Generations Part 4
By Brian Kelly

For Agent Profiles, please refer here.


The MASK agents, past and future, ran to their cars.

"Did you read about VENOM in the team history?" asked Matt.

"Not much." said Jeremy. "It didn't list their names, vehicles, or masks. Heck, it didn't even say what VENOM stood for."

"Viscious Evil Network Of Mayhem." said Matt.

"Thanks." said Jeremy.

Caitlin brought her Countach, the Swift, into position and drove towards the approaching VENOM agents. She pushed the button on the dashboard and began the car's transformation. The rear fenders swung up to reveal wings and jet engines. The spoiler popped up and extended to the sides to become a horizontal stabilizer and two vertical stabilizers. Two weapons pods with a laser blaster and missile launcher each extended from the sides. Caitlin flew over Dagger and Sheppard and made a startling discovery.

"There's only two of them!" she said. "I can't see anyone else for miles."

"We can turn them back without much force." said Hondo. "Just change the ground-based vehicles." After saying that, he pushed the button on the dashboard of his '57 Chevy Bel Air, the Hurricane. The body rose up to reveal an extra pair of wheels. Then, cannons extended from the headlights and windshield. A scanner was revealed behind the grill and a pair of cutting lasers swung up from the roof.

Bruce then set his diesel rig, the Rhino, through its conversion. The grill extended forward and the sleeper cab slid back to reveal a missile launcher. The diesel stacks lowered to become cannons. The antenna started moving back and forth as a radar scanner. Dusty's Jeep, the Gator, went through a much simpler change. Part of the roll bar swung up to become a laser blaster.

"Can't let them have all the fun." said Scooter as he jumped into his DeLorean, the Katana. He pushed the conversion button and the other gullwing opened and energy blasters extended from the doors. The front fenders extended to the sides to reveal energy cannons. The hood flipped forward to reveal a dish of some kind. The rear hatch elevated to become a radar scanner.

"I'm comin' to join ya!" said Rocky as he activated the conversion on his Harley, the Mule. The vehicle popped into the air and the front fork flipped up to become a pair of cannons. The fuel tank became a blast shield and heads-up display. The wheels retracted and a turret mount extended from the vehicle's bottom. The Mule then attached itself to the Katana's gullwing.

"There they are!" said Dagger.

"Let's get em!" said Sheppard. He started the transformation on his GTO, the Stinger. The fenders and wheels flipped up to reveal tank treads and laser cannons extended from the wheels. A blast shield popped into place and a mortar swung out. The side pipes became laser cannons and the hood scoop became a radar scanner.

Dagger followed suit with his Bronco, the Jackhammer. The hood slid over the windshield and the grill flipped down to reveal a pair of laser blasters. The rear section of the cab elevated to become a laser turret. Sheppard began scanning with his radar.

"I'm picking up some radar from the Stinger." said Bruce. "I think he might be trying to lock on to us."

"Sorry he doesn't succeed." said Scooter as he pushed another button. Dagger and Sheppard made their shots and missed by a mile.

"I can't target them!" shouted Dagger.

"They must be jamming our targeting sensors." said Sheppard. "It's probably that DeLorean. The little line thingies on my radar are messed up the most around it. I've got 'im."

Sheppard pointed the front of the Stinger at the electrical tower behind the Katana and fired the mortar. The blast broke the tower in half. The future MASK agents gasped at the sight. The tower started to fall away from the Katana until Sheppard said "Magna Beam, on!"

A beam of energy connected Sheppard's mask with the tower and started pulling it towards the car. Scooter let out a scream when he saw the tower falling towards him.

"Aura, on!" said Gloria. Her mask shot out an energy field which caught the tower and set it down gently next to the Katana. Scooter and Rocky breathed a sigh of relief.

"It didn't hurt him!" said Dagger.

"We're a little bit out-gunned!" said Sheppard. "Let's get outta here!"

They changed their vehicles back into civilian mode and drove towards a dirt road. Hondo did the same and said "I'm going after them."

"Careful, Hondo!" said Matt.

