Time's Gravity Part 3
By Brian Kelly

For Agent Profiles, please refer here.

 

After changing the Ferret into helicopter mode, Liam searched the area where the Foxes' plane had disappeared. "Are you sure this is the place?" he asked.

"I'm positive." said Michael over the radio. "The Probe is still picking up temporal energies in that spot."

"I don't see where he could've gone." said Enzo. Suddenly, the plane reappeared in a flash of light and narrowly missed the Ferret. Liam and Rocks made eye contact for a second.

"It's the Foxes." said Liam. "I'd know Rocks' ugly mug anywhere."

"Let's follow him." said Enzo. "We might find out where he took off from."

"Aye." said Liam as he started to follow him.

The plane landed at the strip. Cale, Gearbox, and Blades walked up to greet it as Rocks climbed out.

"Made it." said Rocks. "The Bandit went to the past and came back."

"Bandit?" said Cale. "I thought we named it the Chronoplane."

"Bandit has a much better ring." said Rocks.

"Picking up something on radar!" said Blades as he looked at the control panel of the Rabbit.

"Probably that MASK helicopter." said Rocks.

"I see him." said Gearbox.

Liam looked down at the airfield. "There's their staging area." he said.

"We have to report this to Michael." said Enzo.

"Right, I'm going now." said Liam.

On the ground, the Foxes watched as the Ferret turned around. "Steady, steady." said Rocks. "Pierce, fire!" A small shot fired from his mask and clipped the tail of the Ferret, blowing off the tail rotor.

"Oh, blast!" said Liam as the Ferret spiraled towards the ground. "That's not good at all!"

"Can you land it safely?" asked Enzo.

"It's possible, but don't hold your breath." said Liam as he tried to control the helicopter's descent.


Max landed his mini-copter and stretched his arms a little.

"Good shooting, guys." said Alex. "The new equipment worked very well."

"Thanks." said Max who then looked away sadly.

"What's wrong?" asked Buddie.

"Still miss Liam, huh?" said Wei.

"And the helicopter isn't helping." said Max.

"Who's Liam?" asked Bruce.

"Our helicopter pilot." said Wei. "Also Max's cousin."

"If I just had some indication that I'd see him again." said Max.

Suddenly, the radio crackled to life and Kenny's voice came out. "Mayday, mayday!" he said. "Any MASK agents, Army units, heck, I'll settle for a boy scout troup!"

"Kenny?" said Max.

"Nah, it couldn't be." said Wei.

"Request assistance! Repeat, request assistance! Under attack by Foxes and other..." said Kenny before being interupted by a laser blast. "Take this, you hoser!" he continued.

"That's Kenny alright!" said Max.

Jacques smiled. "Twenty years later, Canadians are still on the team." he said. "Let's make sure he lives."

"Signal's coming from two miles south, just behind that ridge." said Alex. "Let's go!"

The agents turned towards the ridge and raced to it as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, Kenny's Ark was facing a losing battle against the Tigershark, Vampire, and Iguana. Chris let out a groan as he came to.

"What happened?" he asked.

"You were knocked unconcious." said Kenny. "Your truck became a lookout tower."

"Oh great, I've been immobilized." said Chris.

Skull and Crossbones sat not too far to the south.

"Did you hear that?" asked Skull.

"What? The sounds of battle?" asked Crossbones.

"Yeah, I think we should check it out." said Skull.

They started their vehicles and drove towards the fracas which had completely overwhelmed Kenny and Chris.

"Nothing to use my mask on and those guys are out of my firing arc." said Chris. "I could use a little help."

Help was on the way. "Okay, Bruce and I cut around left." said Alex. "Jacques and Wei swing to the right and Max and Buddie go straight through the middle."

"I don't think the Wildcat can make that slope." said Max.

"I'm not going over, I'm going through." said Buddie.

Things were getting worse for Chris and Kenny.

"All of my weapons fire forward!" said Kenny. "I can't get 'em!"

At that time, the other MASK agents were making their moves. Alex and Bruce steered towards the left side of the ridge. Wei and Jacques turned towards the right side. Max elevated a little to clear the ridge and Buddie drove straight towards the the rock wall.

"Penetrator, on!" said Buddie. The Wildcat drove into the side of the ridge and disappeared.

The Tigershark and Iguana held the Ark at gunpoint while the Vampire flew around.

"Looks like the end of the road, Buckaroo!" said Kenny.

