is stupid." She shakes her head, "Well I'm here I might as well get it over with." Roxanne grabbed Chameleon and walked it over to a group of bushes, on the opposite side of the road, meanwhile leaving her mask with her bike. She then walked over to one of the several trees planted next to the brick wall outlining Trakker's property. Roxanne climbed up the tree with haste, then jumps onto the wall from a nearby branch. She glanced about curiously and hops down rushing towards some cover, "What am I worried for, this is just going to be a short visit. Besides, I bet the camera at the front gate already got a nice shot of me. If somebody knew I was here, they'd be out looking for me right this instant." She moved swiftly towards the house taking cover from what ever she could find on the lawn.

The house looked quiet and dead, except for the light that was on in the study. Her eyes glanced at the window with the light. It was obvious Matt Trakker was in that room working after hours. For a moment she felt the thirst of revenge overcome her feelings, "Now would be the perfect time to strike. He'd never expect it, my mother didn't." She sat on the ground, talking to herself softly trying to give an excuse, "I can't, it will screw everything up. It would interfere with VENOM's plans, and I'd have the police chasing after me. Next time when this is over with I'll come back, by then he will fear me."

Roxanne moved further down the house and looks up at one of the upstairs windows. She swoops up a few rocks that she could scavenge off the ground. The first stone hit the window smack dab in the center. Roxanne glanced in the direction of the study, hoping Matt wasn't alert about the noise. All she wanted to do was have a talk with Scott and avoid any contact with her father. She then threw two more stones at the window, "Come on Scott you sleepy head get up."

******

Scott opened his eyes slightly as he was awakened to the noise of stones hitting his window. He yawned as he opened the window. Just as he stuck his head out the window to see where the racket was coming from, a stone went flying through the air straight at this forehead. Scott put his hand over his head, "Ouch!"

Roxanne covers her mouth as she moved into sight, "Sorry I wasn't paying attention."

Scott recognized the voice and looked down surprised, "What are you doing here besides trying to kill me again?"

She insisted, "Keep it down I don't want him to know I'm here. Actually I really don't know why, I just had to come. I needed to see in the flesh that you were all right." She looks down, "I...I feel bad about what happened, sure you drove me crazy a few times, but you didn't deserve that."

Scott leaned out he window, "Oh so throwing rocks at my head is more appropriate?"

She shouted, "Oh drop it already! I'm sorry Scott! If you want I'll take a bullet for you when I get back! How else do you want me to say I'm sorry?"

Scott smiled, "I think you just did and I'm pretty sure Dad heard that."

Roxanne hits herself in the head, "For once I'd like to think before I do something."

******

Matt raised his head up from his loads of paper work after hearing the yelling. He recognized the voice immediately after he heard it, "She's back...Scott!" He rushed out of the study towards his room.

Scott asked, "Where are you going exactly?"

She smiled, "I can't tell ya it's top secret. If I could take ya along for the adventure I would. Well I better get going, if I don't make it back in time they'll take off with outme. I guess this is good bye Scott, I doubt I'll ever see you again. So you won't have to worry about me trying to kill ya for the third time. So long Scott."

Scott says silently to himself, "I wouldn't count on that." Roxanne waves to him and starts to turn and walk away.

Scott yelled out, "Wait! I need to tell ya something."

Roxanne replied back, "What? I'm kind of in a hurry!"

Scott shouted back, "I know who killed your mother it was..."

Just then Matt stormed into Scott's room, "Where is she?" Matt rushed over towards the window his son was sticking his head out of. Matt looked out the window and glanced down at Roxanne.

Roxanne waved at Matt, "Next time Trakker, I'll be back for your head." She rushed towards the main gate.

Matt pushed Scott aside and headed as quickly as possible outside. Of course by the time he made it to the front gate she was no where in sight. He breathed heavily, "Where did she go?"

Matt walked back up towards the house, meanwhile Scott walks towards him. Matt looked at his son's face, "She hurt you."

Scott pushed his hand away gently, "It's nothing. It was an accident."

Matt looked down on him not believing a word, "Nothing with that girl is an accident, she plans ahead for everything."

Scott mumbles, "Just like you, a chip off the old block if you ask me."

Matt stopped dead in his tracks. Scott never talked back him, until Roxanne showed up. Matt said feeling a bit angry, "You have something to say Scott?"

Scott looked him in the face, "Yeah I do. You know she came here to apologize to me, despite what it may look like. You heard her, didn't you?"

Matt replied back, "Of course and you also heard how she threatened me."

Scott crossed his arms, "From the looks of it, she doesn't know any better. She's been blinded by the truth all her life."

Matt shook his head, "She's a part of VENOM, and as long as she stays with them she becomes more like them." Scott says in a softer tone, "No I think she becomes more like you, but on the opposite side of the war. Dad...She called me in the hospital. How many VENOM's agents would actually call their victims after shooting them? She felt guilty about it and she was right I do understand why she shot me. She did it to hurt you for taking away the one person that meant everything to her." A tear falls down Scott cheek, "Dad she couldn't kill me, she didn't hate me as much as she thought she could."