Sheppard crossed the wooden bridge not too far down the road. Dagger followed, then stopped. He looked at the bridge and said "Torch, fire!"

A gout of flame erupted from his mask and set the bridge on fire. Hondo wouldn't dare to cross as Dagger drove away. The bridge collapsed a few seconds later.

The 80s MASK agents laughed as the two VENOM agents drove off. The 21st Century agents looked at the fallen tower with shock and sadness.

"What's wrong?" asked Matt. "We've just scored a victory."

"Yeah, a Pyrrhic victory." said Jeremy.

Later, Sheppard and Dagger returned to VENOM headquarters. Mayhem wasn't pleased.

"You just ran?" he yelled. "Faced with a chance to take out some new opponents, you ran?"

"We were grossly outnumbered." said Dagger. "There were..." He paused to count on his fingers. "...eleven of them."

"No excuses!" said Mayhem. "Thanks to you, MASK is an even bigger threat now!"

"Oh, Mayhem." said Darwood. "This is just what you told me not to do. You shouldn't be screaming at these two. You could seriously do some damage to their self-esteem."

"What?" said Mayhem.

"If you want to get them to do something right, you must try to remain calm." said Darwood. "Observe."

Mayhem grumbled as Darwood took his chance to talk to Dagger and Sheppard.

"So, it must have been a tough battle, hmmm?" he said. "You were outnumbered and you still made an effort."

"Yeah. Thems was tough." said Sheppard. "We couldn't crack 'em."

"Oh, don't worry about it." said Darwood. "You'll get them next time."

"I don't know about that." said Dagger. "They were really tough."

"Yeah, I even dropped one of those towers on 'em and they didn't even flinch." said Sheppard.

Darwood said "Oh, it's okay. We'll be backing you..." Suddenly, he realized what Sheppard said. "YOU KNOCKED DOWN ONE OF THE TOWERS?" he screamed. "YOU IDIOTS! NOW, WE'RE TRAPPED HERE!"

"Oh, Darwood." said Mayhem. "This is just what I told you not to do. You have to remain calm."

Darwood groaned at the comment, then turned back to Dagger and Sheppard and said "Starting now, you're working with Hack and Slash. Right now, their failure to kill one MASK agent pales in comparison to your blunder." He turned back to Mayhem and said "Are we going to go ahead with the heist?"

"Of course." said Mayhem. "Time is of the essence."

At the MASK camp, things were not as sunny.

"I can't believe we're stuck here." said Jeremy.

"Relax, Jeremy." said Caitlin. "I'm sure Michael and Enzo will come up with something."

"Besides, maybe we can fix that tower." said Matt.

"Not likely." said Scooter. "It's totally FUBARed."

"FUBARed?" said Gloria.

"Fouled Up Beyond All Repair." said Max. "It's from a movie."

"You can tell us later." said Bruce. "Right now, we have a slight VENOM problem."

"Yeah, you're right." said Matt. "We need to find out what they're up to."

"Does your computer say anything, Scooter?" asked Caitlin.

"I still can't access records of the 80s MASK conflicts." said Scooter.

"Wait! You said the password was very personal to the 80s MASK leader." said Jeremy. "We've got him right here."

Scooter handed Matt a keyboard. "It's geared to my voice." he explained. "Besides, your password might be a little too personal."

Matt typed in the password and something beeped in the computer. "Files opened." said the computer's voice.

"That kinda sounds like Laura." said Dusty. Laura just looked away and giggled.

"It doesn't say what VENOM will attack next." said Scooter. "It does give a list of possible targets, though."

"Spill it!" said Laura. "They could be there already!"

"The list is long." said Scooter. "So long the computer can't list them all."

"Can we narrow it down somewhat?" asked Brad.

"Darwood was in kind of a hurry." said Max.

"Try something happening within a week." said Matt. "If that doesn't work, try a few days."

"For a week, we've got a few hundred hits." said Scooter. "But just 25 in the next few days."

"See if any VENOM agents have spotted around any of those locations recently." said Hondo.

Scooter checked the computer again. "Got one!" he said. "At Burton Chemical just south of here, a security officer spotted a weasely little man in glasses a week ago. Said man matches the description of a VENOM agent." The picture of the agent in question came up on the screen.

"Well, if it isn't a guy named Nash." said Dusty.

"Bridges?" asked Jeremy.

"Nash Gorey." said Matt. "Former computer hacker. Currently in the employ of Miles Mayhem."

"Burton Chemical." said Gloria. "What could VENOM possibly want there?"

"Checking." said Scooter. After a few seconds, he looked at the screen and his jaw dropped.

"What is it?" asked Matt.

"They're storing a powerful nerve agent!" said Scooter. "It's called Enots-9! It's scheduled to be taken to a disposal facility tomorrow! If dispersed into a community's water supply, it can cause death within minutes!"

Everyone gasped. "Chemical weapons?" said Matt. "This time, VENOM's gone too far!"

"And it's up to us to stop him." said Jeremy.

"Absolutely correct!" said Matt. Then he and Jeremy said in unison "Assemble Mobile Armored Strike Kommand."

Meanwhile, the VENOM agents and Foxes had gathered on a hill next to Burton Chemical.

"Okay, here's the plan." said Darwood. "First, Hack sneaks in with the Intruder and takes out the detection systems. Then, Flash and a few others grab the canisters and throw them in the Tigershark. Finally, Marcus stages an accident to cover up the theft."

"What?" said Gilford. "I'm not just some dork who causes accidents, I'm an assassin!"

"Today, you're a dork who causes accidents." said Mayhem. "You'll be taking over for Dagger."

"I think we can put the plan into effect right now." said Darwood. "Hack, that means you."

"I'm on my way." said the lowly burglar. He got into the Trans-Am, now called Intruder, and drove down to the side of the complex.

He reached the fence and pushed a button on the dashboard. The tail section popped up to reveal a grappling hook and a pair of missiles. the nose divided to reveal laser blasters and a sensor jammer. The roof swung forward to become a control panel.

Hack climbed up to the grappling hook and pushed the firing button. The grappling hook fired into the complex and hooked onto a roof section. Hack grabbed onto a cable glider and pulled the handle. He cruised onto the roof and started sneaking along until he reached a skylight. He looked through the skylight and then broke it. Flash watched him climb through the skylight with a pair of binoculars.

"He's in." she said. "Slash, you come with me. I'll also need the strongest VENOM agents to help me."

Dagger, Sheppard, and Gorey stepped forward. "Wait a minute. Gorey? You must be kidding me." said Flash.

"Well, I'm not." said Gorey. "You should see what my mask can do."

"I'm coming too." said Vanessa. "No one can supervise these guys like I can."

"Okay." said Flash. "Let's go."

The group got into the Tigershark and drove down to where the Intruder was parked. Then they got out and looked at the wall.

"Okay, let's wait for Hack's signal." said Flash.

Hack's voice came over the communicator. "Hack here. The alarms are down." he said. "The room's completely locked now. No one can get in."

"Great, but how do we get in?" asked Gorey.

"Like this." said Flash. She looked at the wall and said "Wormhole, on!"

A small energy ball shot from her mask and widened into a tunnel in space shortly after. "Now follow me." said Flash and the group walked into the tunnel. They emerged inside a room filled with canisters of various chemicals.

"It's over here." said Vanessa. "Even you guys can handle this."

Slash, Dagger, and Sheppard all picked up canisters of the nerve agent. Gorey walked over to a forth and said "Powerhouse, on!"

Energy surrounded him and he picked up the last canister with no problems. Then, he turned around and struck Dagger in the back of the head, knocking him down.

"Careful! If that nerve agent gets out, we're done for." said Flash.

"No, we're not." said Vanessa. "It's only active when mixed with water."

"So pouring it in a reservoir would work as planned." said Flash.

"Freeze!" called a security guard as he pointed an assault rifle at the group. The Foxes and VENOM agents raised their hands.

"Hack, I thought you said no one could get in!" said Flash over her communicator.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you." responded Hack. "He was already in there."

"I've already opened the locks manually." said the guard. "My backup will arrive shortly."

"Whip, on!" said Vanessa.

A stream of energy shot out of her mask and broke the guard's rifle in half. Flash ran over and punched him in the stomach. He doubled over and dropped to the floor.

"Let's get out of here before more show up." said Flash. "Wormhole, on!"

She created another tunnel and she and her cohorts ran through back to the outside. They found Hack in the Intruder waiting for them.

"Hey, where've you been?" he asked. "I was getting worried...a little."

"I'll deal with you later." said Vanessa. "Right now, we have a phase two to execute."

"Right." said Gilford. "Speaking of executing. Shockwave, fire!"

An energy mass was fired from his mask and struck the wall of the complex. The wall was only slightly damaged, but an energy wave passed through the wall and ruptured several containers of chemicals. As they mixed, a dense vapor rose. Alarms went off, lights flashed, and foremen shouted emergency orders. Meanwhile, the Foxes and VENOM agents drove off.

"On to the reservoir." said Mayhem from his helicopter, the Switchblade. "Phase 2 begins."

"I've sent Dr. Frankenstein ahead to prepare for our arrival." said Darwood.

The MASK agents arrived at Burton Chemical to find most of the workers outside and a heavy gas cloud covering the place.

"Doggone it! We're too late!" said Max.

"Not that late." said Bruce. "The gas is still there. This was only a few minutes ago."

Matt climbed out of his Camaro, the Thunder Hawk and walked over to the plant foreman.

"What happened?" asked Matt.

"A few gas canisters ruptured." said the foreman. "I think we managed to get everybody out."

"What about the Enots-9?" asked Matt.

"That nerve toxin? It's supposed to disposed of tomorrow." said the foreman. "It should still be there."

"I'll see." said Jeremy. "White Hawk, on!"

An energy probe flew from his mask. Unfortunately, it dissipated in the gas cloud.

"Uh oh." said Jeremy. "That gas must be ionized."

"Let me try." said Matt. "Spectrum, on!"

The visor of his mask glowed. He saw the interior of the complex.

"It's gone." he said. "They must've gotten it."

"Where could they have taken it?" asked Gloria.

"Darwood doesn't steal something unless he plans to use it." said Caitlin.

"And the Enots-9 only becomes active when mixed with water." said Bruce.

A groan was heard. The agents looked and saw the security guard who happened on the Foxes and VENOM agents being carried from the disaster area.

"What happened to him?" asked Hondo.

"He was not too far from the room the Enots-9 was stored in." said the man carrying him. "Before he passed out, he said 'it's gone.'"

"He must be refering to the Enots-9." said Max.

"Duh!" said Wei.

"That word's still in use twenty years from now?" said Brad.

Laura checked out the guard. "The gas got to him." she said. "But it's not what knocked him out. Someone hit him."

"Is he going to be alright?" asked the foreman.

"Doctor, on!" said Laura.

Her right glove glowed and the guard opened his eyes and coughed a couple of times. "He'll be fine." said Laura. "But don't expect him to come in tomorrow."

"Can he answer questions?" asked Jeremy.

"What's going on?" asked the guard.

"Who did this to you?" asked Jeremy. "Were they wearing masks like these?

"Yes." said the guard. "It was two women and four men."

"Did they say anything?" asked Jeremy. "Perhaps a clue as to where they were going?"

"They said something about a reservoir." said the guard. He followed it with a moan.

"Thank you. You've been very helpful." said Jeremy.

"Scanning for reservoirs right now." said Scooter.

"McKenna Reservoir! Ten miles from here!" said Dusty as he held up a road atlas.

"McKenna?" said Jeremy. "That reservoir supplies water to several parts of L.A!"

"I think it might be worth checking out." said Matt. "Mayhem would definately pick a major city like Los Angeles."

"I think Darwood might have chosen this one." said Jeremy.

"Why?" said Matt.

"Because one of those parts of L.A. is where I grew up." said Jeremy. "Or should I say 'am growing up."

 

TO BE CONCLUDED

Mail Brian

Back to the Mindforge