Suddenly, the Wildcat burst out of the ridge and dropped into the battle. Buddie called out "Banzai!"

Max flew over the ridge and pointed his guns at the Tigershark. Wei and Jacques drove around the side of the ridge and cornered the vehicle.

"Who are these guys?" said Sludge.

"Just more targets." said Malloy as he watched the Vampire's shadow approach the Wildcat. He was surprised to see a second shadow next to it. He looked over to see the Grasshopper and Alex.

"Cheerio." said Alex as he steered the Grasshopper's stabilizer into Malloy's face. Malloy had no choice but to plough a rut into the ground with his vehicle. As he crashed, a rock flew into the back of Chris's truck and the Texan grabbed it out of the air.

"Breaker, on!" he said. Just after the rock's molecular structure was destabilized, he threw it at the Iguana and blew apart its sawblade and cannons.

"Can't you idiots do anything right?!" screamed Gilford. He didn't notice the Avalanche heading straight for him.

"Charger, on!" said Wei. The truck was bathed in a yellow glow and rammed into the Tigershark, knocking it in front of the Ark.

"That's good." said Kenny who then fired the lasers and hit the Tigershark's cab.

Gilford pulled himself out of the blast site and said "Retreat, you morons! Retreat!" The Tigershark, Vampire, and Iguana drove off and left the warzone.

"If there's one thing they do well, it's run." said Alex who changed his vehicle back into a motorcycle. The other agents laughed as they changed their vehicles back into civilian mode. Max landed his copter on the Piggyback trailer and the box closed around it.


"We can't be sure if those agents survived or not." said Gearbox.

"Guess again." said Cale as she put on her mask. She then looked in the direction of the crash and said "Insider, on!" She started to see what Liam was seeing through his Twister mask.

"What I'm asking is 'can you fix it?'." said Liam.

"The shot took off the tail rotor." explained Enzo. "We're not fixing this unless you have a spare."

"Hey, I was lucky enough to get us down in one piece, lad." said Liam. "We're going to have to drive it back to base."

"That's something you can do." said Enzo as he and Liam got back into the Ferret. Liam switched the helicopter back into a car. The rotor blades folded back and the tail boom retracted. The unit then sunk into the trunk of the car and the hatch closed over it. The laser blasters retracted into the nose, the wheels flipped down, and the landing skids retracted into the rocker panels.

"Well, it looks like the luck of the Irish was on their side." said Cale. "They're going back to base."

"I'll chase him down and take him out." said Blades. "I've been itching for this."

"I think a Wasp and a Deviator will do the trick." said Cale.

"Gotcha." said Gearbox. He walked over to an android and pushed a few buttons on its chest. The android walked over to a silver Porsche Boxster, climbed in, and started the car. It then drove after the Ferret.

"They probably don't even know we survived the crash." said Enzo.

"Aye." said Liam. "Smooth sailing from..." He suddenly noticed something in his rearview. "It's a Deviator!" he shouted as the Porsche's front bumper opened to reveal a pair of lasers.

"Great! And us without weapons." said Enzo as the Deviator started to fire.


"Hey, how are we gonna explain this to Mayhem?" asked Malloy. "It's not as if the odds were totally against us."

"Shut up, I'm trying to think of an answer." said Gilford.

"Hey, what's that?" said Sludge.

"Two vehicles, a blue Impulse and a black and brown van." said Gilford.

"Someone's approaching." said Skull.

"Could be MASK." said Crossbones. "I think we'd better convert."

"Good idea." said Skull as he pushed a button on his dashboard. Without warning, the car's rear hatch split and flipped open to become jet engines and stabilizers. A pair of wings folded out of the body. The front fenders flipped forward into a pointed nose and the vehicle took off with its pilot screaming.

"Crud." said Crossbones as he cautiously followed suit. The van's body rose as the wheelbase contracted. The rear opened up and became a pair of robotic arms with a laser blaster and missile launcher on each. Crossbones' arms were locked in a pair of control braces and the front of the van became a shield.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" asked Crossbones who tried to move around in the cockpit. As he moved his arms, the robotic arms moved. "Hey, wait a sec." he said.

"I think I'm getting the hang of this." said Skull who was starting to feel a little better about being in a plane.

The Tigershark, Iguana, and Vampire came face-to-face with the van. "What the heck?" said Sludge.

"Don't try to go any further." said Crossbones.

"Just what if we refuse?" asked Gilford.

Crossbones responded by picking him up with one of the robot arms. Gilford's mask fell off in the scuffle. Crossbones was shocked to discover who it was. "Gilford!" he said.

"Of course it's me!" said Gilford. "Now, put me down, you idiot!"

"Sorry, sorry." said Crossbones as he put Gilford back in the Tigershark. Skull managed to land the Impulse and park it nearby.

"So you finally got that thing working." said Gilford.

"Correct." said Skull. "Now, we need you to take us to Darwood."

"Gladly." said Gilford, smiling evily.

Meanwhile, the MASK agents talked about Chris and Kenny's trip through time. Bruce took a look at the Ark while Kenny was trapped inside.

"And that leads us to now." said Chris.

"So we can return to the future." said Max.

"How long do we have?" asked Wei.

"I dunno." said Chris. "A few days maybe."

"This is a very nice piece of equipment." said Bruce as he went over the Ark. "What is it called?"

"Kenny called it the Ark." said Chris. "I named my truck the Clydesdale."

"It's a submarine, much like the Shark." said Bruce. "Only it's the size of a truck."

"And the doors are sealed." said Kenny. "Can you get me out of here?"

"Sorry." said Bruce. He stepped back a few feet, put his mask on, and said "Lifter, on." A series of energy rings projected from the mask and the Ark lifted into the air. In mid-air, it changed back into a truck. When it landed, Kenny climbed out.

"Thanks." said Kenny. "I was getting claustrphobic in there."

"Do the Foxes have a transport like this?" asked Alex.

"'Fraid so." said Chris. "We saw it disappear just before our trip."

"We need someone to come back to the future with us." said Kenny. "Chris will stay here and explain this to the others."

"Guess I'll go." said Max. "My vehicle doesn't need to be driven."

"Catch you later." said Wei.

"Come on, I'd like to test this thing in motion." said Kenny. He and Max got into the Ark while the others got into their respective vehicles. Kenny drove a little further into the desert while the others drove back to the test site.

"This looks like a good spot." said Kenny. "Punch the yellow button."

"Okay." said Max. He clenched a fist and punched the button. The electrodes emerged from the truck's bodywork.

"That was just a figure of speech." said Kenny as the Ark disappeared.


The Deviator continued its pursuit of the Ferret. The Saturn swerved whenever it was in the Deviator's sights. A few shots connected, but the car only took minor damage.

"It's gonna take a bloody miracle to get us out of this!" yelled Liam.

Suddenly, a miracle happened. The Ark appeared and crashed into the Deviator head-on. The truck took little damage, but the Porsche was demolished.

"Uh oh, what'd I hit?" said Kenny.

"Ask and you shall receive." said Enzo.

The Ark turned around and parked behind the Ferret.

"Nice to see you, Kenny." said Liam before he realized who was with him. "Max." he said with relief.

"Liam!" said Max. "Dude, are you a sight for sore eyes!"

The two cousins wrapped their arms around each other and squeezed. "All the times I thought I'd never see you again." said Liam.

"Liam, I can't breathe!" joked Max.

"I'd hate to cut into the happy reunion, but the Deviator's resurrected!" said Kenny. The pieces of the car had become small robots with laser weapons.

"Me work's never done." said Liam as he let go of Max and put on his mask. He walked towards the approaching robots and said "Twister, on!". A pair of tornados spun away from him and picked up the robots. The small robots were smashed into each other.

"Guess who else is back!" said Enzo.

"Right, let's get back to Micahel and work on our next plan." said Kenny.

"I'm riding with Liam." said Max.


At VENOM headquarters, Flash walked around her Testarossa, the Blur. She thought of all the times she and her brother, Gearbox, traded fire with MASK. She didn't notice Vanessa Warfield sneak up behind her.

"Still miss your brother?" she said.

"Yeah, I'd like to know he's alright." said Flash. "We're close as you can probably see."

"True, but I can't allow you to show weakness." said Foxes leader Malcolm Darwood. "We're facing MASK. We want to be at the top of our skills."

At that moment, Gilford, Sludge, and Malloy drove in with Skull and Crossbones.

"It appears Gilford is back from his little strike." said Darwood. "And it appears he lost." he added when he saw the damage to the vehicles.

"And who's that with him?" asked Warfield.

"Is that who I think it is?" said Flash.

The new arrivals got out of their vehicles. "Hey, Flash. How's it going?" said Crossbones.

"Guess who got a time transport working." said Skull.

"Let me guess. MASK?" said Darwood half-jokingly.

"Uh, yeah, they did too." said Skull sheepishly.

"Great, now the time race is completely out of control." said Darwood.

"What happened to your vehicles?" asked Flash.

"You can thank these two for that." said Gilford. "We were returning from our observation of the MASK training when they opened fire on us."

"Huh?" said a confused Skull.

"They must've thought we were MASK or something." said Gilford. "Luckily, I was able to stop them before they could kill us."

"What?" said Crossbones.

"Great, you two can tell us your mission." said Darwood. "That is, after you repair the vehicles."

Darwood, Gilford, and the others walked towards the conference room. Skull and Crossbones started towards the damaged vehicles.

"Man, what a jerk." said Crossbones.

"He's a slick one, that's for sure." said Skull.

Meanwhile, MASK leader Matt Trakker worked his cover job as a business leader. Future MASK leader Jeremy Sanchez worked as his security advisor.

"Honestly, I don't think this is a very viable plan." said Matt to the man who had handed him a business proposal. "It needs a lot of work."

"We'll have security show you out." said Jeremy.

Just after the man left, the phone rang. Matt answered.

"Hello?" he said. "Just a second." He then turned on the speaker phone. "Go on." he said.

"Matt, the test worked out perfectly." said Alex over the phone. "Except there was a wrinkle we didn't count on."

"Which is?" asked Matt.

"We ran into some friends." said Alex. "I believe your new security advisor knows them. One of them's here right now."

"Hey, Jeremy. You alright?" said Chris over the phone.

"Chris?" said Jeremy.

"Guess what?" said Chris. "We got the time transport working."

"That's great!" said Jeremy.

"So did the Foxes." said Chris.

Jeremy groaned. "Tell me some good news, please." he said.

"I have to tell the entire team." said Chris. "The Foxes are up to something. And it involves VENOM."

"We'll call the rest of the team." said Matt. "We'll be right there."

"Gotcha. See ya later." said Chris as he hung up.

"Okay, you call your guys, I'll call mine." said Jeremy. He and Matt turned to their computer terminals and hit the appropriate buttons.

Past agent Gloria Baker and future agent Caitlin Horowitz worked as drivers for a racing team as their cover job. They were both in a race at Phoenix on that day.

"Caitlin, this is Gloria." said Baker over her radio. "Be prepared to pass on my inside while I distract this guy."

"You got it." said Caitlin as her MASK watch started beeping.

"Caitlin, did your watch just beep?" asked Gloria a couple of seconds before hers did the same. "Well, there goes that race."

Future agent Rocky Jackson snagged a job as a roadie for rock star Brad Turner, a past agent. He was setting up for a show in L.A. at the time.

"Testing, one, two." said Rocky as he did a sound check. Suddenly, his watch started beeping and the entire room heard it through the speakers.

"I thought I told you to turn off your alarm." said Brad's manager. "I can still hear it echo."

What he didn't realize was that the beeping he now heard was Brad's watch. "Uh oh, something just came up." said Brad.

Past agent Julio Lopez worked as a doctor as his cover job. He and future agent Laura Kennedy were seeing a patient that day.

"What you have does not appear to be serious." said Julio to the patient. "But we need to perform another blood test just to be sure."

He was about to administer the blood test when his watch beeped. "Oh no. Dr. Kennedy, can you do this?" asked Julio. "Something urgent just came up."

"No problem, the day I can't handle a simple blood test is the day I..." said Laura just before her watch beeped. "On second thought, I'd better let an expert handle this." she said. "Nurse!"

"Jeff!" said past agent Dusty Hayes at his cover job at a pizza parlor. "I've got a delivery for you since both Max and Wei are out. Take this pizza to 33 Market St."

Just then, his watch beeped. Jeff returned and asked "Did he leave an apartment...number?" to an empty room.

Past agent Hondo Maclean worked as a history teacher for his cover job. He was proctoring an exam when his watch beeped. He slipped out of the room while his students checked their watches.

Another past agent, Ace Riker, had a cover job as a NASA test pilot. He was in the cockpit of an experimental plane at the time.

"How's it look?" asked the test supervisor.

"Looking a-okay." said Ace over the radio. Suddenly, his watch beeped and he said "Uh, I have to land. I have something important to do."