There was a moment of silence before Matt could act. Matt wrapped his arms around his son, "I understand now."

Scott looked up at him, "Please forgive her for not knowing."

Matt kissed Scott head, "All right I'll forgive her."

Scott smiled, "Then all we need to do is give her that file and everything will straighten itself out."

Matt looked down at him, "Maybe. She won't listen to me, and there is one thing I can do, but it's a long shot."

Scott suggests, "You can take me with you."

Matt shook his head, "No not this time. It will be far to dangerous. To tell you the truth, for the first time I'm actually worried about the future. I fear some of us might not make it back."

Scott looked worried, "Don't say that dad. You're the good guys- you're supposed to win."

Matt turned Scott's frown into a smile, "You're right, we will win." Matt grabs Scott and throws him over his shoulder.

Scott laughed, "Dad put me down I'm not a kid anymore."

Matt set him down and ruffled his hair, "Funny you still look like one, now off to bed hot shot." Both Matt and Scott headed inside the house.

******

Roxanne drove Chameleon into VENOM headquarters, about a quarter to noon. Everybody was in a rush to leave for San Franisco. She slightly hoped that everybody would be too busy, to even notice that she just got back. She turned off the engine of Chameleon and took off her mask. She felt tired and bags were showing under her eyes. She drove straight to Trakker's mansion and back. If she had made any stops, then she wouldn't have made it back in time.

Mayhem and Vanessa approached her as soon as she got off Chameleon. Mayhem says in an angry voice, "Where the blazes were you? We're leaving in 40 minutes."

Her tired eyes look at him wincing, "I had personal business to deal with."

Mayhem points his finger in her face, "You disobeyed a direct order not to go far." She yawns, "You have no idea where I've been for the last 24 hours. I could of been in town all that time."

Vanessa crossed her arms, "Your bike has a tracking device."

She widened her eyes, "No shit, why didn't I think of that. Anyways next time defined how far is far. I made it back in time I don't see what the big deal is."

Vanessa looked down at her disappointed, "We know where you went."

She looks to her as though it wasn't a big deal, "So what, I went back there. It doesn't mean anything."

Nash walks by gradually listening in on the conversation, "The traitor probably spilled her guts."

She lunges out at Nash, "You're dead Nash!"

Bruno stepped in and grabbed her before she could set a finger on Nash.

Mayhem demands, "You better start telling the truth young lady."

She pushed Bruno away, causing him to let go of her, "Fine, you want the truth. I went back to see Trakker's son."

Bruno says in a teasing tone, "ohh Roxy got a boyfriend."

Mayhem shouts, "Enough Bruno go grab the professor!"

She looks down, "I just went there to find out how he was doing. I...I shot him a few months ago. I felt guilty about it, I'm sorry for leaving like that. I should have told you Vanessa the minute I got back.

Mayhem turned his back and walked away, "Vanessa, take care of this." He thought this was absolutely ridiculous. He killed several people in his life time and he had never had an inch of regret.

Vanessa still didn't look too pleased with what Roxy did, "Roxanne I want you to go to your room. You have thirty minutes to get your stuff together and get cleaned up. Then I want you to report back here to Manta."

Roxanne looked at her questioningly, "Why am I not taking Chameleon?"

Vanessa replied, "Don't worry Chameleon is coming along, but you're too tired to drive it. We don't want you crashing during the eight hour drive."

Roxy nodded, "Yes ma'am." She ran off towards the elevator, just before she left Brad walked in front of her.

She sighs, "What do you want? I don't have time for your games."

Brad asked curiously, " I find it hard to believe that a VENOM agent would care so much about her victim."

She shook her head, "You know, butt out of other peoples conversation's, spy."

Brad adds, "Is he all right?"

She pressed the button on the elevator and stepped inside of it, "yeah."

Brad smiled and walked over to Vanessa. Vanessa shouted over to Cliff Dagger, "Grab Chameleon and fill her up. Then put her on the same rig as the laser."

Bruno carried Professor Michael on his shoulder. His feet and hands were cuffed together by a tight plastic strips.

He said repeatedly, "I built your laser, now let me go!"

Mayhem looked at him in the face, "Not until we see it works properly." Dagger placed the old man into the passenger side of Jack hammer.

Vanessa looked to Brad, "You know, you're coming too."

Brad looked surprise, "Nobody told me. Well then you better hop to it and get your things together. You'll be coming with me in Manta."

Brad ask questioningly, "Why am I coming?"

Vanessa looked at her check list and then to Brad, "Cause Mayhem said so, is that good enough for you or do you have to ask him?"

Brad agreed, "Your right, I'd get hung for asking."

By 1pm the base was deserted and everyone was on their way to San Franciso. While everyone else was driving and alert, Roxanne lay sound asleep in the back of Manta.

 

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge