Long winded Commish is back with many season ending notes...
1. Congratulations again to the Dawg Backers for winning the 9th A-Son FFL Championship! After making the Fantasy playoffs 5 years in a row as the Tasmania Taz'z/Dawg Pounders/Dawg Goners, the Dawg Backers finally made it back to the Fantasy playoffs after missing for 3 years with their current name. Ironic that the Browns have also made the playoffs after missing for 3 years since the Dawgs have been Back. Could it be the year of the Dawgs? It sure has been a fun season being a Dawg Backer.
2. Speaking of the Browns making the playoffs, the question has been raised whether a Browns Super Bowl Championship would mean more than a Toilet Bowl Crappership and a number 1 draft pick next year. We will have to ask the LA Dragons to flush this out for us.
3. Fantasy Farewell free for all was won by OPH Volcanoes, who overtook Medina Vipers on Mon night. Overall, scores were pretty low - good thing our Fantasy Bowl is played in week 16, eh Backers? Congrats to Vols & Vipes. Farewell placement dictates the division alignments for next year, which is as follows:
Arctic - OPH; Medina; Yukon; Dazed;
Atlantic - Kingos; Toss; Fed; Dawg;
Pacific - Suffield; Ricky; LA; Dung;
Tropic - Copley; Iron City; Mogadore; Elrod.
4. Not suprising that Champion Dawg Backers produced the Best Draft with their first filled starting position selections ending up with 659 points scored. That's 39 points per game, without the benefit of any transactions. The 659 total topped the old league record of 641 scored in 1998, also by the Backers. Dawg's a draft day dynamo. Runner up was Fed's Gloom & Doom with 609 points. Suprisingly, Crapper LA Dragons had the 3rd best draft. After flushing the Dragons out, 3 of the top 4 best drafts made the Fantasy Fabulous 4. Even after 385 league transactions, a good draft still is hard to beat.
5. Commish's Dung Leaders produced the Best Sleeper Drafted with the 12th round pick of Brad Johnson. Brad's 16 points in week 14 sure would have been nice to overtake the powerhouse Vols in the playoffs. Leaders gave up on sleeper Brad way too early in the season. Oh the flops and plops of a season with Crappership always dangling over Dung. Dawg Backers 11th round pick of Mark Brunell edged out Dazed & Confuzed 6th round pick of Clinton Portis for 2nd and 3rd best sleepers.
6. Check out the Ason Home page for final playoff brackets and prize winners. For the 2nd time in 3 years, OPH Vols gobbled a big piece of the prize pie, but had to swallow $122 in transactions to do it. Guess there is something to be said about being hungry and willing to pay for quality beef. In the other cheek, LA Dragons devoured $98 in hot (at the time) transactions - only now to be dousting their flaming tongue and tail into a cold porcelain bowl for relief.
7. Rudy's Steak & Beer Garden is closed for the winter and cannot host our Secondary Super Bowl party. Also, Super Bowl Sunday is bad for several owners, including yours truly. Therefore, we will have our Secondary Super Bowl party at my house in Shalersville on Sunday Jan 19th, 3pm-10pm. NFL's AFC & NFC Championship games are that day, usually great games. We'll serve steaks around 6-7pm and beer, wine, champagne, cocktails, soft drinks all day long as long as they last. Billiards, foozball, darts, cards, squares will be available for any takers. Better halves are welcome. Hope everyone can come.
8. Your final kitty summary of transaction/winning amounts can be found on your team web page. Bring net amount owed (Totals=negative owed) to the Secondary Super Bowl party if you can't get it to me before. Net winnings (Totals=positive won) will be paid out at the party.
9. A big thanks to Vice Commish Tommy for managing lineups, transactions and website updates again this year. Also thanks to beautiful Margaret and baby Madelyn for sacrificing Papa Tom's time.
10. Per owners' requests for more up-to-date league data, we are considering going to a full internet managed league next year. That is, all lineups, transactions and trades would be done via internet - and updated immediately - without Commish contact. Some personal touch would be lost, but information would always be current. We will toss this around at the Secondary Super Bowl party, and are looking for your input. Let Vice or me know what you think.
11. It was another great season for the A-Son Fantasy Football League. We crowned our 7th different champion owner (all 7 champions original 1994 A-Son owners), and for the 2nd time saw an owner go from Fantasy Bowl to Toilet Crapper in 1 year. The high level of experience and involvement keeps the league competitive, unpredictable and exciting year after year. Hope to have everyone back next year. Let me know if you will/can not be back.
See you all Sunday, Jan 19 at my house, if not before. Commish Scott.