"I understand." said the supervisor. "What do the tests show?"

"Acceleration and top speed are good." said future agent Scooter Marshall. "But handling needs work." At that point, his watch beeped as well. "Uh, Ace, wanna carpool?" he asked.

Past agent Calhoun Burns went over the designs for a building on the day in question. His watch beeped and he left in the middle of drawing a line.

Meanwhile, the VENOM agents and Foxes gathered to hear what Skull and Crossbones had to say.

"So, a couple of your goons got a second time portal open." said Venom leader Miles Mayhem.

"Yes, it would appear they are not as helpless as they look." said Darwood.

"I can't believe he suckered us into fixing his rig." said Crossbones as he and Skull entered.

"Don't worry." said Skull. "I rigged Gilford's bus with a little something."

"Well, I can't believe you two actually made it." said the Foxes' robotics expert, Dr. Frankenstein.

"Believe it." said Skull. "Now, about this time transport. We were having a little trouble coming up with the design for a time portal, mostly because Dr. Frankenstein was trapped in the past."

"Fortunately, Melissa Cale happened to drop by MASK headquarters and steal some designs that Indian was working on." said Crossbones.

"Wait, could you repeat that?" said Darwood. "Did you say Melissa Cale?"

"Uh, yeah." said Crossbones. "Her Insider mask helped her read the plans."

"What is she up to now?" asked Darwood.

"What do you mean?" asked Mayhem.

"Last year, Melissa Cale tricked Dr. Frankenstein into stealing a meteor which probably could have helped us defeat MASK." explained Darwood. "His robots almost destroyed both us and MASK."

"It's not something I like to recall." said Dr. Frankenstein.

"Cale doesn't help us out unless she's got something planned for herself." said Darwood.

"Whatever it is, I'm willing to ignore it for now." said Skull. "It was thanks to her efforts that we were able to create the time transport. It is disguised as a Dakota transport plane and is called the Bandit."

"What are we going to use it for once everyone's in 1986?" asked Darwood.

"Were going to get stuff from the future as needed." said Crossbones.

"Besides, the Indian guy said something about a need to make return trips to the future." said Skull. "Melissa didn't catch everything."

Within an hour or so, MASK and MASK 2 had gotten together for their own briefing. The original agents took their usual seats while the future agents stood around. Chris took the stand to discus the information he had.

"Nice to see you again, Chris." said Laura.

"But is Max coming back?" asked Scooter.

"I'll answer that and any other questions you might have." said Chris. "In case you're wondering how I got here, we got a new time travel gizmo working. It's disguised as an auto transporter and Kenny called it the Ark."

"The original time portal was created by the Foxes." said Jeremy. "How did Michael and Enzo build the Ark?"

"Easy. They studied the wreckage of the Foxes' time portal and based their design on their findings." explained Chris.

"Wreckage?" said Hondo.

"The self-destruct mechanism did go off then." said Rocky.

"'Fraid so." said Chris. "We used a similar design in the Ark, but the Foxes came up with something similar."

"What?" said Caitlin.

"How did they do that?" asked Matt.

"I dunno." said Chris. "They either developed it independantly or a spy copied our plans."

"If it was a spy, you know who it was." said Jeremy.

"Melissa Cale." he said simultaneously with Scooter and Laura.

"How does the Ark compare with the time portal?" asked Bruce.

"It focuses its energy with an emerald instead of a diamond." said Chris. "Because it's smaller, it needs a 10 gigawatt charge as compared to a 100 gigawatt charge to activate, but has a TGI of twenty-four hours as compared to eight months."

"Excuse me, a TGI?" said Wei.

"Oh yeah, I should have said something sooner." said Chris. "TGI: Time's Gravity Index. Michael theorizes that if something is pulled out of its rightful time frame, time will use a kind of gravity to pull that 'something' back to said rightful time frame. The Foxes' time portal had a Time's Gravity Index of eight months, so you guys are going to be pulled back any moment."

"How do you know when this is going to happen?" asked Alex.

"Why does it feel so cold all of a sudden?" asked Caitlin.

Suddenly, Caitlin started to glow. "Oh boy, here it comes." said Chris.

Just as suddenly, Caitlin disappeared in a flash.

"Where did she go?" asked Jeremy.

"Back to the future." said Chris. "But I don't know if she's okay." 

TO BE CONTINUED

Mail Brian

Back to the Mindforge